What is better steel for swords - 1075 or 6150?
Albion is no longer using 1075 steel to make their sword's. They are now using 6150 steel. Mike told me that it is a great steel that they have perfected on, when it comes to heat treating. And also said that 6150 is a lil' better than 1075. I trust in Albions' word 100%; they are not known to let their customer's down. I would just like some feedback from you guy's...
6150 has a lower carbon content than most sword steels (which are typically around 0.6%) and is used in gears and the like. It has high shock resistance and toughness. Typical sword steels are spring steels like 1060, 1065, 5160 and 9260. Every alloy is a compromise depending on what aspects you want to emphasis - many are mutually exclusive. Hardness, toughness and other properties are more or less desirable depending on the application and the maker.

I don't know that you can argue that this is necessarily better than other sword steels - just different. Time will tell if this is a good choice, but I suspect that Albion has done their testing and 6150 bests suits their requirements.
You might find the following explanation of steel grade helpful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_steel_grades
I believe Arms and Armor has been using 6150 for years and Ithey've been in business since 1982. I have bought a lot of Arms and Armor swords, always Outstanding quality!!!!! I've been told that. For European swords that it gets no better than 6150 is the best of them all!!!! I know this much though, all our Arms and Armor swords have terrific liveliness, they hold an edge extremely well!

Hope this helps!

Bob
Might there be any sought characteristic differences due to this change or would this likely be more of a process decision?
Tod Glenn wrote:
Every alloy is a compromise depending on what aspects you want to emphasis - many are mutually exclusive. Hardness, toughness and other properties are more or less desirable depending on the application and the maker.

I don't know that you can argue that this is necessarily better than other sword steels - just different. Time will tell if this is a good choice, but I suspect that Albion has done their testing and 6150 bests suits their requirements.

(my emphasis)

Well said. Agree 100%.
J. Helm wrote:
Might there be any sought characteristic differences due to this change or would this likely be more of a process decision?

Most likely both. 6150 has a slightly better "machinability" index (in the annealed condition), which should result in less wear and faster operation of their CNC process.

Furthermore, once heat-treated correctly, 6150 should be more shock-resistant, with better wear resistance than 1075 treated to similar RC hardness.

1070/75 can attain a higher RC hardness rating, though this is not really an issue (in my opinion) with larger blades. I'd probably prefer 1075 over 6150 for a small slicing knife.
This thread has some good info:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...mp;start=0
I hope this helps,
Dan
Great thread which gives a lot of insight into Albion's decision. 6150 is, unlike 1070/1075, a deep hardening steel and is tougher than simple carbon at the same Rc. The requirements for a durable training sword (Maestro line) apparently drove the change. The reference to 2 salt baths seems to indicate marquencing, which will up the percentage of martensite without significantly effecting hardness.
It's a very tough but modern heat treat process steel. "Has no equal" for tool holders and other tough duty applications. http://www.integritysteel.com/aisi-6150-mediu...steel.html

As such it is sort of a modern materials solution to optimizing "what could have been" in a historical material if everything had been just right.
Re: What is better steel for swords - 1075 or 6150?
Valentino Paolilla wrote:
Albion is no longer using 1075 steel to make their sword's. They are now using 6150 steel. Mike told me that it is a great steel that they have perfected on, when it comes to heat treating. And also said that 6150 is a lil' better than 1075. I trust in Albions' word 100%; they are not known to let their customer's down. I would just like some feedback from you guy's...

Any word from Albion on when they made this switch? Inquiring minds would be most interested to know...
Re: What is better steel for swords - 1075 or 6150?
Eric Gregersen wrote:

Any word from Albion on when they made this switch? Inquiring minds would be most interested to know...

The thread linked above contains a discussion about their switch that dates from 2006.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: