Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion's "The Sherwood Sword" Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Albion's "The Sherwood Sword"         Reply with quote

I was prompted on Albion's Facebook page that they have posted this on their Limited Edition line & Filmswords line as being available for order.

So I thought I would post about it on the myArmoury forum and see what everyone's thoughts & impressions were.

The price point is reasonable, considering their other offerings.

The Sherwood
Overall length: 37.125 Inches (94 cm)
Blade length: 29.75 Inches (75.5 cm)
Blade width (at base): 1.5 Inches (3.8 cm)
Weight: 2.25 Pounds (1 kilo)

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/sle/sword-sherwood.htm

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't know. I'm not crazy about this one. It's sure to be excellently made and likely handles very well though.
Mackenzie Cosens

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Really does not interest me at all.
Sorry, but my initial impression is that it heading in the direction of SLO.

To be fair it is a fantasy piece, "A romantic image from my childhood" and I am more interested in historically inspired pieces then romantically inspired ones.
Mackenzie
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting idea and it does look incredibly like a movie piece from the 50's (or earlier) but I'm not sure that was something on the shopping list to begin with. Confused
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Last edited by Joe Fults on Wed 08 Jun, 2011 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This piece is not one that I care for. It appears to be a replica of Errol Flynn's sword, as seen here:

I can respect this as a nostalgia piece, but as far as swords go, it really does not do much for me.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As an homage piece to Errol Flynn's sword, I think it nails it.

Thanks for the photo reference, Craig. I wouldn't have recognized it.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Eric G.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
I can respect this as a nostalgia piece, but as far as swords go, it really does not do much for me.

Ditto. If I am going to go for a fantasy piece it will be one with which I have some kind of personal affection.

Eric Gregersen
www.EricGregersen.com
Knowledge applied is power.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric Gregersen wrote:
Ditto. If I am going to go for a fantasy piece it will be one with which I have some kind of personal affection.

I think you sort of just nailed the reason behind such a sword's release.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Eric G.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Eric Gregersen wrote:

I think you sort of just nailed the reason behind such a sword's release.

heh ... yeah... but I mean, with a movie so old I would think that this would be a good sword for a single reproduction for a personal collection - not a mass reproduction to try and sell to the community. The maker has a personal nostalgia for this piece that appeared long ago, but I doubt that the feelings are shared at large... that's all...

Eric Gregersen
www.EricGregersen.com
Knowledge applied is power.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's certainly superior to the latest Russell Crowe Robin Hood sword -- the one with the blue buttons on the grip.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jun, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:

Ironically Nathan, I did not recognize it either, as I have not seen the Errol Flynn Robin Hood movie (save for snippets I caught on TV once years ago). When I was initially going to make my first post in this thread, I was going to say that it seemed strange to make a Robin Hood sword which is so clearly ahistorical, but then I started thinking- why would Albion make such a piece? And it occured to me that it must be based upon a film, so I started looking at photos from the Douglas Fairbanks movie, and then Errol Flynn's film next.
Mackenzie Cosens

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jun, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the Errol Flynn connection, Craig.
The weird thing for me is, that bit of information improves my attitude towards the piece, softening its edges a bit and giving it a place and time.

It is interesting to remember that impressions are subject to context. It also makes me wonder if my historic preference is nothing more or less then another form of romanticism.

mackenzie
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jun, 2011 5:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:

Ironically Nathan, I did not recognize it either, as I have not seen the Errol Flynn Robin Hood movie (save for snippets I caught on TV once years ago). When I was initially going to make my first post in this thread, I was going to say that it seemed strange to make a Robin Hood sword which is so clearly ahistorical, but then I started thinking- why would Albion make such a piece? And it occured to me that it must be based upon a film, so I started looking at photos from the Douglas Fairbanks movie, and then Errol Flynn's film next.

My only experience with the Errol Flynn Robin Hood movie is the snippet from that Bugs Bunny cartoon.

"Duh, don't you worry, never fear. Robin Hood will soon be here!"

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Marko Susimetsa

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jun, 2011 5:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wondered if it might be a replica of some Robin Hood movie sword, but decided against it since I thought such a connection would surely have been mentioned on the product page.

I'm surprised that they neglect to mention it there - is everyone supposed to recognize this piece at first glance? Confused

But, still, this does nothing for me. More historical pieces draw my attention.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jun, 2011 5:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:

Well the film is a Classic and tells the tale the best or near the best of all the Robin Hood Movies and for those who don't know or have never seen an Errol Flynn movie they are very much worth watching.

In the context of the film I do like this sword as it's at least as credible as a real sword than the well designed Lord of the Ring films sword. ( Well in external form well designed, most of the low end LoR swords are just wall hangers ).

Handling, materials, heat treat are ALBION after all, so this is a high end Movie Fantasy sword, and maybe not to everyone's tastes but works for me as an homage to Errol Flynn and his version of Robin Hood.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Justin H. Núñez

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jun, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I recognized it as Errol's sword immediately when the pics showed up several months ago on their Facebook site. That is the sword that sword started it all for me way back when. I knew it was not accurate, and the movie crew knew it was not accurate, but it was close enough for a terrific film. It is the "ideal-ic" sword to use when you just want to fight medieval with 20th century sabre techniques, which I have to admit is fun. I always wished it had just a little bit longer blade though.
It needs the scabbard and studded belt to though. Where's the green tights? Big Grin

"Nothing in fencing is really difficult, it just takes work." - Aldo Nadi
Terry Crain

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jun, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Robin Hood Sword         Reply with quote

I appreciate the effort and craftsmanship that went into it, but I personally have zero interest in this sword. I never cared for the look of it in the film (which has always been a favorite), due to its inaccurate ahistorical nature; plus I just don't find it very attractive in general. I don't have any interest in a copy of an inacuurate prop sword, however well made. Sorry, just my opinion.

If others want to pay $900.00 for this bit of nostalgia, I respect their opinion. Its just a matter of taste afterall, to each his own. There are those who buy swords from the Narnia, LOTR, Zorro and Conan movies to be sure. Given that this movie, while a classic, was made in the late thirties, I question how much demand there will be in the current sword purchasing/ collecting community. I guess time will tell.

Terry

Terry Crain
A/K/A
Donal Grant

Honor, not Honors!
Michael Ahrens

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jun, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Love the movie, the sword not so much. I am still waiting for this.....

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...highlight=

Mike Ahrens
http://www.selohaar.org/

Staten Island German Martial Arts (S.I.G.M.A.)
http://www.sigmanewyork.webs.com/

Member of the 1st Universal Church of St. John Cantius Garand, Reformed (Gas Port)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion's "The Sherwood Sword"
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic