Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Entry Level WMA Longsword Freeplay Gear Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Fri 05 Aug, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mackenzie Cosens wrote:
I agree that thumb is too bulky, its an artifact of the design being mainly for SCA heavy combat where in the old days gauntlets had to contact the weapon haft to transfer the force of the blow to the weapon. Also the clam shell can be a bit of a pain, they don't feel the same subtlety of control on the weapon as finger gauntlets. I also agree black plastic does not sit well in my aesthetic either although I like the look more then hockey gloves. They do exist at a reasonable price break and are protective. I am really curious what Scott is coming up with.

Hi again Mackenzie,

It didn't occur to me before, but the EGG gauntlets, being plastic, are probably fairly easy to modify. Being Kydex, the thumb edges could probably be dremeled down a bit.

Yours, and with apologies for brevity,

CHT

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Mackenzie Cosens

PostPosted: Sat 06 Aug, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christian Henry Tobler wrote:
Mackenzie Cosens wrote:
I agree that thumb is too bulky, its an artifact of the design being mainly for SCA heavy combat where in the old days gauntlets had to contact the weapon haft to transfer the force of the blow to the weapon. Also the clam shell can be a bit of a pain, they don't feel the same subtlety of control on the weapon as finger gauntlets. I also agree black plastic does not sit well in my aesthetic either although I like the look more then hockey gloves. They do exist at a reasonable price break and are protective. I am really curious what Scott is coming up with.

Hi again Mackenzie,

It didn't occur to me before, but the EGG gauntlets, being plastic, are probably fairly easy to modify. Being Kydex, the thumb edges could probably be dremeled down a bit.

Yours, and with apologies for brevity,

CHT

I was looking at mine with modification in mind Happy Possibly replacing the thumb with metal and targeted heat from a torch to reshape the metacarpal plate.
Andrew Shultz

PostPosted: Sat 06 Aug, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All the advice given is fine advice for the group they're in, but completely useless to you if your local groups don't match.

Really the people you freeplay with will be the ones you can get to often, so the important thing it to match their equipment (assuming they're not nuts and unsafe). If you go out and spend hundreds of dollars on things you can't use locally, that's a waste.

If you are starting your own group you'd better choose cheap, because if you have things to spar with and no one else does, you're also not getting any practice time. That means plastics and modern sporting pieces, not steel.

It's all about your local context - match that, not what voices on the internet who you will not spar with often tell you.

Andy Shultz

Forte Swordplay: Boston Longsword and other Historical European Martial Arts
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Tue 09 Aug, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Mackenzie Cosens wrote:
T. Arndt wrote:

What do you think of this Windrose sallet?

What are you thoughts on Jean's safety glasses under sallet idea? Too risky?"

People who I know who have fought SCA Heavy while wearing glasses under a helmet will tell you that glasses and helmets are a real pain, Safe glasses under a helmet would be a stop gap that in the long run you will not be happy with..

Even though it was my suggestion I can imagine a few problems:

A) The glasses may fog up.

B) Even my regular glasses don't fit or work with some of my helms as the corners of the frames are in contact with the sides of the face opening and this can put some painful pressure on the bridge of the nose. That is for helms where I can use my glasses !
( Doesn't work at all with my close fitting Italian Barbute for example ).

C) See (B) but worse as the safety glasses tend to be bulkier than ordinary eye glasses. ( if you wear glasses already it may make thing twice as challenging. Wink ).

D) Might still work if one can find frames that sit very close to the face and don't make contact with the helm with a decent margin of space.

E) If the glasses shift out of position it can be annoying and not always easy to push back in place without removing the helm.

F) The sallet ocular even if wide will block your vision a great deal more than a fencing mask screen.

So , yes, sort of a stop gap solution that " might " work if you can find glasses that combined with a Sallet that won't interfere with each other in the ways I just described. Wink

All excellent points...and one reason (not the biggest but one of the major ones) that I got Laser surgery on my eyes. I really got tired of my glasses fogging up, getting covered by sweat, getting in the way under helmets, etc. Also, if you wear a set of glasses under a helmet they can become a liability if the helmet gets hit hard on the front since the glasses might break or cut your face. I recommend depending upon the helmet, and getting a good well built design for helmet, and doing without safety or vision glasses when you fight for this reason.
T. Arndt

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 09 Aug, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christian Henry Tobler wrote:
.... And a simple GDFB breastplate will run you all of $85 dollars from the very reliable folks at Kult of Athena.....

Perhaps I am wearing my GDFB breastplate (just purchased) incorrectly , but it prevents me from holding Ochs or the above the head variant of vom Tag. It should be fine for Renfair and the like, but as it stands, if I had to fight for my life, I would leave the breastplate on the display shelf. Is this breast place more encumbering than is usual? If I feel ambitious, I may try to cut deeper arm wells- at least it was cheap.

Wisconsin Historical Fencing Association (WHFA) - La Crosse
A HEMA Alliance Affiliate

“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?” -Juvenal

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Entry Level WMA Longsword Freeplay Gear
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: