Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Yushman Project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24, 25, 26  Next 
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

Feedback score: 100%
(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Boris Petrov Bedrosov-

You've got some skills. You really do.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Boris Bedrosov
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan
Thank you very much!
I really appreciate that.

Gregory
I have missed your question once - sorry for that. So, let me answer it now.
The shield, however, is not flat. It has some curvature - not much, but it has. To be precise - 7 cm at 58 cm wight at the bottom. The reason is my shield-press, which obviously is shallow (you can see it - I think I posted a picture of the blank in the press during the glueing process). I consider some enhancement to make the press a bit deeper.
As I said, now I hesitate about the combat shield - should it be the current round one, or to make another winged shield. If I decide to make a new one, I surely will glue it over more curved surface - I think over a barrel, which is currently within my reach.

"Everyone who has the right to wear a long sword, has to remember that his sword is his soul,
and he has to separate from it when he separates from his life"
Tokugawa Ieyasu

Find my works on Facebook:
Boris Bedrosov's Armoury
Boris Bedrosov
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 06 Mar, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Another Diversion         Reply with quote

Meanwhile, while working on the dagger, I managed to make a guard and pommel of this training sword, belonging to a friend of mine.

You could find some more pictures here: http://bbedrosov.snimka.bg/hobby/galeriya-moi...6.22509354

The grip still misses, because the owner's intention is to make it himself.

"Everyone who has the right to wear a long sword, has to remember that his sword is his soul,
Tokugawa Ieyasu

Boris Bedrosov's Armoury
Boris Bedrosov
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: The Cuirass - Continue         Reply with quote

If you remember, the last time we left the cuirass in a condition like this:

Starting the work over it again, my first intention is to fill the trapezoid gaps under the armpits with maille.
The two sections

were not hard to be done.
And here

they are expanded with full three-ring strap, waiting to be riveted in place.

Tokugawa Ieyasu

Boris Bedrosov's Armoury
Boris Bedrosov
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 11 Mar, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: The Cuirass - Continue         Reply with quote

Now, the trapezoid sections are riveted in place:

And two closer views:
* to the whole section

** and to the horizontal "seam"

where the rows of maille change their direction - from running vertically to running horizontally, something that can be seen virtually everywhere in authentic armours of combined maille-and-plate type.

The connection of the sections in vertical direction (i.e. to the holes in the plates) turned out to be a tricky business.
My first intention was to connect each couple of interlocking rings (they are interlocking, because the edge of the section runs diagonally) directly to its corresponding hole. The little test I made

showed me, that this idea is not good.
Returning to my collection of pictures of the "real things", I found out that the old armourers usually used an additional ring (which I immediately called "parasite ring"), which is connected freely to each outer ring of the section. And then the seam appeared natural and was easy to be done:

This picture:

shows even closer view to the connection. I hope, you could easily distinguish the "parasite" rings and how each two of them are connected to the corresponding hole.

Tokugawa Ieyasu

Boris Bedrosov's Armoury
Boris Bedrosov
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 15 Mar, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: The Cuirass - Continue         Reply with quote

From the remains of the maille-shirt I cut the sleeves for the cuirass.
First, they were marked:

The easiest way for me to do this was to use short pieces of threads with different colours. On the picture the red threads guided me where to cut, while the blue ones (unfortunately, barely visible) marked the reference points - beginning, end, middle, ect.

Here

the sleeves are already cut, but still remain as a one piece. Minutes later, I divided them in two in order to facilitate my work during the next step.

Tokugawa Ieyasu

Boris Bedrosov's Armoury
Boris Bedrosov
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 17 Mar, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: The Cuirass - Continue         Reply with quote

The next step was to expand the sleeves.
I wasn't very sure exactly how much they needed to be expanded, so I expanded them with different amount of additional rows. Here:

the left sleeve (which actually is on the right) is expanded with seven rows, while the right one (on the left) - with eleven. The cuirass was assembled for test-fit

which revealed

that:
* the cuirass looks good;
** the 11-rows expansion is good, but 7-rows is better, although I still think the truth is somewhere between - may be 9-rows will be perfect;
*** I need to close the neck-opening, which is too big now (actually, this procedure is already in the to-do-list);
and last, but not least **** my belly has become almost enormous Mad Mad Mad

Tokugawa Ieyasu

Boris Bedrosov's Armoury
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 17 Mar, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Cuirass - Continue         Reply with quote

Boris Petrov Bedrosov wrote:
my belly has become almost enormous Mad Mad Mad

Yeah, I sympathize as I sort of look and feel the same. Sad Wink

On the plus side you do have a powerful and scary " V " shape seen from the back that normally only comes from years of heavy weight training. Wink

At least fat but very strong looking is better than fat and round and soft ! ( Not that great for one's heart and I have a similar body type so I feel Mad Mad Mad about myself the same ).

Getting back to the work: It's absolutely amazing in every way and very aesthetically pleasing and a joy to follow all the steps in making this armour. A great deal of skill, knowledge and talent shown in the making. Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Boris Bedrosov
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 18 Mar, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Cuirass - Continue         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Yeah, I sympathize as I sort of look and feel the same. Sad Wink

Hehehehe Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud
Obviously, our wives are taking a good care for us!

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
A great deal of skill, knowledge and talent shown in the making. Big Grin Cool

I think the succesful formula is desire to learn + desire to work. The rest will come after some years

Tokugawa Ieyasu

Boris Bedrosov's Armoury
Eric Hejdström

PostPosted: Fri 18 Mar, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This kind of armour is not really my cup of tera or my interest but I'm very impressed with the work so far Boris!
I think it's very kind of you to show the whole process to all the people here. Great job with everything!

And byt the way, don't worry about the belly. You're not like me and try to squeeze into a gothic cuirass of the late 15th century... Waistlines and all ar nice features but does not fit my figure. You just look impressive!
Nat Lamb

PostPosted: Fri 18 Mar, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I always get really excited when I see this thread is updated, and it was most certainly warrented this time (not that it wasn't previously). That armour always looked like it was going to be pretty darn cool, but the end product is just astounding. Boris, you are a legend and an inspiration!
Boris Bedrosov
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 19 Mar, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: The Cuirass - Continue         Reply with quote

Yesterday I finished the sleeves

and started to connected them with the torso.

After finishing this step the to-do-list includes:
* to check once again the expansion and add two more rows of rings if necessary;
** to check the neck-opening;
*** to make and attach the collar;
and **** to re-work the ends (the cuffs) of the sleeves. Often the sleeves of the Ottoman maille were fashioned and cut with diagonal pattern of the cuffs, not straight as elsewhere in Europe (I'm afraid, I didn't manage to explain this correct). This means that the sleeve is shorter at the inside (towards the body) and longer to the outside (towards the enemy). Apart from nice appearance, this is a way to make the cuirass lighter.

Tokugawa Ieyasu

Boris Bedrosov's Armoury
Boris Bedrosov
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 22 Mar, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: The Cuirass - Continue         Reply with quote

So, the torso and the sleeves are now assembled:

* front

** back

*** and some more detailed pictures of the seams (front and back)

To be honest, I expected this to be one of the most daunting steps of the cuirass, but it proved to be far less difficult. I almost enjoyed assembling the parts.
The test-fit #2 showed that, apart from attaching collar and cutting the edges of the sleeves (steps that will be done anyway), I must re-work the neck-opening just a little bit.

Tokugawa Ieyasu

Boris Bedrosov's Armoury
Tibor Szebenyi

PostPosted: Sat 26 Mar, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
my belly has become almost enormous Mad Mad Mad

Such a beautiful armour should belong to a pasha at least, not a common foot soldier, or not an ordinary sipahi. May I say Your belly is historically accurate for a high-ranked Ottoman officer, so no problem. Wink
Boris Bedrosov
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 27 Mar, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tibor Szebenyi wrote:
May I say Your belly is historically accurate for a high-ranked Ottoman officer, so no problem. Wink

Hehehehe
Very well said, Tibor! Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud
BTW, I have a PM from you to answer. I know I'm too late now, but it's not forgotten.

Well, this is the torso just prior to final assembly

The collar and the cuts of the sleeves are well visible. The triangular sections, which will be lessened of course, will be added at the outmost straight tips.

After some work these days, this is the result. Here, you can clearly see the diagonal edge of the sleeves.

* front

** back

*** back "unwrapped"

The last major step will be to connect the torso and the skirt:

Tokugawa Ieyasu

Boris Bedrosov's Armoury
Johan Gemvik

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 27 Mar, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is simpy excellent! The brass fittings on the darkened steel really brings it out.
I'm also a fan of plated maille and have been thinking about making some and this thread is very inspiring.

I was also intrigued to see the bone shaped dog chewing bones being so nice to work with for shield edging. I've used the scrolls but thought these form pressed ones were unuseable. So these are actually made from good quality calf skin? I just have to try this.

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge
Boris Bedrosov
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Johan,
Actually I prefer to use scroll chewing bones too, but strangely they disappeared from the Bulgarian market approx. a year ago.
My experience with pressed ones shows they work very well also, but you need some luck with them - sometimes they were pressed so hard during manufacturing, that the hide is torn at some places.

Tokugawa Ieyasu

Boris Bedrosov's Armoury
Boris Bedrosov
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 08 Apr, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: The Cuirass - Almost Ready         Reply with quote

The cuirass is almost ready. I finished this step several days ago, but I was waiting for a better weather - sunny, with no dark clouds, in order to take the pictures without the flash of my camera.

* front

** front with locks and straps done

*** a look inside (I think it was never shown before)

and **** back

As you see, finished skirt is lesser than the planned (and made) one. When I connected the torso and skirt, it's lower edge was under my knee-cop. Obviously, I have made some mistake calculating the lenght of the skirt - I didn't expect the maille-and-plate to "stretch" almost the same manner as "pure" maille.
This forced me to shorten the skirt by cutting one of the rows.

What was left before complete finishing of the cuirass is:
* to add a short strap and buckle just over the upper-front plates (in order to close the collar)
and ** to lace the collar with tiny leather straps passing through the rings (such lacing is sometimes seen on the authentic armours and I suspect its purpose is to made the collar more rigid while protecting the neck of the warrior from the metal rings)
These are planned to be made next week.

Tokugawa Ieyasu

Boris Bedrosov's Armoury
Johan Gemvik

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

MY GOD that's one sweet plated maille! Big Grin

I actually bought a chewing bone of the layered pressed type to try it out and compare to the scroll & knot type. It seems they're thinner calf skin and something like parchment more than rawhide, at least the one I got. Maybe I got lucky, but also they seem to come in various qualities. The big tan ones seem to be better than the smaller semi-transparent ones, which seem aged or made from a different animal or part. Very nice to work with. I imagine one could make all sorts of craft stuff out of it. Knife sceaths, stiff leather details, and of course shield edging.
But this is just the cover layer I mean, the inner parts seem just smaller less useable pieces than the large ones from the scroll chewing bones.

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge
Boris Bedrosov
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 12 Apr, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: The Cuirass - Almost Ready         Reply with quote

Boris Petrov Bedrosov wrote:
These are planned to be made next week.

Unfortunatelly, this will not happen this week.
I've got medical problems with my waist and back, so next several days I plan to take a rest, doing some easier work.

Really sorry for this delay Sad

Tokugawa Ieyasu

Boris Bedrosov's Armoury

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Yushman Project
Page 9 of 26 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24, 25, 26  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: