Go to page 1, 2  Next

Patrick Barta type XI sword commission
Hi everyone,

I thought I would provide a more nominal "in-progress" thread regarding my upcomming sword commission. This is to be a type XI inspired by XI. 5 in Records.

This blade has been inlayed with +INOMINIDOMINI+ and +GICELINMEFECIT+ on the respective sides. The pic provided here is not the greatest quality so sorry about that. Patrick is still in the process of finishing the blade.

I hope you enjoy following this project.

[ Linked Image ]

Last edited by Jeremy V. Krause on Wed 13 Apr, 2011 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Looks great so far! I'm sure he'll do a great job at this sword! His skills are amazing. Can't wait for a few more progress shots...
Thanks Jeremy, those inlays are going to look really nice when the blade is finished.

If memory serves, XI.5 is the one that a collector found in a shop umbrella stand, covered in aluminum paint. I've been checking umbrella stands ever since I read that; so far no medieval swords have turned up. ;)
Here is a thread related to my project where I am seeking more information about this sword.

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...ight=barta

I also thought that folks might want to see the original that my commission is to be inspired by. THis is, to my knowledge, the only pic of this particular sword. Oakescott believed that it should be dated 1120-1170.

The original pommel is gilt-iron but, because the modern method of gold electroplate can't produce a nice sturdy coat as the historical, and poisonous "fire-gilding" would, the pommel will be left in polished iron.

Patrick states that the laminated iron he will use is "several hundred years" old and does have an attractive and not-so-steral finish as can sometimes be seen on tool steel. I don't have any more information on the iron he will be using on the hilt components but I will ask.

Attachment: 7.36 KB
Original Records XI. 5..jpg

Please keep the pictures coming as you are able. I love these "in progress" threads.
I know you've been waiting a long time for this one and I'm glad to see it finally coming to fruition. I bet the anticipation is a killer. :D
Patrick Kelly wrote:
I know you've been waiting a long time for this one and I'm glad to see it finally coming to fruition. I bet the anticipation is a killer. :D

Yeah, I'm a little "tickled" by the whole thing. ;) :)
another pic. - original piece from Leeds
What a wonderufl piece of a sword - took a picture of a similar sword in RAM Leeds last year, looks great!
Sorry, itīs not a good picture.

[ Linked Image ][/img]
Re: another pic. - original piece from Leeds
Michal Spilka wrote:
What a wonderufl piece of a sword - took a picture of a similar sword in RAM Leeds last year, looks great!
Sorry, itīs not a good picture.

Wow! That's a great pic. It does appear to be a later period sword with that Scent-stopper? pommel. A great shot of the shape of the guard.

Thanks for sharing.
It will be interesting to see what Patrick Barta does with those beast heads on the guard

Attachment: 20.44 KB
XI6.jpg

Yes it will,

I did specify to Patrick that I wanted the iron on guard and pommell left plain and polished and not with the blackened and textured treatment that he sometimes does. He executes this surface treatment to great affect on his pieces but, in this case, I wanted a more typical finish.
Wow! That's a great pic. It does appear to be a later period sword with that Scent-stopper? pommel. A great shot of the shape of the guard.

Thanks for sharing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think itīs 13th C., but Iīm not sure.
Hello everyone,

Here are some pics. of my finished sword as sent from Patrick Barta. Enjoy!! :)

Here are some of the specs he provided:

Overall length 1116mm. (43.9 in.)
Blade length 855mm. (33.66 in.)
Blade width 49mm. (1.9 in.)
Point of balance 130mm before the guard. (5.1 in.)
Weight 1200g. (2.64 lbs.)

Along with the sword, he will be sending me a CD showing some of the making of my new toy. :)

Sorry about the small size of the pics. I couldn't figure out how to allow for zoom as I can in the originals.

Attachment: 4.42 KB
XI.5. hilt.jpg

Attachment: 3.16 KB
complete XI.5..jpg

Attachment: 2.34 KB
XI.5. blade 2.jpg

Attachment: 3.56 KB
XI.5. blade close up.jpg

Attachment: 2.62 KB
XI.5. blade 1.jpg

That looks kind of wonderful - the perfect, spare medieval sword with just a few artistic touches added. I hope that you can show us some close-up photos soon.
Ahhh, it looks great! I will second tthe need for some great close ups and a good full length shot as well. When do you receive it?
Thanks guys,

It's great to see this project done and soon to be in my grubby little hands. :)

Roger Hooper wrote:
That looks kind of wonderful - the perfect, spare medieval sword with just a few artistic touches added. I hope that you can show us some close-up photos soon.

Yes, when it arrives I will make sure and get some up-close shots. Though I can see the inlay on the zoom of the pics. Patrick sent me- you guys probably can't see much of anything. . . .

Tim, my bank system is screwed up and all of their trouble shooting couldn't fix it- preventing me from wiring the funds now- so I will have to get to a Western Union ASAP.

Patrick says it should take about a week.

I'm excited
Congratulations Jeremy on your beautiful new sword! For some reason your sword looks better than the original - maybe because the grip is much nicer than the one shown in Oakeshott's pictures. Also, the dimensions are larger than the dimenions provided in Records. Is records wrong or did you want a larger sword? Still the weight and CoG are low enough to make it 'balance like a fishing rod'. :) It must be brutal waiting that last week after so many years, but your baby is almost home. -JD
J.D. Crawford wrote:
Congratulations Jeremy on your beautiful new sword! For some reason your sword looks better than the original - maybe because the grip is much nicer than the one shown in Oakeshott's pictures. Also, the dimensions are larger than the dimenions provided in Records. Is records wrong or did you want a larger sword? Still the weight and CoG are low enough to make it 'balance like a fishing rod'. :) It must be brutal waiting that last week after so many years, but your baby is almost home. -JD

I am not sure that Patrick has a copy of ROTMS- well, 5 years ago he didn't, though I suppose he may have picked up one. I've got to take a look at XI.5 and see the specs. of the original, as Oakeshott recorded tham.

I do like the measurements he has chosen for this inspiration, at least as far as I can tell from the pics.

I'm not sure that Patrick's measurement for the overall length is accurate as it is 10 in. longer than the length of the blade. This would make the grip, at least looking at the pic. around 8 in. which doesn't seem right.

It does seem to be a rather light and nimble sword, but of course you really can't surmise so much with just specs.

I will give a much more comprehensive post when I receive it. Folks seem to be giving mini-reviews instead of the full on myArmoury review so maybe I'll do that- or go ahead and do a complete review as well though this seems redundant for members who would likely be interested in reading about this sword.

J.D., and/or TIm have you put together any complete reviews of your new and BEAUTIFUL pieces?
Not yet. I'm waiting until I get some others that are in process at the moment...
Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
J.D., and/or TIm have you put together any complete reviews of your new and BEAUTIFUL pieces?

Jeremy, if you mean the A&A type XII/O piece, yes, the review is here: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=22763

You can clear up the measurments on your sword when you write your review. :)
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: