Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Sempach arrives. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 27 Sep, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Albion Sempach arrives.         Reply with quote

After a rather unpleasant week-end off the BBT brought me a nice suprise this evening.

(My wife is the speech and drama teacher at the local high school. She was taking her team to a debate tournament in Wichita, and her second driver backed out at the last minute so yours truly got drafted. I had plans for my weekend off and going on a road trip with a bunch of teenagers, complete with a flat tire no less, wasn't on the list.)

I had chosen the Sempach as my seventh sword in Albion's Sword Collectors Club offer. Actually, I had initially chosen the Berserkr, but I decided that the Sempach would fill a specific nitch in my collection that the Berserkr would not. That one is still on the list though.

This sword came in Albion's new shipping box. The box is a significant improvement over the old one, which I really didn't think was inadequate. The ends of the box are quite a bit heavier and reinforced, and the box overall seems to be stronger. If the shipping gorillas smash this one enough to cause significant damage it will be largely moot, since any other packing would suffer the same fate. If a customer feels that the new packaging is still inadequate I would suggest paying the extra fee and have the sword sent in one of Albion's wooden boxes. Last year I had Albion ship my PJ back home in this fashion. Other than this special case I've never received a sword that was packaged better than this Sempach.

Upon opening Albion's new trademark box I was greeted with what appears to be another new Albion trademark, rust. The Sempach arrived with a light spotting of rust over the furniture as well as the blade. Nothing that a few minutes with oil and grey scotchbrite couldn't cure, but this is an issue that's becoming all too common with the stuff shipped out of New Glarus. This is an issue that really needs to be addressed. I know the folks at Albion are concerned with the way the sword is presented in the packaging, but I'd rather clean oil instead of rust off of my new sword.

That was the only negative aspect of the experience as the sword is quite nice. This is the fifth Next Generation sword that I've purchased. With two of the others I've spent a little time working on the furniture with some abrasive paper and grey scotchbrite. This really isn't a criticism of Albion as the blemishes weren't serious, and no one else would have probably cared. Instead it's just a reflection of my psyche, that combines a bit of anal retentiveness with a large dose of compulsive tinkering. I'm afraid that I'll have to just grin and bear it in this case, since the Sempach's furniture is some of the cleanest that I've seen thus far on a Next Gen. The grip is also the nicest that I've received. On the others the seam on the grip covering was visible to one degree or another, if you chose to look for it. The Sempach's grip is nicely done and as hard as I look I can't find the seam. Very nice. I chose black for this grip as I have with all of the others. My goal is to build a collection that illustrates the development and evolution of the medieval knightly sword. As such I don't want various grip colors and furniture materials causing a distraction. I want the focus to be on the design elements alone. Hence the seemingly boring choice of color.

I chose the Sempach over the Landgraf because of it's hilt design. I prefer the clean sweep and sleek lines, that the wedge-shaped pommel and down-turned guard provide. There's actually quite a bit more detail to these components than the photos convey. The sword is quick in the cut and very agile in the thrust. It also follows the point very well in thrusting maneuvers. It would serve quite well in half-swording techniques, where the weapon is used more as an overgrown ice pick. While this sword should be an efficient cutter against softer targets it's obviously a thrusting oriented design. I have to confess that I've never cared for these fourteenth century thrusting designs. I've always preferred blades with a broader cutting oriented surface. While the Sempcah doesn't change my feelings on this issue it does fill that important place in my collection quite well. It is an excellent example of the type.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Chris Holzman

PostPosted: Mon 27 Sep, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gah! I wish I'd have known you were in town - maybe we could have grabbed lunch or something - and you could have seen the ArmArt... anyway, if you happen to end up in Doo-Dah again on a weekend, shoot me a pm or email or something...

Chris

Chris Holzman
River City Fencing Club
Wichita, KS
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 27 Sep, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Holzman wrote:
Gah! I wish I'd have known you were in town - maybe we could have grabbed lunch or something - and you could have seen the ArmArt... anyway, if you happen to end up in Doo-Dah again on a weekend, shoot me a pm or email or something...

Chris

That's a great idea! I'm kicking myself right now for not thinking of it. To be honest, I found out at the last minute and I had to cancel my week-end plans. Consequently I was pretty pissed off for most of the week-end. I'll definetly remember the next time though (and I have no doubt there will be a next time). My youngest son and I got our revenge by spending large amounts of money at the Bookstore and Video Game shops. Big Grin

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 28 Sep, 2004 5:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations Patrick. Good to see that you are well on your way towards your goal of getting all seven swords. Happy I got to handle a Landgraff recently and I must say that it is a heck of a sword as well. I like your collecting goal. I have a similar long term goal in that I simply want a sword of every Oakeshott type. Happy Fortunately that coincides with my other goal of owning all of A&A's stuff as they have many of the types. I'll have to fill out the rest with Albion products I suspect. Happy
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 28 Sep, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Congratulations Patrick. Good to see that you are well on your way towards your goal of getting all seven swords. Happy I got to handle a Landgraff recently and I must say that it is a heck of a sword as well. I like your collecting goal. I have a similar long term goal in that I simply want a sword of every Oakeshott type. Happy Fortunately that coincides with my other goal of owning all of A&A's stuff as they have many of the types. I'll have to fill out the rest with Albion products I suspect. Happy

Actually this was *the* seventh sword, so it was the freebee (almost).

I suppose our goals are pretty much the same Russ. Any collection that outlines the medieval sword would pretty much cover the Oakeshott typology. A&A's Ballock dagger set is the one I'm currently drooling over. Once again I'm looking in the gunsafe for things to sell Worried

Brian M

PostPosted: Tue 28 Sep, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Guns beat knives, Patrick! But I know the feeling.
Glad you like the Sempach. I thought seriously about the Landgraf, but it is a bit outside my tastes and there are just too many swords I want and not enough money. Sad However, I am going to make the seven-sword club. Big Grin
I'm going to take advantage of Albion's current sale and order the Sovereign. That makes 4, #5 will be the Wheel Type-X, #6 (most likely) the Berserker, and the freebie The Sword of St. Maurice Turin. Well, credit towards it anyway.

Regards,
Brian M
Gary Venable

Reading list: 16 books

PostPosted: Tue 28 Sep, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Chris Holzman wrote:

Chris

That's a great idea! I'm kicking myself right now for not thinking of it. To be honest, I found out at the last minute and I had to cancel my week-end plans. Consequently I was pretty pissed off for most of the week-end. I'll definetly remember the next time though (and I have no doubt there will be a next time). My youngest son and I got our revenge by spending large amounts of money at the Bookstore and Video Game shops. Big Grin

Hey if you guys do that drop me a line. I would make the trip down to meet some fellow forumites and talk about cool sharp things.

Gary
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 28 Sep, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Russ Ellis wrote:

Actually this was *the* seventh sword, so it was the freebee (almost).

I suppose our goals are pretty much the same Russ. Any collection that outlines the medieval sword would pretty much cover the Oakeshott typology. A&A's Ballock dagger set is the one I'm currently drooling over. Once again I'm looking in the gunsafe for things to sell Worried

Come to think of it I suppose you are right. I know you have an affinity for Viking era (and Migration era as well?) pieces so I was somewhat surprised to see you jump on this Albion thing with both feet. However, after seeing the products I am not nearly as surprised. Right now I've got a bit of a sale on, to you guessed, it get that Albion product I put the down payment on so long ago... I've also got to get some scabbards done. Happy I caught myself thinking the other night... you know that rondel dagger from A&A sure looks nice! Bad Russ bad Russ! Right now my obligations are to Albion. Happy

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 28 Sep, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ...you're not the only one that Rondel is calling to.

But right now I've got obligations to you! Eek!

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 28 Sep, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"I know you have an affinity for Viking era (and Migration era as well?) pieces so I was somewhat surprised to see you jump on this Albion thing with both feet."

Not really suprising Russ. My interests run the gambit of period and culture. In short, I've never seen a sword that I didn't like. However, due to a limited budget I have to force myself to concentrate on my main periods of interest, the viking and early middle ages. Albion is also offering features on these Next Gens. that haven't commonly, or accurately, been found in the production world until now. For example, I never really had an interest in hollow ground blades until I handled a PJ and an Albion that featured accurately ground blades. Now I find the type very interesting. I get excited about quality whether custom or production.

Gabriel Stevens

PostPosted: Tue 28 Sep, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've had my eye on the berserkr as well Patrick, I've been dying to see the finished piece in steel.....
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 28 Sep, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
"I know you have an affinity for Viking era (and Migration era as well?) pieces so I was somewhat surprised to see you jump on this Albion thing with both feet."

Not really suprising Russ. My interests run the gambit of period and culture. In short, I've never seen a sword that I didn't like. However, due to a limited budget I have to force myself to concentrate on my main periods of interest, the viking and early middle ages. Albion is also offering features on these Next Gens. that haven't commonly, or accurately, been found in the production world until now. For example, I never really had an interest in hollow ground blades until I handled a PJ and an Albion that featured accurately ground blades. Now I find the type very interesting. I get excited about quality whether custom or production.

Sigh... you've got it just as bad as me don't you? Happy How long have you been doing this anyway Patrick?

Chris Holzman

PostPosted: Tue 28 Sep, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary Venable wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:
Chris Holzman wrote:

Chris

Hey if you guys do that drop me a line. I would make the trip down to meet some fellow forumites and talk about cool sharp things.

Gary,

that would be cool. I'm in Topeka at Washburn University School of Law during the week, and typically fence with Five Rings Fencing Club in KC on monday nights... they're at about 69th and Oak (in Lafayette Academie), maybe you can drop by sometime?

Chris Holzman
River City Fencing Club
Wichita, KS
Chris Holzman

PostPosted: Tue 28 Sep, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Chris Holzman wrote:

Chris

Sounds like fun... There is a lot of pretty darn cool stuff in Wichita these days, Laser Quest might be fun for the kids - corporate Laser Tag basically... could also get you into Health Strategies as a guest as well, and play with sabres or something. Big Grin

Chris Holzman
River City Fencing Club
Wichita, KS
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 28 Sep, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"Sigh... you've got it just as bad as me don't you? How long have you been doing this anyway Patrick?"

Worse probably, if the truth were told Big Grin

I've been actively collecting for almost twentysix years now, but I can't remember a time when I wasn't fascinated with the stuff.

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 28 Sep, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Holzman wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:
Chris Holzman wrote:

Chris

Sounds like fun... There is a lot of pretty darn cool stuff in Wichita these days, Laser Quest might be fun for the kids - corporate Laser Tag basically... could also get you into Health Strategies as a guest as well, and play with sabres or something. Big Grin

The next time I go to Wichita I'll be sure to let everyone know. Maybe we could arrange a get-together. I should have thought of it this last weekend, but everything was so spur of the moment that it never even crossed my mind.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Sempach arrives.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic