Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > I've Been Pretty Busy... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Benjamin Rial

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 02 Sep, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: I've Been Pretty Busy...         Reply with quote

I know it has been awhile since I last posted folks, but business has been pretty good (thank God) and I've been pounding away in the shop. Most of what I have done has been my more or less "standard" items that I have posted on my site. However, I've been thinking about good ol' Chris and Craig over at Arms & Armor lately. Years ago, My first real sword purchase was a Black Prince. I ordered it through their catalog and it was before the redesign. Old-style cross and plain pommel. It was back when Kerry was still on the staff and I think he was the one that built the one I have (at least that is what I remember Kerry saying). I still feel that it is an exceptional piece. There have been many renditions by various makers, and with all due respect to them all, AA's is the best. Actually I will not make a specific Black Prince piece because it is kind of a hero worship thing for me. I know, I'm weird. I've learned to live with myself.

My first purchase from AA so many years ago was one of their "Classic Large Daggers". As some of you may know I'm a dagger nut. Well, just to satisfy my own peculiarities and as a salute to AA, I decided to effect a little redo. Using the original guard and pommel, which I absolutely love, I forged one of my own blades and crafted a new grip from black walnut. The steel is 1095, differentially tempered, though not polished for the hamon. Here's the result:
I am NOT offering this for sale, nor am I going to offer the style for sale. This is simply a nod and salute of respect to Arms & Armor that helped fuel my obsession for sharp steel. Thanks guys!

Attachment: 83 KB
Dagger2.jpg

Attachment: 75.73 KB
Dagger1.jpg

"The only thing new in this world is the history we don't know."-Pres. Harry S. Truman

www.forgedintime.com

Vel Arte, Vel Marte
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 02 Sep, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice, I like the geometry of the handle and at times leaving the wood exposed is really a good idea when the wood has such a nice grain. Big Grin Cool
You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Fri 02 Sep, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice work Ben! Cool

Have you shared it with Craig yet? I've heard he's a little busy with the MN Ren Fest and all. Happy

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Benjamin Rial

PostPosted: Fri 02 Sep, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Scott and Jean, thanks for the compliments. I have alot of beautifully figured black walnut that I'm starting to use. Really exceptional stuff, of which this piece is the plainest. I find that, except for swords, I really prefer a "naked" grip on my knives and daggers.

Scott, no I haven't shared it with Craig yet. I know he is probably bug-nuts with the renny right about now. If he hasn't seen it in a week or two maybe I'll send him a head's up.

"The only thing new in this world is the history we don't know."-Pres. Harry S. Truman

www.forgedintime.com

Vel Arte, Vel Marte
Benjamin Rial

PostPosted: Tue 06 Sep, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's a small bump for Craig's perusal. I am curious as to why AA discontinued this particular model. The design is such a classic, at least in my mind.

www.forgedintime.com

Vel Arte, Vel Marte

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > I've Been Pretty Busy...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic