Unknown (at least for me) bascinet.
Greeting!
I am looking for any information about this bascinet. I have only one photo and after a long period of searching I've found nothing. is this an artifact or a modern product? I confused about the visor and the way it attached to such kind of form of the helmet (so-called "clap visor" (am I right?) is more common) I appreciate any help you could give me.
P.S. The image
[ Linked Image ]
P.P.S. Sorry for my bad English :\
Oh, Gods! I've found it in local gallery! :surprised: I am so sorry I wasn't attentive enough! But I still want to know some info.
It looks, to my untrained eye, to be a fairly standard "pig faced bascinet". The pin by the hinge is to allow the visor to be removed, as opposed to the "solid" side/permanently attached, which is more common. Here's a site with the same style helmet, including hinge:

http://www.jelldragon.com/medieval_helmets.htm

Hope that helps some.
Thank you for reply, James.
If anyone could give some info about a museum this helmet was placed in or a period and region it was used, I will be happy. :)
Paris, Musee de l'Armee. It does indeed look as though the skull is classic German, like that at Veste Coburg. Hmm, better check the front of the skull for filled in holes! :\
Thank you!
I found another photo but it's still impossible to see perforation. I am sure it is, but there is no any evidence except common sense :)
[ Linked Image ]
Finally!
[ Linked Image ]
Low resolution, but I can see the holes! :)
Thank you, gentlemen, for your participation.
Here is one of my shots of this helmet, it was taken by mobile internal camera, the quality is low. But you can clearly see the filled in holes in the helmet.

Attachment: 150.47 KB
[ Download ]
Thank you very much for the photo, it's very useful!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: