Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Informative topic from Thorkil:news and up date of web site Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Grzegorz Kulig
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 27 Nov, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Informative topic from Thorkil:news and up date of web site         Reply with quote

Hello everybody. Happy
I have been very busy for last months and I haven't got much time for writing here. But now I got a cold, so I have some time to write here about some news from me. Wink

Well, first of all, there are many news on my web site. The text on "main page" is a bit different. http://www.thorkil.ovh.org/main.htm

We have added and up-dated some pages.
There are finally some information about my helmets and armours on F.A.Q. page: http://www.thorkil.ovh.org/faq_eng.htm
And soon there will be some more. I am thinking about adding some price list here, as well.

On "experiments and show" page you can find some information and photos taken during the process of raising a "Norman" helmet in one piece of steel in reconstructed smithies in Sweden and Denmark. Any new experiments will also have their report here.
http://www.thorkil.ovh.org/experiments.htm

Also, we have created a page "for sale" with stuff I have currently in stock : http://www.thorkil.ovh.org/for_sale_eng.htm

Finally, there is also a new "expeditions"page with photos and report from our reenacting trips.
http://www.thorkil.ovh.org/expeditions.htm

A very important information is my waiting list. First free term I have now is at the end of January 2010.
For 2010 there will be also some price rising, as live, materials etc will be for sure more expensive, becuase of inflation etc.

In production:
- houndsgugel bascinet from Wawel Castle in Kraków, Poland - raised in one piece of steel
- houndsgugel bascinet from Chartres Catherdral - raised in one piece of steel
- gothic gauntlets from Dresden
- celata from Churburg Castle - raised in one piece of steel

Plans for 2009 (only the new pieces):
1) Vendel period helmets:
- Vendel 14
- Valsgarde 5
- Vendel 12 in full version
- Benty Grange
- maybe Coppergate
2) medieval stuff
- leg armour from Chartres Cathedral
- Eastern masked helmet in one piece

My private projects for few next years in a free time:
- "half" of gothic armour,
- full lombardian armour.

Please, feel free to comment the changes on web site and suggesting new changes. Happy
I am going to show the new products in 2 topics in few minutes.

Thanks, Greg (aka Thorkil). Happy

NEW ONLINE SHOP : www.thorkilshop.com

NEW ADDRESS of my web site: www.thorkil.pl

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Thorkil-Grzegor...7530780383
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Grzegorz Kulig
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 02 Jan, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: new address of web site and other news         Reply with quote

Hello everybody.
First of all - Happy New Year from me and my wife - Gracjana. Happy

We want to inform you about some changes.
First - the most important thing. We've changed the address of our site. It is now: www.thorkil.pl

Second - we've added a new page - "projects under construction". We show there new stuff that I am currently making for my customers and also my private projects that I make when I have some spare time. http://thorkil.pl/under_realisation.htm

As always, feel free to comment. We are open to any suggestions regarding to the web site.

Best wishes for 2009,
Greg (aka Thorkil) and Gracjana.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Matt Corbin

PostPosted: Sun 05 Dec, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thorkil,

I know this is a bit of a necropost, but did you ever get the Benty Grange or Coppergate helm made? I would love to see your rendition of both of those Big Grin

“This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle.”
- R. Ewart Oakeshott
Grzegorz Kulig
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 21 Apr, 2011 3:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Matt.
I am sorry for such a long silence, but I haven't noticed your question.
Benty Grange helmet will be ready in summer this year. I don't have a commission for Copper Gate helmet at the moment, but of course would love to make it one day. Happy

Grzegorz Kulig
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 21 Apr, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello everyone.
Haven't been writing here for a long time, but Matt's question pushed me to share with you the news from me.

Last two years were very busy for me. I have been involved for some work for museums and of course for reenactors and collectors.
I am really happy I make some improvements in my craft. I try my best to make my techniques more and more traditional and historical. It doesn't simplify my work nor shorten the time of producing - generally it's quite the contrary, but it gives so much satisfaction and I hope that those "historical improvements" is visible on photos of my products.
I have made another progress in making replicas of Vendel period helmets. I am not using any electrical welding while making them, anymore. The bowls are now riveted of several pieces and soldered.
I also make a lot of casting by my own, now - by traditional way.
Together with my apprentice, Pawel, we learn to make riveted chainmailles. Now, I am co-operating with Pawel; and he makes all riveting chainmailes and aventails for my customers. There are many kinds of chainmailles that Pawel makes - long theme, maybe for another post.

Let's go with photos. I will show here only some of them, don't want to make this post too long. You can find more photos on my web site.

Replica of Spangenhelm from Chalon by the Saône River,
Blackened bowl. Gilded : brow-band, t-shape spangens, pike and cheek-pieces. There are scenes of hunting on the band. All leather elements hand-sewn by me.
Aventail made of riveted and solid rings - hand-made by Pawel Dubiel.

Vendel 14 helmet. in two versions.

Ultuna helmet.

Replica of Valsgärde 5 helmet
. Couldn't resist to show more than one photos, sorry.
Decorative press-bleches in silver plate. Eyebrows and animal head casted by me - first my own casting! :-)
First try of making the crest in anotherl technique :on the top of wooden block there are thin brass press bleches, riveted on the top.

New versions of Valsgärde 8 and Vendel 1 helmets with patina on brass pressbleches.

New and more proper version of Broa helmet:

Replica of helmet from Giecz.
Hand forged of four steel plates, each covered with copper gilded plate.
The helmet has been made for Museum Podkarpackie in Krosno, for the project Trzcinica- Carpatian Troy.

And a simpler version of the same helmet:

Replica of Hellenistic helmet found in Melos, now in Louvre, Paris.
All elements of helmet, icluding heads of Athena and of Gorgons, have been hand forged. The bowl is constructed of two bowls, riveted at the crest. There is a wooden block inside the crest. Cheekplates has been reconstructed based on other examples of helmets with survived all elements.

The end of part one. ;-)

Grzegorz Kulig
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 21 Apr, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hundsgugel bascinet based on Charles VI helmet from Chartres Cathedral.
The bascinet, as well as the visor have been raised in one piece of steel with using charcoal fire!
Fluer-de-lys brass decoration inspired by the decoration on Charles VI armour.

Replica of bascinet from Churburg Armoury (circa 1360).
Both the bowl and visor has been raised in charcoal fire. The inscription on brass elements is original text reconstructed, the inscription has been engraved by me.

Vendel period shields.
Vendel 12.

Valsgärde 7

[img]Replica of Vendel period belt from Tuna made of silver in casting and filigree techniques with red emanamel.[/img] All done by myself.

Reconstruction of silver scabbard chape from Trzcinica, Poland, X-XIth cent. Made for Museum Podkarpackie in Krosno, for the project Trzcinica- Carpatian Troy.

Replica of sword from Machów, Poland, IX-Xth cent.
Steel pommel and cross-guard has been decorated with brass inlay. Wooden scabbard has been covered with leather, plus it has a grip made of deer's antler and reconstruction of silver chape found in Trzcinica, Poland.

Replica of sword from Radymno, Poland.
Pommel and cross-guear made of steel. Wooden scabbard has been covered with leather, plus it has a grip made of deer's antler.

The end of part two.

Grzegorz Kulig
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 21 Apr, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Replica of knife found in Gotland. Viking period.

Pattern-welded, hand forged blade.

Recontruction of knife found in Gotland. Vendel period.

Pattern-welded, hand forged blade.

A collection of early middle ages knives replicas from Poland.

That was the last part.

All comments are welcome. Happy

David Huggins

PostPosted: Thu 21 Apr, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Thorkil         Reply with quote

Consumate skills Greg..about time th Polish authorities made you a National Treasure Wink

BTW love the new Valsgarde 8 and Vendel 1

best
Dave

and he who stands and sheds blood with us, shall be as a brother.
Grzegorz Kulig
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 22 Apr, 2011 2:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you, Dave. Happy It all wouldn't be possible without people like you and others from Wulfheodenas group and all my customers. You have been and still are so helpful.

Yes, putting the patina on pressbleches was a very good idea, IMHO. It makes all details almost speak to you. ;-)

Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(11 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 22 Apr, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Absolutely magnificent! I've seen these helmets before but they never fail to awe me! The knives and seaxes are wonderful too. Actually, everything on your site is great!
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 22 Apr, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been always amazed by the progress you've made since we first met. Happy Your works are becoming better and better.

Give me a call when you visit Krakow next time. It has been far too long since we drunk some mead together.

www.elchon.com

Polish Guild of Knifemakers

The sword is a weapon for killing, the art of the sword is the art of killing. No matter what fancy words you use or what titles you put to
it that is the only truth.
Grzegorz Kulig
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 22 Apr, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you, Tim. Happy
Michal - thanks. I haven't been in Krakow for a long time and I don't plan to do it, because I'm too busy, but thanks for invitation. Big Grin

Grzegorz Kulig
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2011 5:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some better views of the knives made last year for a Polish museum. All are replicas of knives and sheaths found in Poland.

BTW - just reminding that I have some nice in stock pieces for sale with reduced prices!

Matt Corbin

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thorkil,

Wow!!! I really don't know how I managed to miss your update to this thread for so long. Every one of those is stunning. The new aged look to the Valsgarde helmets is just adding a whole new dimension. It's like they literally stepped out of history. Simply breathtaking.

I just wish I could afford to place an order of my own Laughing Out Loud

p.s. any pictures of the Benty Grange?

“This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle.”
- R. Ewart Oakeshott
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

Feedback score: 100%
(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Your work is stunning.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Bruce Tordoff
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 29 Oct, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Thorkils work         Reply with quote

Hey Greg,
I agree with Dave, My favourites are the V1 and V8 with the brass press blechs and the patina. They really pop in the 'gold' like colour of the brass.
Also to throw back the compliment, if it wasn't for such talented artisans such as yourself and Dave Roper, Wulfheodenas would not look quite as shiny and bling. An honour to have you on board my friend.

Got some exciting stuff to talk with you about off forum. Talk soon, all the best to you and G,

Bruce

ps, Greg, if you wanna see your V6 and V8 on TV check out this trailer for Nat Geo. ( I was trying to walk in a way that showed off your workmanship in a manly and warrior like way) Lol! (and thats Sinbad wearing Grahams V8 in the 2nd row.)

http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/pla...sword.html
Bruce Tordoff
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 29 Oct, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Thorkils work         Reply with quote

Oh and Incidentally, there's a nice bit on this trailer of Owen Bush making a PW blade.
Grzegorz Kulig
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 03 Nov, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matt, Nathan, Bruce - thank you for the kind words!

I'm sorry I don't have time to write or post photos on forums, but I'm very busy and life is hard. However, I will have some new projects to share soon.
Matt, Benty Grange helmet has been postponed for some unknown future.

Matt Corbin

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Grzegorz Kulig wrote:

Matt, Benty Grange helmet has been postponed for some unknown future.

Oh that is a shame. I had been so looking forward to that helmet. Hopefully some day. Nevertheless I'm sure the ones you're working on now will be stunning.

- R. Ewart Oakeshott
Simon Whittle

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am sitting in front of my computer drooling and wondering how many of my non-vital organs I am willing to sell so that I can buy one of those helmets. Eek!
*Warning, poster has odd sense of humor*

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Informative topic from Thorkil:news and up date of web site
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: