Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Ho ho guy's!!
What did you guys say??

14th century??

I suggest we start somewhere BC!! ;) (G)
Re: The Moat is Back
Folkert van Wijk wrote:
Folkert van Wijk wrote:
Howard Waddell wrote:
With lots of odds and ends left over from production, failed experiments and overstock -- great for do-it-yourselfers that want to turn these things into special items for themselves.

http://albion-swords.com/moat.htm

We'll be adding items daily for a while...

Best,

Howy

Hi Howerd.
One question about what I found on your albion moat page:
Those " (Celtic Spear) Experiments Gone Horribly Awry"...
Is there going to be an (iron) follow up of this experiment that ectualy will turn out ??
Begause they look good to me and I sure would like to purcase some iron ones...

Thanks

I am Sorry Howerd, but would you please answer my question (as quoted above) also?

Hey Folkert !
As usual, Peter answered perfectly. At this point, all of the weight is on him and then on us to figure out how to make them(for a price that people would pay.). We'll be talking more about this when he visits starting next week.

Best,

Howy
:surprised: and now!

EXCALIBUR ? :D

Attachment: 9.42 KB
moatfindknife.JPG

Excalibur
Patrik Erik Lars Lindblom wrote:
:surprised: and now!

EXCALIBUR ? :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: Just what I needed after a long day. Thanks, Patrik.
Spears! yes!
As long as we are on the subject I would like to say I would LOVE to see more spears in the marketplace. Peter and Howey you have my vote for a couple of LaTene spears and perhaps something Anglo-Saxon as well.
I gotta thank Mike for picking up the phone and the laughs along with the Albion Crew for the Moat Sale which was very good to me!
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
and the 6th handle :lol: nice tight fight...
[ Linked Image ]
Well, we shall see what we shall see.

I just ordered the small axe and two spears with "sockets" that looked more-or-less suitable for grinding into tangs, and I'm anxious to see how they do. (patience is a virtue David, patience is a vritue...)
I've been curious about the performance of Bronze weapons for a long time now: how they cut, what kind of use they're suited to, and the general "feel" of the weapon. Looks like I'm about to find out! :cool:

...NOW I have to come up with a way of hafting the blessed little things. :\ I'll be the first to admit that socketed polarms aren't the strongest design in the world, but it sure does make the assembly process easy. Anybody familiar with tanged spears?
Howard;

Could the "Sockets" be drilled out using progressively wider diameter drill bits, each drill bit cutting a little less deep creating a roughtly conical hole?The hole could be then hand finished leaving a usable socket, with maybe a somewhat heavy wall thickness.

This might mean a LOT of patience and hand work? Or maybe a conical cutting tool using a lathe?

The result would once mounted look and work better than a tang.

Personnally I would not have access to the right tools, but a machine shop should be able to do something. (Cost might be excessive unless you had a friend as the owner of the machine shop doing it for fun or as a favor.)

I assume you could have this job done yourselves but the cost/sales price might not be favorable.

Finally, some of these bronze spears might still be a good prodct to offer as long as the place where you get the castings done actually LISTEN to instructions! They might also be appealing in steel. ( Even if that would be less historically correct!)
more polearm requests
I personally would like that swedish staffsword that I believe peter johnson made on commission a whiloe back go into production.

and more axes and maces and maybe a bill or two.
David R. Glier wrote:
Quote:
Anybody familiar with tanged spears?

I don't want to hijack this thread, but if you are still looking for some thoughts on tanged spears you could start a new thread or (alternatively you could post here: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=2298)

I recently put together a bronze-age tanged spear and, while there is necessarily a hefty amount of guesswork involved, I'm quite happy with the result. Either way, between us and others on the forum, we may get some better ideas on the best presentation of a spear.

David
Many helms there in Moat cave, with the old owner inside :D
Albion Moat sale
Just had a look at their moat sale and they have some nice helmets at fire sale prices: Nice Nasal helms for $70 bucks.

Already have sent Mike an E-Mail about one Nasal helm and an early Flat top helm, so I get first crack at these two, hey Mike ;)

Thought I'd give everyone a heads-up on these.
I'm glad to see there is another Late Rusty Ridge Helm for sale - not the same as the Roman one but still late, ridged, and rusty.
Roger Hooper wrote:
I'm glad to see there is another Late Rusty Ridge Helm for sale - not the same as the Roman one but still late, ridged, and rusty.

Yep, I emailed Mike about that one (and the dark ages helm too) they (hopefully) will make good additions to my educational presentations and to our budding museum :D
Ordered one of the rusty 5th Century Spangens. Just asked for the least rusty of the bunch. We'll see how it looks when it getts here (should be some time this week). Cant wait.

[ Linked Image ]
Wow - ordered one of the Rusty Ridge Helms and the 5th Century Spangen on Monday - arrived my house on Tuesday. Mike is definitely a Wizard!

The Ridge Helm is VERY small (my 3 year old was running around with it on her head and it wasn't too much too big) which will work well in my school shows as I put kids into armour.

The Spangen was VERY NICE - even with the rust (which I will leave on).

Both are great additions to our educational presentations and our budding museum.
Lloyd Clark wrote:
Wow - ordered one of the Rusty Ridge Helms and the 5th Century Spangen on Monday - arrived my house on Tuesday. Mike is definitely a Wizard!

Just goes to show that there is a real advantage to living in Wisconsin...even with all of those cheese-heads (I'm a Steelers fan).
Steve Grisetti wrote:
Just goes to show that there is a real advantage to living in Wisconsin...even with all of those cheese-heads (I'm a Steelers fan).

No kidding. I ordered mine on Friday and I'm still waiting ( it's now 1:15 am Thursday).
FYI - a few additional pieces showed up on the Moat...

Got a couple of pieces I'd been toying around with the idea of acquiring someday.
Instant Helm Collection
Instant helm collection of items rescued from the Moat! :cool: Order placed on Monday. Four of five pieces arrived today (Thursday). Today's fourth piece, not shown below, is a conical arming cap. Fifth item (Early Flat Top) wouldn't fit in the same box with the rest, so I assume it will arrive in short order. Some rehab work is appropriate, but less than I expected for Moat items with fire sale pricing :D
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Page 2 of 3

Jump to: