Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sword insurance Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Carl Massaro

PostPosted: Wed 23 Mar, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Sword insurance         Reply with quote

I apologize if this has been brought up before, or if this is the wrong forum, but I did a search and couldn't find anything on this subject.

Who do you fellow collectors use to insure your antique swords?
Allen Foster

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Thu 24 Mar, 2011 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Sword insurance         Reply with quote

Carl Massaro wrote:
I apologize if this has been brought up before, or if this is the wrong forum, but I did a search and couldn't find anything on this subject.

Who do you fellow collectors use to insure your antique swords?

Carl,

I don't know of anyone doing specific "sword insurance", but most home insurance companies will specifically insure just about anything that has a proper appraisal or recent receipt under a policy called a Personal Articles Floater "PAF". The cost varys widely from insurer to insurer so I would definitely shop around. Another similar way to cover something like this is to purchase a Fine Arts Floater which will require a similar appraisal.

Good luck.

"Rise up, O Lord, and may thy enemies be dispersed and those who hate thee be driven from thy face."
Harry J. Fletcher

Reading list: 44 books

PostPosted: Fri 25 Mar, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Insurance for swords         Reply with quote

Insurance for swords is a very good question especially if one has several expensive swords. By expensive I mean over over $600 or $700 but other lesser valued swords can be included also. First homeowners insurance should cover the loss but remember there will a deductible for the loss in case of fire or theft. One advantage is that theft is covered away from home so if you take your pretty to a fair and it is stolen you can recover your loss. This depends on the type of coverage you have and needs to be discussed with your insurance agent. Additionally, you will be asked to provide copies of purchase receipts and pictures in many cases to vouch for the fact that you actually have these swords as you have claimed. I have an addenum for an expensive watch I have which has appreciated in value from when I bought it years ago and so pay an extra $60 premium for it but it is covered in case of accidental loss or theft or fire even away from home. In addition I have a good many firearms which add up to a sizable sum as well. Your car insurance may cover a theft or accident loss in some cases so check this avenue as well.

For those without homeowners insurance a good investment is renter's insurance. These days with all the nutcases and crackheads you have to worry about your apartment being burglarized or burnt down around your ears and only getting out wearing your underwear. Renter's insurance covers the loss of your wardrobe, furnishings, jewelry, electronics, firearms and other miscellaneous items such as swords. Talk with an insurance agent about the different policies and coverage available in your state.

Hope this helps! Wink Wink Wink Cool

Harry

To Study The Edge of History

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sword insurance
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic