Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Need help in identifying my Flint gun. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nigelle Davis

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jul, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Need help in identifying my Flint gun.         Reply with quote

Hello,

I am a new member and have done numerous research on a flint gun I own but can't get any further in my attempts to identify this beauty. If someone out there is willing to take a look and give me any info, I would greatly appreciate it. I have a 1700, flint gun I believe from Kentucky. On the top of the barrel is the number# 17211
inside the barrel it reads, 13, 9 , per 700 KGS. It has a picture of a knight holding a shield. I thank you for your time in looking to help me out.

[img]]http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u39/keta9/DSC_9327.jpg[/img]

Thanks
Nigelle Davis
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jul, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, in my opinion, it is not from the 1700's and may not have originally even been a flintlock.
In any case, it's a poor (re)conversion. The frizzen spring looks very modern, the cock has had the area around the screw filed down to fit over a shorter tumbler shaft and it is resting against the pan fence, the frizzen is missing (or was made without) a leg etc.
The lockplate shape makes me think mid 1800's.....maybe 40's or 50's....so if the gun is an original it was probably made as percussion. The lock bolts are in rather strange positions as well. The markings seem a little off....reference to Kilo's? Where in the barrel are the markings? Anyway, while I'm not saying it's certainly not an antique, at the best it seems to have been messed with quite a bit and at the worst is perhaps a poorly put together and antiqued modern replica.
While I'm certainly not an expert, those are the feelings I'm getting.
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can either confirm or refute my opinion.
I hope this helps,
Dan
Julian Reynolds

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jul, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There appears to be a makers mark stamped just in front of the serial number (some lettering contained within a diamond or <>). This looks to me to be a heavily antiqued modern (20thC) piece, made up from parts in the manner described above. There is nothing about this that says 'original', to me.

It also looks like it as been very crudely and heavily 'overcleaned' - I suspect buried then coarsely sanded to take off all the surface rust.

Julian
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jul, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is definitely not an antique gun. I would say it is a repro from the 60s, when the American Civil War Centennial brought about an interest in muzzle loading firearms of all types. The markings on the barrel suggest a European origin. The stock is far too clunky and in too good condition to be from the 18th c.
Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982

Last edited by Lin Robinson on Mon 04 Jul, 2011 4:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Nigelle Davis

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jul, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Julian Reynolds wrote:
There appears to be a makers mark stamped just in front of the serial number (some lettering contained within a diamond or <>). This looks to me to be a heavily antiqued modern (20thC) piece, made up from parts in the manner described above. There is nothing about this that says 'original', to me.

It also looks like it as been very crudely and heavily 'overcleaned' - I suspect buried then coarsely sanded to take off all the surface rust.

Julian

Thanks for your help!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Need help in identifying my Flint gun.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic