Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Crecy Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Paul B.G

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Albion Crecy         Reply with quote

Im a little bit excited, a rather large box arrived at my office this morning Happy I signed for it at my reception and took it back to my office and closed the door Wink

Ok first off, thankyou Australian international / domestic Customs nobody else could have bastardised the packaging any further, the box looks like it has been opened a number of times fully unpacked and then stuffed back in, they didn’t even put the moulded protection back on the blade, just put back into the box, ill post some pics later tonight when I get home. Also I assume that Albion does not send the wooden boxes for international orders as mine has come in just a cardboard box??

Ive only really had a one min look, keep in mind that this is the 1st sword that I have ever held, but im pretty happy with my quick look, ill fully unpack it tonight and ill post a real post with my full impression.

Cheers - Paul

A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person

O====[::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

Tho’ much is taken, much abides; and tho’
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

—Alfred Lord Tennyson, Ulysses
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Albion Crecy         Reply with quote

Paul B.G wrote:
Also I assume that Albion does not send the wooden boxes for international orders as mine has come in just a cardboard box??

The wooden crates are only for the Museum line swords. The other lines get custom-made cardboard boxes. Albion's boxing solution is pretty damn well executed with their foam inserts holding the swords in place. That is, before customs gets a hold of them!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Dan R

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Other than customs hitting me up with fees mine arrived safe and sound but I did get it shipped in the plastic gun cases that albion sell. I purchased another Albion second hand and that just shipped in the normal box and that also arrived fine.

Did they leave you a little note in there? the one time I have had customs go through one of my packages they put a note in there to say it had been inspected.
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Albion Crecy         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Paul B.G wrote:
Also I assume that Albion does not send the wooden boxes for international orders as mine has come in just a cardboard box??

The wooden crates are only for the Museum line swords. The other lines get custom-made cardboard boxes. Albion's boxing solution is pretty damn well executed with their foam inserts holding the swords in place. That is, before customs gets a hold of them!

Filmswords also gets the wooden crate treatment.

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Brett Whinnen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Can't wait to see the photos Paul!

So Brian, does that mean if I order the Arn sword I'll get a crate?
Paul B.G

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Guys, guess I was just hoping for the wooden box that I’d seen in a few posts, not to worry Wink

No note from customs just a sticker stating that it had been repacked. Ill post some photos tonight but they really did take it apart, they have ripped out the foam inserts that appear to have been glued to the box, probably done sword in hand and they didn’t even reinsert the foam back around the blade. Doesn’t appear to be any damage, but I will fully inspect tonight Wink

Cheers - Paul

A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person

Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brett Whinnen wrote:

Yes, a wooden crate inside a white box, no less. Cool

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Brett Whinnen

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian K. wrote:
Brett Whinnen wrote:

Yes, a wooden crate inside a white box, no less. Cool

Hmm, an Albion Arn and scabbard by you, now that would indeed be cool...

Anyway sorry for de-railing Paul Happy Look forward to checking this post later this evening or over the weekend. Now I bet you can't wait for the other work to be completed Big Grin Wink
Paul B.G

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2011 4:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok finally home and had a chance to take a few photos with the iPhone (sorry) Ill get a chance on Sunday to take some better shots in natural light, to many reflective surfaces to take photos at night time.

Have to say that I love this sword, its feel fantastic in the hand, its just how I imagined it would be. Also have to say a big thankyou to Adam from roninswords.com.au for making this such an ezy process.

You can see from the pics that the packaging treatment is a bit disappointing but the sword was none the worse for the treatment. There are a few minor imperfections and some staining on the guard, but I still have to give it a good clean up, wipe off the oil etc.

And while I think of it, would you all recommend renaissance wax to look after it??

Sorry ill take some better pics on Sunday Wink

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love that sword.... It has always been one on my to buy list.

It might just have been your postal service. I have been in many countries and have had some very 'interesting' experiences. One time I got a Indiana Jones collectors edition of all the DVDs and the box had been scalped and was crushed and the shoe tread was still visible. When I complained as it was insured they said I needed to prove they had damaged it...... I asked if I could go and look at their shoes. Laughing Out Loud

At least the sword is in good condition right!

RPM
Terry Thompson

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2011 6:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

WOOT! (want one of those)
It looks like there's some oxidation on it. The problem with other people playing with your toys is that they don't have the presence of mind to wear gloves or whipe it down after putting their greasy fingers all over it.

I like the cardboard boxes from Albion. Having purchased shipping boxes in the past (a little 12x16x16 was like $7 US!!), I can tell you that though it is "only" cardboard, It is a very durable box. But at the same time it saves on shipping weight which translates to cheaper shipping costs to you. I'm saving my box, because it's easily a $20-$30 cardboard box.

The one to Australia looks like it's seen much better days. I think it must have been used as a rudder to steer the boat that got it there.
If you want a wooden crate, I'm sure that Albion will sell you one if you ask, but you'd be better off commissioning one locally, with the costs of shipping sky rocketing. The shipping alone would pay for a crate.
-Terry
Jeremy V. Krause

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul B.G wrote:
Thanks Guys, guess I was just hoping for the wooden box that I’d seen in a few posts, not to worry Wink

No note from customs just a sticker stating that it had been repacked. Ill post some photos tonight but they really did take it apart, they have ripped out the foam inserts that appear to have been glued to the box, probably done sword in hand and they didn’t even reinsert the foam back around the blade. Doesn’t appear to be any damage, but I will fully inspect tonight Wink

Cheers - Paul

Oh, the wooden boxes aren't that great,

Mine fell apart- very thin plywood. I prefer the cardboard. The wooden boxes are much too rustic to house a fine Albion sword for display. That's JMHO though- you aren't paying for the box!!

I really want to handle a Crecy one of these days.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Still a great sword and still looks like better work than almost anybody else.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Last edited by Joe Fults on Fri 29 Jul, 2011 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Does customs get excited about the packages they inspect?

The repack almost looks like the customs boys took it out for some swinging in a bit of haste then tried to put it all back in the box again (real fast) so nobody would find out what they had done, and then couldn't figure out how to put it all back together again.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Paul B.G

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jul, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just a quick question guys, you will notice in my 6th photo looking down the blade at the hilt that it has a pretty rough finish in the insert, is this normal or am I expecting a bit to much? Wink apart from this minor rough finish the sword is pretty much floorless.

Just been giving it a clean up and about to use some WD40 on the blade untill i can get something a bit better Wink and ill try and take some better pics Wink

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jul, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd call it normal for most vendors. Abnormal for high end custom. Not what I have normally seen from Albion over the years, BUT I've seen much less of their work first hand for the last two or three years.
Paul B.G

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jul, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmmm it’s the same on both sides of the blade, it doesn’t really detract from the sword but nonetheless its still a pretty rough finish. Its more surprising as I thought that the hilts were cast and as such shouldn’t really need that much tooling, lol says the Accountant with no experience in this field Wink

Uploaded with ImageShack.us/URL]
[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/18/img0534ev.jpg/]

Last edited by Paul B.G on Sat 13 Aug, 2011 4:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Eric G.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just got my Crecy about a week before you and mine has the same flaws. It's unfortunate, but probably something that only I will notice.
Eric Gregersen
www.EricGregersen.com
Knowledge applied is power.
Jeremy V. Krause

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd say that looks a little rough,

It's unfortunate that you are all the way in AUS. If that was on a sword Albion sent me I would send it back to be fixed but I live in the US. Still, this amount of imperfection is consistent with some period examples I would think, though doesn't quite match the nearly perfect symmetry of the rest of the sword.

I'd be a little annoyed.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think this is mostly going to come down to personal expectation for the product. Some roughness in that area is almost always par for the course from almost any vendor, although it is admittedly much less usual for Albion (in my experience). The roughness is most likely only going to be noticeable on very close inspection (or when specifically looking for it) and it should not adversely impair the performance of the sword in any way. It honestly looks purely cosmetic and very minor.

That said, if you're concerned, you need to contact Albion and see what they say about it. This may or may not be within their acceptable finish standards. Only they can tell you that and only they can remedy the issue if its not within specification.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Crecy
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: