Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Hi Patrik,

It does indeed seem to be one of JT's swords-- while the sword is great (although the bronze engraving/etching somehow doesn't feel quite "right" to me-- I don't know why), it's the scabbard that really catches my eye. Gorgeous!

David
There is a merchant that sells those same castings that are on the scabbard, but I can't seem to find them again. When I get time this morning, I'll see if I can find them.
The merchant who has those's casting's is Raymonds Quit Press.I bought those exact same one's.He has some very nice offering's. http://www.quietpress.com/index.html
Beowulf & Grendal look's like it's going to be a awesome movie.The prop's and costume's look very nice indeed!Very impressed!
Should I cringe at the "lamellar" armour made of leather? Is there a historical precedent for that? From my limited understanding, lamellar armor is made of iron pieces (at least in the byzantium and the surrounding areas).

Alexi

Attachment: 42.63 KB
Valintine_Helm.sized.jpg

Attachment: 60.84 KB
iceland_120.jpg
That's much more like it
Alexi,

Would you rather see a Viking Conquistadore, ala 13th warrior? :eek:

Much of the armor looks more like 8th-9th century Viking gear. However, as long as it's a quality production I'll forgive them a bit here and there. After suffering through things like Kevin Costner as Robin Hood, and Dennis Quaid in Dragonheart, I think it's safe to say that things are looking up for the genre.
I did recognize the dragon on the ships prow as a decent replica of a period piece... So someone is doing their homework...

See it here in the BM:

[LINK]

And here from the location in Iceland:
Patrick Kelly wrote:
Alexi,

Would you rather see a Viking Conquistadore, ala 13th warrior? :eek:

Absolutely not :wtf:

I agree with you, that this seems orders of magnitude better than what we had to suffer through recently, movie wise.
I also asked the question, because I was not sure as to whether such leather armor really existed, or that was just a way for them to save money and still be somewhat accurate.

Alexi
There has been speculation that the Sutton Hoo Ship grave contained some type of leather armor.That would fit into the Beowulf time period.But as I said,it was only speculation.
As long as the costumes aren't refugees from the "Xena" series we should be fairly happy. Unlike the recent Arthur movie.
You know, the events surrounding 1066 would make a superb move. If only the director could stick to the history and not cast Kate Winslet as the ward of Evil Harold, and not have William invading England to rescue (and shag) Kate Winslet.

Brian M

P.S. Now, if Sophie Marceau (the French princess from "Braveheart") were cast in the role of damsel in distress, then I'm all for a little artistic liscense! I could totally see invading England for that.
I'm waiting for my big break into movies when they finally do one on the "Cloth of Gold" tournament....

But, I agree that it looks as if this movie is making at least a concerted effort to be more authentic in its props - now if they only stick to the original story for the script.
Kirk Lee Spencer wrote:
I did recognize the dragon on the ships prow as a decent replica of a period piece... So someone is doing their homework...

I holding with you Kirk, that ship dragon head is my favourite.
http://www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk/compass/res...157081.jpg
Patrik Erik Lars Lindblom wrote:
Kirk Lee Spencer wrote:

I holding with you Kirk, that ship dragon head is my favourite.
http://www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk/compass/res...157081.jpg

Hey Patrik...

I like it so much I am planning to use it (on a smaller scale of course) as a grip for a Seax I'm designing.

ks
:surprised: That are a good choice Kirk, i like it, hope you show it when it is done. :)

Attachment: 42.06 KB
dragonhead.jpg

Hi Patrik...

Wow!!! Thanks for the pic... The only picture I had seen was from the British Museum site.
Now I can see the detail on the neck... fantastic!

ks
There are alot of gallery updates on Beowulf & Grendel movie site and new links,

http://www.beowulf-movie.com/

Weapons

Daneland
USERNAME: stellan
PASSWORD: skarsgard
I've noticed that a weapons gallery has been added to this website. Hopefully we'll see some interesting stuff.
Patrick Kelly wrote:
I've noticed that a weapons gallery has been added to this website. Hopefully we'll see some interesting stuff.

You mean like this lil' beauty?

http://www.beowulfandgrendel.com/beowulfpictures/BWSWORD1.jpg
[ Linked Image ]

Although the way the ring is attached to the hilt bothers me slightly for some reason...
Michael Smith wrote:
...and, most disturbing of all, he is a fatherless creature ie cannot be identified as somebody's son. To the Anglo-Saxon mind, this makes Grendel monstrous indeed.
Regards

http://www.beowulfandgrendel.com/site/frames/framescast.html

check out the cast of characters. Seems like Grendel has a dad and a kid.
I'm really looking forward to this movie as well. Beowulf was one of the first books I loved. Hopefully they won't butcher the story the way we just butchered The Iliad, which was another of the first books that I loved. In fact, I'd prefer it if nobody butchered another book that I love ever again. Please? :D
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Page 2 of 7

Jump to: