Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Requesting online info on 16th century english military Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jul, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Requesting online info on 16th century english military         Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm looking for any online resources that could give me information on the clothing, armour, weapons, equipment and organization of the English military, particularly of the trained bands, between 1570 and 1590. Also any info about battles and tactics from these years would be cool too.

Any help you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated, as my Google searches have only turned up ECW stuff.

Thanks in advance for your replys. Happy

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women; thus your honor will grow. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honor in wars." -Johannes Liechtenauer

"...And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one..." Luke 22:36
Stephen Curtin

Reading list: 18 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jul, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Robert I dont know if you've seen it but there is an article in features section of this site that deals with the 16th century English army.
Éirinn go Brách
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jul, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for pointing that out Stephen.

Judging from what I've found on the internet so far I'll probably have to go buy some books to read on this subject.

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women; thus your honor will grow. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honor in wars." -Johannes Liechtenauer

"...And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one..." Luke 22:36
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jul, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert, I would suggest contacting Chris Last here on the forum - he does military reenactment specifically aimed at 1574 England. If anyone I know in particular, he and his crew could help you out.

EDIT: I just noticed you were located in Whitewater. If you are game, you can see these folks do their thing at the Bristol renfaire in Kenosha that starts up in about a week. They do interactive demos throughout the day/run and are glad to talk at length about what they do.
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jul, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathon, I actually saw that group at Bristol last year, and have had some email conversations with another one of it's members that I got in contact with from this forum. Unfortunately when I saw them I was more interested in their rack of weapons for show than finding out more about trained bands.

I will try contacting Mr. Last, thanks for the advice.

David Evans

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jul, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You could try the little book I had published last year, "The Bluecoats" I'm not at home at the moment, but can drop you more details next week

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Requesting online info on 16th century english military
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic