Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Longswords with fishtail pommel Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Levente M.

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jun, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Longswords with fishtail pommel         Reply with quote

Hello myArmoury members,
I have been reading the forums for a while, gathered some knowledge, read some books and I feel the time has come for me to have a custom longsword made.
This will be my first sword, I'll cut things with it most of the time:D (bottles, sacks etc.). So I want a sharp sword.
I would like a more or less accurate replica of a longsword with a fishtail pommel. I've chosen the one in Oakeshott's Records of the medieval sword, XVIIIa.6. It's in the Schweizerisches Nationalmuseum, in Zürich.
Does anyone here have any information on this sword? In the book the only spec listed is the blade length, which is 101 cm long. There is no picture of the whole sword, so I don't know how long the grip is, how wide the blade is etc. Also, it would be really nice to know approximately how much it weighs. General data about this type would be awesome as well.
A picture of the whole sword would be really nice, but any info is appreciated.
Thanks!
The sword will be made by a local blacksmith in Hungary.

P.S.: Sorry for my English:D
Eric G.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jun, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In Records, Oakeshott puts this one down as an XVIIIa. However, since that publication he further developed his typology and I think that said sword actually falls into the XVIIIb category. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Have you taken a look at the Albion Regent? They used this same pommel for that sword, and the cross is similar in that it flares out at the end. The blade is a little shorter, but they reviews for the sword are great. I don't know how much your local blacksmith will charge for such a sword, but the Regent is well worth some attention. Plus, the blade is hollow ground, which I find very attractive. I

You also mentioned that you would be doing a lot of cutting with this sword. The XVIII class is a good one for cutting, but I think that the rigidity of their points (since they were also designed for thrusting) makes them less effective cutters than some other swords.

Also, your English is great =)

Eric Gregersen
www.EricGregersen.com
Knowledge applied is power.
Levente M.

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jun, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks!

I sort of like the Regent, but I prefer a simple flattened diamond cross section and I'm not sure about the guard:D
I'd like a 'unique' sword, 100% customized to my needs. Not big fan of these swords you can buy online.
By 'cutting things' I also mean thrusting things:D
I plan on doing WMA in the future and getting some 15th cent. armour, that's why I'd like an XVIII.
So the 19 cm grip of the Regent would be appropriate for this sword then?

Edit: I'd get a blunt sword for WMA obviously Big Grin I'd just like to have a sharp sword from the same era.
Michael B.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jun, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm having a fishtail sharp longsword made as well. Here's some pictures of examples I found.

The 3rd one down is the one I'm having made, or at least, my new sword is influenced by, I've been posting progress here: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...highlight=

Good luck. Looking forward to seeing your sword. Sorry I don't have details on the one you're looking for.

www.facebook.com/bearmountainforge2
Michael Bergstrom
Levente M.

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jun, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Michael, these pictures are great.
Mine will be very similar to yours, except it won't have a fuller, but it will have the same style of cross.
Do you have any specifications on the first two swords? If I knew the length of something, I could guess the sizes of other parts of the sword. I think a 19 cm long grip with a 101 cm blade should be fine.
What are your thoughts on this?

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Longswords with fishtail pommel
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic