Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Help with padding Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sander Alsters

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun, 2011 5:50 am    Post subject: Help with padding         Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a question. I'm currently manufacturing a kazaghand. And I have a question about the padding. The thing is, a Kazaghand consists of two layers of Mail armour and a padding on the outside of the two protecting the mail from heavy blows. of course there is a strong fabric between the two layers of Mail. And a brocade fabric for the inner and outer layer of the coat.

My question is this: What do you recommend for a padding so that it can be used for Re-anacting and to be worn in sparring tournaments. It can't be to thick, otherwise it will just hinder your movement and I think it shouldn't have to be because the mail armour is already a lot of protection. I think maybe a Gambeson is already to thick as padding. What I need is a padding that doesnt make you look like a swollen giant and still is enough to protect you from blows. I never worn Mail so I don't know how much it reflect blows. Does anyone have some information I could use? Maybe some tips and tricks for making the padding? OR if there is a cheap padded fabric that I could buy? The material doesn't have to be historically correct because it's the inner layer of the coat.

Kind regards!
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Most kazaghands only had one layer of mail. The double-layered kazaghand that Usamah described in his memoirs was an exceptionally heavy example and unlikely to have been very common. Usamah's description of the padding of his kazaghand included "proper linings, felt pads, silk stuffing (al-lasin) and rabbits' hair".
Sander Alsters

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Help with padding         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
Most kazaghands only had one layer of mail. The double-layered kazaghand that Usamah described in his memoirs was an exceptionally heavy example and unlikely to have been very common. Usamah's description of the padding of his kazaghand included "proper linings, felt pads, silk stuffing (al-lasin) and rabbits' hair".

Hi Dan,

indeed, I read the piece of the memoirs where the Kazaghand is discriped. Also I am aware of the fact that it might be not as common with two mail layers. I will see how it goes, maybe I don't want the second layer after all.

The thing is, I need to know what is an acceptable padding, how many layers and what kind of fabrics I could use best. What I have is thick curtain cloth and a bed sheet filled with cotton. I was thinking of using that one as padding only I'm afraid that it will hold all my body heat and that I start cooking in there. My Gambeson keeps the heat from the sun out and seals my body so the temperature is (at a certain point) relatively the same. Maybe if the filling is 100% cotton it might work. But than the question, how thick should the padding be.

Kind regards

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Help with padding
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic