Go to page Previous  1, 2

Just so that we are all clear I'm talking about the weapon on the right.

So would it be called a vouge francais?

You can see why I compared it to a nagamaki.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagamaki
It's actually the glaive.
Here is a pic of a modern replica that I found on line(can't remember where though)...
So is it just a short glave? What would the name for it be?
It might not have a contemporary name beyond "this thing I'm carrying." If you're asking for a modern categorisation, though . . . no idea.
Is it just me or are those replicas looking way too pointy for safe combat?
Awesome!

For quite some time, I had wondered why there was no European equivalent to the nagamaki. Guess I was mistaken. :)

Now I just need to find someone to make me one.
i think youd be reasonably safe to call it a glaive, generally haft length doesnt feature much into classifying polearms
mostly polearms are seperated from one another via the shape of the head, spears differentiated from a partizan poleaxe differentiated from halberd
this is most likely a glaive.
After looking again, is it certain that the handle isn't just hidden in the throng behind the wielder? Has anyone seen a period glaive with a haft that short before?
Scott Hanson wrote:
After looking again, is it certain that the handle isn't just hidden in the throng behind the wielder? Has anyone seen a period glaive with a haft that short before?

the pole-arms haft length doesnt stop it being a glaive i dont think, also remember that a polearm can be different in size depending on its purpose.
Quote:
the pole-arms haft length doesnt stop it being a glaive i dont think, also remember that a polearm can be different in size depending on its purpose

I agree, I just have never seen such a short haft on anything other than perhaps a poleax (however you like to spell that one). I'm just starting to get more interested in polearms though, so I don't have a lot of experience in them. From the examples and books I have, it seems like polearm classification is still fairly subjective.

As the only example given was a modern reproduction, I was wondering if it was something actually used in period or just an interpretation based on that one painting shown earlier. I like the look of it, and it seems like something that could have been used, just hoping someone could provide a link or a reference to a similar weapon used in period.
Russ Ellis wrote:

[ Linked Image ]

Good lord! Look at that skulls split right through the helmet, the guts spilling out out of the horseman. Not to mention the guy throwing the huge rock who couldn't care less about the arrow embedded in his chest. And the suspiciously content horses.

hrafns saga sveinbjarnarsonar
Not to derail the whole topic here, but this very much reminds me of a Norse contemporary saga (hrafns saga sveinbjarnarsonar) where the host tells his guest the grotesque story of the death of St. Thomas, with the very vivid description of how his brain splashes out. The guest sighs romantically something along the lines of "That must have been a most beautiful death".

Of course, the same thing happens to him shortly after.
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: