Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Who makes poleaxes? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Dustin Faulkner

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jun, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Who makes poleaxes?         Reply with quote

Hello:

I would like to have a "real" poleaxe like A&A's and I am aware of the fact there are several producers of reproduction poleaxes. Eventhough I too have the GDFB poleaxe head, I'd like something of higher quality. However, my problem is I cannot afford A&A's beautiful poleaxe. Even if I could, I'd be afraid to take it outside (that's meant as a compliment to Mr. Johnson and his crew). I am refering to the one with the "waffle iron" head like GDFB tries to replicate.

I have found another manufacturer of that style of poleaxe in the Czech Republic, it is plainer (I like that) and less expensive, but they said they do not ship items to the USA. So ... is there anyone else who makes a poleaxe that is of higher quality than GDFB's, but not as expensive as A&A's? I do not have an encyclopedic knowledge of polearm manufacturers, and I suspect an incomplete list is mentioned at the end of this site's poleaxe article.

I also have the Windlass Steelcraft poleaxe. I am thinking of something in between that and A&A's with regards to quality and price. I guess it's too bad Hanwei doesn't make one. I see all you fellow European myArmoury.com members with your poleaxes and wonder from whom did you get your polearms? I've simply noticed other poleaxes with the same configuration as the A&A poleaxe, but they are plainer and less expensive.

Is the GDFB poleaxe head strong enough to be used after it is hafted? I still need to haft mine, and I am encouraged by the work of others on this website. However, does anyone know if Craig Johnson of A&A might let me buy his poleaxe head without the haft? I'd like that option too.

Anyway ... I've been struggling with this deep, earth shaking, nerve racking issue for a while and it finally occured to me to ask you experts out there who know more about the industry than I do. So ... thank you! Bitte und gute jag!

Sincerely,
Dustin Faulkner
Knight wannabe

DUSTIN FAULKNER
Simon G.

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jun, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Armory Marek from Czech Republic has several (see w43 to w46) and I know some US members of this forum have bought items from him : http://www.armorymarek.com/halberds--war-hammers--spears
(these should cost around 350$ without postage, you'd have to ask him if he ships them with or without pole, if with, I'd ask for a pole-less version, this would save on shipping... Marek is a great guy, very accomodating)

Lutel has one for ca. 520$ : http://www.lutel-handicraft.com/?p=productsMo...-axe-20022
Dustin Faulkner

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jun, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Correct German         Reply with quote

Hallo:

I meant to write "Danke und gut jag!"

DUSTIN FAULKNER
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jun, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lutel also makes some nice pole arms!
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jun, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Who makes poleaxes?         Reply with quote

Dustin Faulkner wrote:
... Is the GDFB poleaxe head strong enough to be used after it is hafted? I still need to haft mine, and I am encouraged by the work of others on this website...

My personal experience leads me to say "yes" and "NO!"

Yes, use it for school group show & tell, parade, display and chopping pumpkins (with everyone else a fair distance back). Happy

Do NOT use it for sparing with others or poleaxe drills such as following along with Christian Henry Tobler while watching German Medieval Martial Arts, Volume 1 - The Poleaxe (if you value your flat screen at all). Wink

While it's a neat conversation piece for non-SCA/WMA friends, it's nowhere near the quality needed for "use".

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Who makes poleaxes?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic