Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > An Erickson Masterpiece: Early Quillioned Basket Hilt Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
GG Osborne

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 21 Apr, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: An Erickson Masterpiece: Early Quillioned Basket Hilt         Reply with quote

Also for your consideration, an early quillioned ribbon-style hilt from Eljay Erickson from the photo album on the Forum. ElJay recognized that the pommel was not correct and rather than use the round, ball type, he substituted the very nice faceted pommel you see here.

I need to take a nice pic of the finished hilt but as many of yoy know, I face the dilemma of new sword versus camera. Guess how that particular arguement came out? Razz

What more is there to say? Another masterwork from one of the finest craftsment and Christian gentlemen of our hobby, ElJay Erickson! Enjoy!

Attachment: 219.17 KB
Quillioned Basket Hilt.jpg

"Those who live by the sword...will usually die with a huge, unpaid credit card balance!"
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 21 Apr, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I want to see the final piece! Do what you can to share this with us, please!

You already know this, but I'll post it for the public to know as well. This sword is based on an original that is one that I've wanted to see made for many years.

It's a much earlier style (circa 1590-1600) than many basket-hilts that we see made on the modern market and so that's one thing that attracts me to it. The fact that it's most often labeled as "English" is another factor that distinguishes it from the much more commonly-created Scottish basket-hilts we see in the modern market.

I'm pleased to see that ElJay's extensive experience with antiques made him able to decisively determine that the pommel on the antique is not the original, but is instead a replacement. The pommel shape that sits on your sword is a much more appropriate representation of what was likely originally present on the hilt!

Modern consumers often forget the importance of having that experience with antiques and this is just one example of how such experience guides the interpretive work required to replicate a piece.

Attachment: 15.9 KB
EnglishBasketHilt1590.jpg
English basket-hilt, circa 1590

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 21 Apr, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

By the way, Glenn, I'd happily volunteer my photography services to you at any time. Simply box up your pieces and send them my way for photography. I will return them to you when done.

(I'm only half joking, as I've actually done this with Bill Grandy. When he first published his collection on myArmoury.com he did not have a digital camera and so sent his pieces to both myself and Patrick Kelly for photography. And yes, Bill had all his items returned!)

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Julien M

PostPosted: Fri 22 Apr, 2011 1:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, it certainly looks promising.

Just wondering, is the basket made of a single sheet of steel, shaped around the grip? How thick is it typically? (looks like 2mm on these pictures).
Stephen Curtin

Reading list: 18 books

PostPosted: Fri 22 Apr, 2011 4:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Amazing piece, Eljay really outdid himself with this one. I'm not usually a fan ribbon hilts, but this one just does it for me.
Éirinn go Brách
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Fri 22 Apr, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats, Glenn! That's one of the most beautyful early basket hilts I ken of. You're a very fortunate man.
I look forward to see what Eljay does with the finishing of this one.

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi GG

I never did see this post ..... nice piece there !

I've been in contact with Eljay in order to update my Picturetrail album of his work. He mentioned that you have a few baskethilts by him that are not included in my album ! Did you ever get to photograph a completed shot of this one ?
Also if you have any others of his work could you send 'em my way ?
My new e-mail is: tombeatle@gmail.com

Thanks, Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I, too, would very much like to see the finished piece. Please share!
David Wilson

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, please! Finished pics!!!
David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > An Erickson Masterpiece: Early Quillioned Basket Hilt
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic