Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > The Mercenary's Tailor Is Out Of Business Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: The Mercenary's Tailor Is Out Of Business         Reply with quote

We are officially out of business. PLEASE DO NOT PLACE AN ORDER WITH US. It will only make a little extra work for me in having to send your cash back to you. A five year old price structure that won't sell at 20% off and no ability to raise prices to accomodate all the cost increases of the last five years is simply untenable. We haven't made enough to cover overhead in several months, August was proped up by selling personal property on ebay, we've made $28 in the last two weeks and i'm out of property to sell. 5 years ago I made $11 an hour, I now make $6.70 an hour. I can literally make .55c more an hour flipping burgers for minimum wage. I am financially totally exhausted and if we're honest the economy will not be getting better anytime soon ( like years ).

Rather than filing bankruptcy ( which I really should, I am very likely going to lose my house in the future ) I will finish out all outstanding commissions in my off hours. My first priority is to get hired and take care of the over $1600.00 in finished orders that are simply sitting in the hall outside the shoppe because theres no money for the $120 in packing supplies to box them up. I will continue to build the remaining commisioned work so this pile is likely to get bigger before it gets smaller.

I will not be doing this part time. Taking money from a full time job to buy supplies to build something that does not currently sell at 20% off 5 year old prices is not at all practicle nor can I afford to do it when Burger King will definitely pay me $7.25 an hour to flip burgers part time nights.

To those who have done business with us over the years I appreciate very much you patronage and it was a pleasure to be of service to you.
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm really sorry to hear that Allan. Having lost my own business fairly recently I can truly sympathize with you. Good luck in the future and here's to hoping things get better for the both of us.
Winter is coming
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I regret seeing MT go. I have always been very satisfied with your work. This economy is really being hit hard and close to home for us. This is a tragedy amongst the community. Sad

I sincerely wish you the best as you move toward the future. Let us know if there is anything we can do to lend support to your cause now or in the future.

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Ben Potter
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm really sorry to hear about another Arms and Armour business closing. I completely understand where you are and am only a couple of steps away from there myself (as are most makers in these trying times).

Best of luck to you wherever your road leads.

Ben Potter Bladesmith

It's not that I would trade my lot
For any other man's,
Nor that I will be ashamed
Of my work torn hands-

For I have chosen the path I tread
Knowing it would be steep,
And I will take the joys thereof
And the consequences reap.
Bryan W.

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Truly sad to see this happen. Best of luck to you and your family. Hopefully when the economy turns around the Mercenary's Tailor will return in some capacity as well.
Christopher VaughnStrever

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is a sad day indeed. I am happy I was able to attain a full suit from you Allan!

All the best Allan.

Experience and learning from such defines maturity, not a number of age
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(5 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm so sorry to hear that Allan. I treasure my MT helm and shield, but feel bad now that I could not do more. You were always nice and patient in our dealings last year.

I can understand how dejected you are, but you obviously have many skills that hopefully you can put to good use. May you find unexpected new opportunities, and perhaps stage a successful return to this business one day.

-JDC
Adam Bohnstengel

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh wow, that's some bad news indeed. I won't pretend that I was about to place an order, but I definitely had a few things from you listed under my equipment to buy in a year or two. Sad I hope everything works out for you and you can get back on your feet soon. Best of Luck!
Violence is the supreme authority from which all other authority is derived.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry to hear it Allan. Unfortunately, I believe that you are just one of many in this industry that will find it more economically feasible to flip burgers than do what they are doing now.
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Josh MacNeil

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allan, I just want to say that both myself as well as many others in this community greatly appreciate what you've contributed to this industry. I've followed this downward spiral that's been occurring like many others, and nobody in their right mind can fault you for what has transpired. You've given everything and more to try and keep this thing afloat and your dedication is nothing short of amazing. You've left a HUGE mark on this industry and that is something to be proud of. As sad as it is to see MercTailor go, we all understand. This economy sucks out loud and you are one of the unfortunate victims of it. Now it's time for you to do what's right for yourself and your family as that is what's important now. Know that you will always have our utmost respect and admiration for what you've given to us all. Good luck to you in all your future endeavors. We're all rooting for you. Thanks for your dedication and the fine work you've done over the years.

Cheers and best wishes,

- JM
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Good luck         Reply with quote

This is bad news. At least I have the benefit of owning some of the fine work Allan has done for me in the past.

This is my second experience with a fine craftsman leaving the field. The first was Michal Dabek, who called it quits
after a particularly poor Pennsic. It's no fun travelling all the way back to Canada with nearly all the inventory that was brought down to sell...after that Michal went the way of making staircases and railings and other decorative metal work.
Like Allan, Michal also made it clear that he would not take ''part time'' work making a piece of armor, or helm, now and then, here and there,...I didn't understand that, as he still had access to a fully loaded metal shop, all the tools, and his know-how which was the main and essential ingredient.
Maybe it has to do with the need of turning the page, making a clean break, getting away from going over and over what could have been...if only...
Allan, if it is any consolation, I visited Michal a few weeks ago, had a beer or two, talked about his new addition to his house and his new grandchild, never touched the subject of armor or crossbows, and I came away from there with the feeling that Michal was very happy doing other stuff. In brief, there is life after armor , as there is after a sudden and unexpected job loss, or a bad accident with leaves you with less than you had before.
I wish you the best in your future endeavours.

Bon coeur et bon bras
Joe Fults

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sad news.

Good luck on whatever path you now choose.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allan first of all I wish you the best in finding a job and working a lot less hard than you have been for many years because you where probably killing yourself working much too hard and neglecting other aspects of your life.

I'm not worried at all about my orders being filled eventually and don't feel you have to rush to do so.

Lots of mixed feelings here: With current conditions and how hard you where working for so little profit, quitting only makes sense and I know that you deferred this decision for a long long time until the unfortunate reality of the situation gave you no other viable choice.

You do have a point that making this stuff partime doesn't make much sense on a commercial basis, as least for the near or not so near future.

Considering how hard you where working what was originally a dream job doing something you loved probably became more a burden and nightmare so that you may not want to do any armouring for a long long time after you finish outstanding orders. I guess is that I find this a real shame because your work and talent was and is very appreciated and a great loss for the community.

I selfishly sort of hope that in a year or two you might pic up hammer and tools and make pieces for the love of it at your own pace and occasionally offer something for sale but then it would be just hobby making and a little extra cash on the side.

I hope you keep in touch with us, but I can understand that this might be difficult for you emotionally as you may need to put all this behind you for now. Sad

When you do find a job and things are at least looking up I hope you will let us know here on " myArmoury ", and let those here closest to you know in personal e-mail: I do consider you as a good friend and care a lot more about you're wellbeing than about the sad news of losing just about the most reliable maker I have had dealings here or anywhere.

Well, making the decision was probably the worst part and there is a certain relief in moving forward.

All my best wishes.
Jean

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Good luck         Reply with quote

Jean-Carle Hudon wrote:

Like Allan, Michal also made it clear that he would not take ''part time'' work making a piece of armor, or helm, now and then, here and there,...I didn't understand that, as he still had access to a fully loaded metal shop, all the tools, and his know-how which was the main and essential ingredient.
Maybe it has to do with the need of turning the page, making a clean break, getting away from going over and over what could have been...if only...

I think Jean-Carle hit it on the nail here, although I still hope you can some day come back to armouring out of love of the art for it's own sake ...... but this is probably more me being in denial. Cry and Allan you may need to make a clean break of it, at least for now !

As you can imagine I'm back so soon with a comment because I'm really sad and upset about it all.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Charles B

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very sorry to hear this, Allan. I truly hope you're able to find relief, success, and comfort in whatever you pursue next. I feel sure that your dedication and professionalism will bring you through the rough patch eventually, and hopefully much sooner than later!
Christopher Finneman

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As sad as it is to see you leave the armouring business sometimes it is for the better.
As for the lucky ones who own pieces of your work Im sure they will see years of use due to your excellent craftsmanship and work.
Im lucky enough to own a full suit of your armor and try to flaunt it as much as humanly possible.
Although we all tried to keep you in buisness sometimes the best thing is to call it quits before digging yourself to deep. But Im sure many if not all of us have nothing but Praise to say to you and your work as well.
I fell in love with your work years ago and still to this day am in love. Not everyday do you find your quality and affordibility along with great work.
Many many thanks from me and all of us in offering your beyond excellent skills communication and plain old hospitality.
You have made it through things others would surley hide tail and quit.
Words alone cant equal the the joy I have when wearing or plainly staring at the suit you have made for me.
Youre one in a million Allan dont forget that.

Christopher

Proudly it stands until the worlds end. The victorious banner of love.
Ray Guethler

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Definitely sad to see him go. What a fine collection of works he has armored so many of us in. I guess this explains why I haven't gotten a reply about my order.
T. Arndt

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allan the demise of your business is a great loss to the community- and I am certain an even greater loss to yourself and family. You have my best wishes in whatever comes next.

For what it is worth, In addition to my pending order, I had planned on purchasing an additional pair of greaves and a gorget this coming year Sad
If paying my original shipping cost again will keep my pending order from joining the limbo-waiting-to-ship pile, I will gladly do so.

You obviously are very talented, I wish you the best of luck in your job search.

Wisconsin Historical Fencing Association (WHFA) - La Crosse
A HEMA Alliance Affiliate

“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?” -Juvenal
Tim Harris
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My sympathies Allan.

I am only part-time myself, but skating dangerously close to a similar situation.

Love of what we do has to be a major motivation, because the hourly rate is pretty depressing when you work it out.

All the very best to you.
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear of this news. Though I was never a customer, it was clear to me that Mecenary Tailor was something special and its loss will be felt in the reproduction market.

For what it's worth, I had plans to become a customer in the future. Yes, I know that doesn't and didn't do MT a lick of good in the here and now, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

"Tears are for the craven, prayers are for the clown.
Halters for the silly neck that cannot keep a crown.
As my loss is grievous, so my hope is small.
For Iron, Cold Iron, must be master of men all..."
-Cold Iron, Rudyard Kipling

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > The Mercenary's Tailor Is Out Of Business
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: