Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Blunted Taza Cup Hilt for rapier sparring? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
E.M. Tapley

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Blunted Taza Cup Hilt for rapier sparring?         Reply with quote

New to the boards and I must say kudos to the makers of this site, it's a major source of inspiration and information.

Here's my dilemma: I'm new to the Renaissance rapier game and live too far away from any school (or club for that matter), so I'm self studying with friends who have other martial art training. I'm the only one who can afford the swords however and I'm looking for a second purchase. My current sword is the Hanwei Practical, I have the short and long blades for it, and am unhappy with both (the 43" being too whippy and the 37" far too short since it's really 35" after the guard). From what I've experienced with these swords and others I've handled I would like to purchase a bated rapier.

While I have the money for another sword, I don't have the funds for a Darkwood or anything in the $300+ range. My current idea is to buy the Taza Cup HIlt, blunt the blade, and get a Darkwood pommel to better balance it (I'm a person that likes VERY close POB), totaling around $250. I know how to properly blunt blades (have done it loads of times to make weapons theatre safe) but am worried it would still be unsafe. Any thoughts? Should I just wait until after the first of the year to save money?

Thanks for your time.
Isaac H.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I must say that the hanwei Taza rapier blade is definately quite stiff,even on the practical version. You would be right in wanting to better balance it out,as the balance is terrible. In general,I find the sword unsuitable for robust combat. The quillons will most assuredly bend out of shape,and the pierced gaurd is a bit on the delicate side. Have you considered Zen Warrior Armory? (ZWA)
Wounds of flesh a surgeons skill may heal...

But wounded honor is only cured with steel.

We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves.
Each of us should please his neighbor for his good ,to build him up.
Romans 15:1-2
E.M. Tapley

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have looked at ZWA's swords several times, but have read a lot of negative things online about the craftsmanship. Ordered their 1999 series mask and some gloves which were very satisfactory though.

If the Practical Cup Hilt has a stiffer blade than the 43" Practical I may be able to deal with it, of course I'll suck up and buy another whippy 43" if there are really no better options.

Thanks for your insight!
Aleksei Sosnovski

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just an idea: if you have to buy another 43", cut the blade a couple of inches shorter, heat the point with propane torch and roll (rebate) it. Will make a safe blade with length and stiffness between those of 37" and 43". I myself have a sharp rapier blade by Hanwei laying around that I plan to turn into a training weapon this way.
Isaac H.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

E.M. Tapley wrote:
I have looked at ZWA's swords several times, but have read a lot of negative things online about the craftsmanship

Well,I must say,I disagree .I have been using their blades for 6 years now in some pretty rough combat,and I can't say enough about how much I like them. ZWA has amazing customer service too.

Wounds of flesh a surgeons skill may heal...

But wounded honor is only cured with steel.

We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves.
Each of us should please his neighbor for his good ,to build him up.
Romans 15:1-2
Christopher Treichel

PostPosted: Fri 30 Sep, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All I can say is if you want to not waste your money go with darkwood armory or arms and armor. Either one will get you a good rapier that will last you as long as you are fencing. Scott of Darkwood also has an economy line that will serve you much better than anything Hanwei can make.
E.M. Tapley

PostPosted: Fri 30 Sep, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aleksei Sosnovski wrote:
Just an idea: if you have to buy another 43", cut the blade a couple of inches shorter, heat the point with propane torch and roll (rebate) it. Will make a safe blade with length and stiffness between those of 37" and 43". I myself have a sharp rapier blade by Hanwei laying around that I plan to turn into a training weapon this way.

Now that is a very interesting idea, I might give it a swing if I do buy another 43".

Isaac H. wrote:
Well,I must say,I disagree .I have been using their blades for 6 years now in some pretty rough combat,and I can't say enough about how much I like them. ZWA has amazing customer service too.

I'm glad you have had a good experience with their swords, I'll take that into consideration while I'm searching.

Christopher Treichel wrote:
All I can say is if you want to not waste your money go with darkwood armory or arms and armor. Either one will get you a good rapier that will last you as long as you are fencing. Scott of Darkwood also has an economy line that will serve you much better than anything Hanwei can make.

A sword from Scott is at the top of my list, but again it's that price factor: I'd rather save up for his amazing (and expensive) English Cup Hilt then spend a smaller amount of money on one of the economy hilts, especially since I'm looking for an auxiliary sparring sword. Maybe I'll shoot him and email and see if he can fit a bated rapier blade on an economy hilt... that could be worth it to me.
Reinier van Noort

PostPosted: Sat 01 Oct, 2011 3:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You indicated you would spend about $250 on a modified Taza; for a bit more you have an economy Darkwood with a 42" Darkwood Blade. Go for that - you won't regret!

Alternatively, the Practical Cup Hilt is (IMHO) quite good value for money.

School voor Historische Schermkunsten

www.bruchius.com

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Blunted Taza Cup Hilt for rapier sparring?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic