XIII.1 in Records
Hey friends,

I am interested in the XIII.1 in Oakeshott's Records. I saw a picture of this today from Luka Borscak in this thread:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...highlight=

That got me thinking. Does anyone else have any information on this sword? Pictures? More detailed information than what Records gives?

Thanks again for your help.
Just some additional clarification. I like the idea of a shorter blade with parallel edges and a two-handed grip, which seems to be part of the definition for and very unique to a type XIII. Chad's Featured Article on this says:
Quote:
The cross-section of these blades is best defined as lenticular: a flattened ovoid shape. Grips tend to be longer than the earlier types, with an average length of around 6 inches, allowing for the off-hand to be used for extra leverage and power.

Additionally, in Records Oakeshott says:
Quote:
Characteristic of this type ... is a blade whose edges run very nearly parallel to a rounded point, and whose tang is noticably longer than the usual 3"-4" (8.2cms or 11.1cms) of a single-hand sword of the preceding types.

I am really fond of those that I have found that have triple fullers. I thought that I only have pictures of one such sword, but the cross guard on the one that Lukas posted looks different to me, so it may be that I have pictures of two different sword.

In short, any XIII with triple fullers will qualify, not just the XIII.1 in Records :)

Thanks again,

Eric
I'm sure it's not the same sword, fittings are different, this one from my thread even looks to me like it maybe has 4 fullers, I'm not sure, the picture is deceiving...
There is also XIIIa from Ingolstadt Peter Johnsson documented some years ago, but that one has one longer fuller and two short ones beside the long one, much like type XX swords...
Luka Borscak wrote:
I'm sure it's not the same sword, fittings are different, this one from my thread even looks to me like it maybe has 4 fullers, I'm not sure, the picture is deceiving...
There is also XIIIa from Ingolstadt Peter Johnsson documented some years ago, but that one has one longer fuller and two short ones beside the long one, much like type XX swords...

I zoomed into the photo to count the fullers, but wasn't sure. Do you have a higher resolution photo somewhere?
I wish I had, if there are 4 fullers, that's quite unique. We'll have to ask our Canadian members who have seen this one in person. ;)
You're talking about the sword in the ROM? (that's what we call the Royal Ontario Museum around here).

It has 3 fullers running halfway down the blade. It's a much larger sword than XIII.1, a true XIIIa warsword I would say. I don't know the exact dimensions but from memory I'd say the blade is about 34". The cross is thought to be a later medieval replacement - not original. There are Arabic inscriptions in the fullers so it must have been used (captured/given away) in the Middle East.

More photos here: https://picasaweb.google.com/108141777645861336119/ROMMedievalSwords
J.D. Crawford wrote:
You're talking about the sword in the ROM? (that's what we call the Royal Ontario Museum around here).

It has 3 fullers running halfway down the blade. It's a much larger sword than XIII.1, a true XIIIa warsword I would say. I don't know the exact dimensions but from memory I'd say the blade is about 34". The cross is thought to be a later medieval replacement - not original. There are Arabic inscriptions in the fullers so it must have been used (captured/given away) in the Middle East.

More photos here: https://picasaweb.google.com/108141777645861336119/ROMMedievalSwords

JD,

Thank you. I appreciate all you knowledgable people showing me where these things are and where I can find better pictures of them.

Does anyone have any good pictures of the one that Oakeshott puts up in Records?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: