Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Development of the Kettle Hat in the 15th century? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Andres Trujillo

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jul, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Development of the Kettle Hat in the 15th century?         Reply with quote

Like the title says, I'm interessted in the development/transition of the kettle hat from it's well known form, to quite different forms throughout the 15th century.

There seem to be several developments throughout Europe and during the 15th century. There's the Burgudian Chapel de Fer or the Spanish Cabacete, to name only two.

1st I need help to do some research on my owne. I skimmed through several boards, but the search parameters "kettle hat 15th" returned a hugh load of threads..., which mostly didn't answer my questions.

The only good source of pictures I have atm is imareal, which suites me fine, as it is very easy to use and I speak German.
There's also Madragore, which I really find hard to use.
But there must be at least a good dozent ways to get the information I need, so I appreachiate any help on the topic "how to help myself".

2nd Maybe somebody already knows the answer to the following questio and can point me in the right direction or post it here, for all users:
I'd really like to know if there a distinguishable styles for regions/countries and time. Or did the development startet earlier than the 15th century? Where to older forms stil in use?

One way or the other, I hope to shed some light on the topic Wink

With best regards,
Andrés

PS: I hope the way I'm asking is not rude and easy to understand. English is not my first language and sometimes the meaning of a sentence I write is not what I wanted to express or "sounds wrong", so people might find it offending.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jul, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are distinctive regional/cultural styles, as suggested by the image below. The 15th c. does seem to be a time of great experimentation but some of these types originated earlier than that.

Attachment: 95.53 KB
helmets.jpg

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Frances Perry
Industry Professional

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Tue 23 Aug, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you so much for this selection of Kettle Helms and other helms from the 15th century.

I am looking for an appropriate Kettle helm for an English billman circa 1460 - 1485.

I am on a bit of a budget, but had narrowed the search down to several helm designs below (though not necessarily from the seller stated):

1. http://www.roy-king.com/kettle.htm

2. http://www.medieval-market.biz/podglad.php?z=...zbir_2.jpg

3. http://www.armae.com/moyenage/casques_medievaux/chapel_de_fer.htm

4. http://jollyknight.com.ua/armoury/product_inf...ucts_id=64 (my current favourite).

What do you think of these, and which design would you suggest I steer towards (you have the option of also saying none!!).

Thank you for your help with this.

“In these modern times, many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use.”
- Achille Marozzo, 1536
Mrak E.Smith

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2011 2:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
There are distinctive regional/cultural styles, as suggested by the image below. The 15th c. does seem to be a time of great experimentation but some of these types originated earlier than that.

Sean,That seems a great pic, much better than Bashford Dean's old and oversimplified diagram of armour evolution.
could you please inform the resource of this pic?
James Millard

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2011 4:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's a sketch by Gerry Embleton for the re-enactment group "The Company of Saynt George". Go here and open Dragon #5 and you can see a full-size version. There're also pictures of tents, tools and furniture.
Mrak E.Smith

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James Millard wrote:
It's a sketch by Gerry Embleton for the re-enactment group "The Company of Saynt George". Go here and open Dragon #5 and you can see a full-size version. There're also pictures of tents, tools and furniture.

Many thanks for the great information~
James Millard

PostPosted: Thu 25 Aug, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mrak E.Smith wrote:

Many thanks for the great information~

You're welcome! You can find other work by Gerry Embleton in the other issues of Dragon, some titles published by Osprey Publishing, and a book called Medieval Military Costume.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Development of the Kettle Hat in the 15th century?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic