Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The commonality of diversity. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: The commonality of diversity.         Reply with quote

Just some rambling thoughts.

My trip to Albion last weekend reminded me of one of the things that I find so great about our hobby. The gathering at Albion represented our hobby in microcosm. We gathered together a very diverse group of people who come from widely varying backgrounds, and have wildly different beliefs. We had yours truly a cop, an attorney (you know it's serious when I rub elbows with one of those Laughing Out Loud ) a couple of private business owners, a purchasing agent, a school teacher, a couple of musicians, as well as a few artistic types and who knows what else. Not only are our professional lives very different but we vary just as widely in our religious and political beliefs. The only serious political discussions I ever have seem to occur up in New Glarus, after I've had a few drinks, and they've always been very civil and informative for both parties in spite of our viewpoints.

We all get along and have a great time in spite of our differences. The only thing we have in common is this obssesion with the sword and what It symbolizes. Perhaps it's that symbolism that influences us and allows us to relate on a common ground in such a fine fashion. I call it an obssesion because that's what it obviously is for me. I've had it for as long as I can remember. Hopefully, in the not too distant future it will take me half-way around the world so it's not getting any better with time.

I just keep thinking what a better place the world would be if everyone could find this type of common ground.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Bob Reinke

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I dont think I could agree with you more.
I had a similar experience at lanzefest, and again last weekend at the harvest faire. I think I have mede more friends in the last few months than I have in years, and it is all due to this hobby.

Ok, its late, and I had a big sappy rant all typed up, but I really think you hit the nail on the head.

If I had a drink in my hand, I would raise a toast................

Bob

Bob Reinke
Order of the Northern Star
(almost formerly known as The Kings Champions)
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct, 2004 4:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
"I just keep thinking what a better place the world would be if everyone could find this type of common ground."

Amen, Patrick, amen !

Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Sat 16 Oct, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Diversity is a big part of what makes the world go around. I'm just a common blue collar, basic education guy myself but have had many friends with completely different backgrounds. It certainly has made my life interesting especially when we can meet on common ground and see things the same. Our "sword" community is few and far between so it's forums like this one that really helps bring us together. If your a cop, laywer, VP or dishwasher it's fine with me as long as there's mutual respect.
Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The commonality of diversity.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic