Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Introducing... The REAL Top Secret Project: The Cluny Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Benjamin H. Abbott

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 28 Apr, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Like everyone else, I'm impressed by the low weight. This sword must handle beautifully.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

Feedback score: 100%
(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm going to have to figure out what I need to do to get me one of these. I'll have to sell things, of course, but the question as always is: what will I sell? The more I look this one over, the more I like it.

Despite seeing a couple dozen photos of the antique, I hadn't noticed before that the guard is asymmetrically detailed inside-to-out in that one side is flat and the other is not. If I were to have guessed simply on memory recall from the antique's photos, I'd have wagered that the inner-edge of each recurved quillon was the one with the detail. That's not true, though, as it's the inner-edge on one and the outer-edge on the other. Neat.

I bet it displayed proudly in the scabbard on the hip in its day.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Allen Foster

PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Crap...this is one I was actually hoping would not become a excellent reproduction sword! Its great that its being made but I liked it being something that was nearly unattainable. Talk about conflicted now since this reproduction looks great! At least the price of admission is suitable. WTF?!

If that ridged gilded delight from the Cluny shows up next I'll probably not know what to do!

Definitely picked the right line for this one too...and in that line...really a nice price overall.

The price is surprisingly reasonable. It's the temptation and ultimately irresistible force that compels one to have a scabbard made for it worthy as its mate that sends the cost beyond the stars. To have a sword like that without scabbard and suspension would be maddening. Ooooh..........I don't know what to do! I'm thinking.......... Confused Sad Worried

"Rise up, O Lord, and may thy enemies be dispersed and those who hate thee be driven from thy face."
Mark T

Spotlight topics: 2

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter: thanks for those photos of the waxes next to the original!

There's something in that juxtaposition and proximity that really pulled me up short, almost to the point of making me shudder (in a good way! Happy ). Those photos have possibly done more than the images of the sword itself to convince me on this one ... there's something about knowing the accuracy, the provenance, the direct linking to history that is quite arresting.

Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!
Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

WOW Howey, This is maybe the best looking sword I've seen in a long while, and its nice to see another addition to the museum collection. Also it was a cool surprise as no one knew anything about it, and even more so for me, as I never knew about the original. I'm liking the way the guys at Albion have been surprising us like this lately, this way at least some of us dont get impatient of waiting, or unhappy with the final results if they didn't come out as expected, plus who doesn't like a suprise. I wonder, as this sword is very similar to the one on which the next gen Munich is based, will Albion still go ahead and make a museum line version? Or perhaps this is another secret.
Éirinn go Brách
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm at least as excited to see the waxes!
As for fitting a scabbard properly. If I were doing it I'd just un-stitch the seam(s) of the chappe and re-stitch them later. It can be a bit fiddly, especially if you want a fine or hidden stitch, but it's not technically difficult. I'm convinced that a very close fit between chappe and scabbard mouth is essential and historically appropriate. There's enough friction between them to hold the sword in the scabbard but after that slight initial resistance the sword is free.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Mark T

PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
I'm convinced that a very close fit between chappe and scabbard mouth is essential and historically appropriate. There's enough friction between them to hold the sword in the scabbard but after that slight initial resistance the sword is free.

Hi Sean,

So am I. The fit on the chappe and scabbard mouth that Russ made for me is fantastic (and that being his first one) ... and the feel and handling are reminiscent of friction-fits and 'breakaway' rigs in modern tactical gear of the 20th & 21st Cs, which is interesting, although not that surprising, I guess. (Although I was initially surprised because I had thought that such performance would be reliant on materials that allowed close fits and fine tolerances ... not leather and wood!)

However, it seems like the chappe on Albion's Cluny - and on the other extant examples we have - are fairly slim, and almost blade-hugging. Same for the ones shown in period artwork, at least in the cases of 'close ups' where this would be fair to judge. So, this has me wondering: were scabbard mouths just a lot thinner then than now? Did some of the friction fits actually have the chappe inside the scabbard mouth? Or, were some of these swords just used without a scabbard?

Not meaning to derail the thread at all, as these seem like very pertinent questions to potential purchasers of this sword. I for one, can't wait to see what we all come up with for it.

Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr, 2011 6:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark T wrote:
Sean Flynt wrote:
I'm convinced that a very close fit between chappe and scabbard mouth is essential and historically appropriate. There's enough friction between them to hold the sword in the scabbard but after that slight initial resistance the sword is free.

Hi Sean,

So am I. The fit on the chappe and scabbard mouth that Russ made for me is fantastic (and that being his first one) ... and the feel and handling are reminiscent of friction-fits and 'breakaway' rigs in modern tactical gear of the 20th & 21st Cs, which is interesting, although not that surprising, I guess. (Although I was initially surprised because I had thought that such performance would be reliant on materials that allowed close fits and fine tolerances ... not leather and wood!)

However, it seems like the chappe on Albion's Cluny - and on the other extant examples we have - are fairly slim, and almost blade-hugging. Same for the ones shown in period artwork, at least in the cases of 'close ups' where this would be fair to judge. So, this has me wondering: were scabbard mouths just a lot thinner then than now? Did some of the friction fits actually have the chappe inside the scabbard mouth? Or, were some of these swords just used without a scabbard?

Not meaning to derail the thread at all, as these seem like very pertinent questions to potential purchasers of this sword. I for one, can't wait to see what we all come up with for it.

I base my scabbards on the same observation of surviving originals and artwork. Those show a close-fitting chappe. I interpret that as meaning that the mouth of the scabbard is very thin-walled. Not only that, I suspect that this thin section is a slight step down from the main body of the scabbard. That's how I make mine, anyway. It's hard to see this when there's a riser at the step. This gives you a chappe profile flush with the scabbard, as shown below. I think that flush profile in artwork is sometimes misinterpreted as showing the older-style of scabbard with extensions at the mouth. I'm just guessing, but I've tried to consider all the available evidence.

Attachment: 104.03 KB
erbachbare_515.gif

Attachment: 35.52 KB
erbachscabbard_167.gif

-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howard and Peter,

This is one of the most beautiful swords you've recreated thus far. The detail work on the hilt and the leather components is impressively done. I love the darkened furniture and the color of the leather, the combination gives the piece a nice texture. Like Nathan I want one. Big Grin

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow! This sword looks great! I would love to have one someday...

Great job guys!

Also, the photography for this model is the best I've seen on your site so far. Definitely a huge improvement there.

Do you think you will be incorporating chappes as an option in the NG line someday? They really do dress up a sword quite a bit.

www.addisondelisle.com
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Sun 01 May, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Do you people never stop to think that I might have other things to spend my discretionary funds on? How inconsiderate. Wink

Seriously, that is simply fantastic. Fantastic enough that I'm with Nathan; I shall have to liquidate some of my Next Gens and maybe a stray katana to fund one of these.

Bravo, as always.

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Mon 02 May, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A helpful image for those considering a scabbard for this sword:

Attachment: 63.74 KB
chappes.jpg

-Sean

Craig Shackleton

PostPosted: Mon 02 May, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've never before seriously considered spending over $1000 on a single sword. Now, I'm trying to figure out how to pull together more than $2000. And then there's the scabbard.

This is a lovely sword, it is pretty much everything I could want in a longsword.

Ottawa Swordplay
Randy W

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Mon 02 May, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

$1000 has been my ceiling too, I'll be exceeding that for this one
Randy Westgate
Zach Luna

PostPosted: Sun 08 May, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I saw this sword in Paris yesterday at the Cluny exhibition. It's absolutely gorgeous! Having the original in the other room made the reproduction even more impressive--it really is an extraordinary example of workmanship and attention to detail.

It looked even TOO light for my tastes, very slender, sleek and fast. Would love to have handled it, but I thought it improper to ask since I didn't intend to buy. They did take the box out of the display case to give me a closer look, which was nice. Very impressive piece.
Chris Artman

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 24 May, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I look forward to receiving this magnificant sword in the future and put a deposit down accordingly at the time of my prior post.

While I love all of these new projects and I want to see even more museum grade projects (still hoping for a museum grade Bayerisches as well), I am hoping to hear more information about outstanding projects that I have not received but have deposits on:

The Markgraf

The Maximillian

The Principe

I think there is another as well...

Would really appreciate an update on the status of these swords which have deposits. I'm sure a few of us here would like an update on those.
Mark T

PostPosted: Tue 13 Sep, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sooo, four months on: has anyone purchased one of these? Reflections? Testing results? Scabbard designs?

Would someone like to start a new thread and post a link here?

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 13 Sep, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I still want one very badly, but have not ordered one. I would need to sell off quite a lot of things to get the cash together to even think about such a thing. I haven't seen one first-hand so my opinion is based only on photos alone, but this sword looks completely on-target and something that Albion and Peter Johnsson have nailed.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Wed 14 Sep, 2011 2:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm in Nathans boat. I love this swords aethetics, especially the hilt. I want one in the worst way but just can't justify the price with so many other things taking priority. Still, I think it's one of Albions best efforts to date.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 14 Sep, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm still selling guns and other odds and ends off to buy yet another bike...and waiting for a few Czech commissions to arrive now that they are paid for. So no money for this honey in my toy fund. If I was to decide I wanted one it would probably take a year of gathering funds now that so much play money is allocated.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Introducing... The REAL Top Secret Project: The Cluny Sword
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: