Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Care and maintenance of an eating set? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jul, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Care and maintenance of an eating set?         Reply with quote

Hello and thanks for checking out my topic. Happy

Yesterday I bought a knife and pricker set from the Arms and Armour booth at the Bristol RenFaire, and I was wondering how you guys take care of your eating sets, what oil you think is best and how you clean them? For now I've washed my set off with a soapy sponge and given them a coat of olive oil.

Also the tip of my pricker turned blue after I washed a bit of steak off under the faucet, using the pricker to hold the steak, (hey it fell on the floor, I wasn't going to waste it!) and it's stayed a little bit blue. I know there's probably some simple explanation for this but if some one could explain it, that would be awesome. Happy

Any advice here would be most welcome, thank you in advance for your help. Happy

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women; thus your honor will grow. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honor in wars." -Johannes Liechtenauer

"...And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one..." Luke 22:36
Michael B.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jul, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If I need to do a deep cleaning, such as light rust or discoloration, I use whatever I'm using to clean my armour. After that, I wash normally with hot water and soap for eating. I immediately dry it off then often use rubbing alcohol to remove any other moisture. The oil I use for protecting it is either olive oil or normal vegetable oil.
www.facebook.com/bearmountainforge2
Michael Bergstrom
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah, thank you very much. Happy
"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women; thus your honor will grow. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honor in wars." -Johannes Liechtenauer

"...And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one..." Luke 22:36
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Care and maintenance of an eating set?         Reply with quote

Robert Hinds wrote:
Hello and thanks for checking out my topic. Happy

Yesterday I bought a knife and pricker set from the Arms and Armour booth at the Bristol RenFaire, and I was wondering how you guys take care of your eating sets, what oil you think is best and how you clean them? For now I've washed my set off with a soapy sponge and given them a coat of olive oil.

Also the tip of my pricker turned blue after I washed a bit of steak off under the faucet, using the pricker to hold the steak, (hey it fell on the floor, I wasn't going to waste it!) and it's stayed a little bit blue. I know there's probably some simple explanation for this but if some one could explain it, that would be awesome. Happy

Any advice here would be most welcome, thank you in advance for your help. Happy

Regarding the development of coloration on your set many folks like that. I have a nice eating knife that I allow to develop this as it is attractive and will not damage the steel.

The only way to get off color is fine steel wool as far as I know or jewelers rougue. I've done this as well but I like it when it gets some color- you can get blue, purple, brown, yello- can be nice- or just gray.

It's hard to know what was done hisorically though.
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok thanks for letting me know it's not something I did wrong. Happy

Do you happen to know what causes it? Does it have something to do with grease from the food or something?

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert Hinds wrote:
Ok thanks for letting me know it's not something I did wrong. Happy

Do you happen to know what causes it? Does it have something to do with grease from the food or something?

Mostly acids causing stains that can at times turn to rust if not at least cleaned off with soap and water and wiped dry + maybe a little olive oil.

If I want to keep them shiny I either have to use a metal polish or very fine synthetic steel wool to take off the staining.

An old knife with nice staining can look pretty nice but I got some rust when I forgot to wipe clean once and put the knife back into it's leather scabbard.

If you are going to use them for food preparation they are going to stain, it then become a choice to let the staining accumulate into some sort of patina of clean more aggressively after each use to keep the knife bright !

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Care and maintenance of an eating set?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic