Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Arms museum in Sofia, Bulgaria Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Neil Melville

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2011 5:51 am    Post subject: Arms museum in Sofia, Bulgaria         Reply with quote

Can anybody advise me on the museums in Sofia which have arms and armour collections, please. I shall be there for a couple of days in September.
Thanks,
Neil

N Melville
Trifon Voivodov

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2011 2:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There aren't any museums in Sofia, dedicated to medieval and Renaissance arms and armour. Most collections are ethnological or modern weaponry (XIX-XX century), yet you can find some interesting things in the National museum of history. The Park-museum of Wladislaw Warnenchik is more interesting, because you can find many XIV c. arms but it is in Varna and that is a bit far from your destination.

You can check also the Museum of military history but their exhibitions are mainly modern as you can see in the site .
Neil Melville

PostPosted: Tue 02 Aug, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Trifon, that's useful. I'll certainly visit the Nat. History museum. You are right about Varna - it's too far and I shall be going in the opposite direction, from Sofia into Macedonia.
Neil

N Melville
Viktor Chudinov

PostPosted: Wed 03 Aug, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The national museum of history has some very interesting medieval items, including an awesome XIIa sword, You can also check the "National archaeological museum" and the Military history museum.

If by any chance you're coming to Varna drop a PM so we could probably drink a beer or something

Trifon, The Park-museum of Wladislaw Warnenchik has mostly XVth century arms and armour, not XIVc. And most of the items there are reproductions, some quite bad. There are interesting items though

I wonder...do deaf schizophrenics hear voices...
Trifon Voivodov

PostPosted: Wed 03 Aug, 2011 2:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, of course they are XVc, I was thinking about the 14xx and by mistake wrote XIVc, sorry for the trouble. And yes, some reproductions are quite inaccurate but this museum shows many knightly and shiny things so it is still interesting.

Neil, if you wish I can accompany you in the History museum, I was planning to visit it sometime soon myself. I won't be of much help because history is not my strong side and my mostly-good-for-reading English but at least you won't get lost in the city.
Neil Melville

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Viktor, good idea, but I'm going in the opposite direction - into Macedonia.

Trifon, thanks for the offer - at the moment I don't know which day or what time I shall go to the History Museum. But I will post you here if I decide to accept. I will have my wife with me so I cannot spend a lot of time on the arms & armour and do not want to waste your time.
Cheers, Neil

N Melville

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Arms museum in Sofia, Bulgaria
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic