Storage Solutions for Several Straight Swords
Try saying that fast. :p

I will admit it: I have a lot of swords. It's a problem, I know. I'm not ashamed....

But anyway. Finding storage/display solutions to this problem can be difficult. How can one store/display a sizeable collection in an efficient, simple, and affordable (emphasis on the affordable) manner? There are several things people do -- hooks, nails in walls, sword racks (do Roman swords go well in a multi-level Japanese sword rack? Actually, yes, they do), and other unique and hopefully non-destructive methods.

Now, some of you may already know about this, and do it yourselves. That's okay, you can sit this one out. But for everyone else, this idea may be an answer for you.

I hit upon the idea of an organizer for garden tools, like rakes, shovels, hoes, etc. I spyed upon the Sterilite 01878502 Garden Tool Rack Organizer. This, I thought, might work.
Here's a link to a picture and description: http://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-01878502-Gard...B0010K4DMU

Note, I did not get mine from Amazon nor am I endorsing them. But they're an option.

Anyway -- yes, it works. Quite well. I was able to store a large percentage of my collection and there is still room for more. And not only swords, but axes as well. Is it perfect? No, not at all. I don't think it would work well for swords with curved blades, like sabers, shamshirs, or katanas, and swords with complex hilts might prove probematic as well (then again, I haven't tried all the little holes and nooks and notches on this thing). Also, the blades are exposed and left hanging, which could be potential safety hazard if you have pets and little people running about (on the other hand, it encourages scabbardless storage, which I think is a good thing).

Anyway, I like it. My swords seem to like it -- it certainly beats a re-purposed trash can....

Here's what it looks like now, below....

Attachment: 98.07 KB
2010-03-17 16-46-48_0025 a1.jpg

Attachment: 91.41 KB
2010-03-17 16-47-32_0028 a1.jpg

I have been using the equivalent Rubbermaid long pole stand for some years now (painted black). There is a smaller triangular corner version. I also use an inexpensive cane stand for a ten hole spadroon rack (which currently is fitting a dozen or so, some doubled).

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

The Sterilite looks better out of the package as a bit more neutral in color. The Rubbermaid is green with white legs.
We had it quite loaded last year with polearms and swords for an event. For the longer items that reach to the bottom, a pad or plank will save surface and tips.

Another fellow had more or less duplicated the idea in wood but with sides to keep pets and small children out of the blades. I had looked at a lot of possibilities including store displays of magazine and shoe racks, organizers of all kinds and the garage stuff seemd to fit the bill the best for my purposes. There is a wheeled version of these as well.

Cheers

GC

Attachment: 94.27 KB
IMAG0216.jpg

Nice idea! Gotta look into these...

BTW, is that a Luristan bronze axe there on the shelf behind the rack?
Mikko Kuusirati wrote:
Nice idea! Gotta look into these...

BTW, is that a Luristan bronze axe there on the shelf behind the rack?

A (now discontinued) Windlass reproduction.
Glen A Cleeton wrote:

Another fellow had more or less duplicated the idea in wood but with sides to keep pets and small children out of the blades. I had looked at a lot of possibilities including store displays of magazine and shoe racks, organizers of all kinds and the garage stuff seemd to fit the bill the best for my purposes. There is a wheeled version of these as well.

Cheers

GC

I have (and am still using -- like I said, I got a lotta swords) a wood stand, single row, handmade by the late John Sharp, which has wood sides specifically for tip retention. Very well designed, and a pretty substantial piece of furniture.

The wheeled versions would be great for events.....

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: