Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Nick Johnson/Knives by Nick Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
A. Heidalen Skog

PostPosted: Sat 26 Feb, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Nick Johnson/Knives by Nick         Reply with quote

Hi all.

I am wondering if anyone here has heard of this man recently? I ordered a few items from him last summer, payed 50% in advance, and have heard nothing from him since the 14th of September last year.

He has got two websites:

http://www.knivesbynick.co.uk/index.html

http://www.ironick.co.uk/

Thanks in advance.
Simon G.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 26 Feb, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Nick Johnson/Knives by Nick         Reply with quote

A. Heidalen Skog wrote:
Hi all.

I am wondering if anyone here has heard of this man recently? I ordered a few items from him last summer, payed 50% in advance, and have heard nothing from him since the 14th of September last year.

He has got two websites:

http://www.knivesbynick.co.uk/index.html

http://www.ironick.co.uk/

Thanks in advance.

I feel for you, it must be quite worrying.

Here is a post by someone here on this forum who received an axe from Nick Johnson in mid-October 2010:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=21161

Have you tried contacting him by mail or phone as posted on his website? Phone might be a good way to go to get to him directly. Nowadays there are many ways to make phone calls internationally for not too much.

I wish you courage and luck, hope it will resolve soon.

Cheers,
Simon
Julian Reynolds

PostPosted: Sat 26 Feb, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As Simon rightly points out, I have commissioned work from Nick relatively recently.

I placed the order for my boarding axe in mid-July 2010 (with a 50% deposit) and it was finished and shipped mid-October 2010.

Some of you out there may have more recent experience of working with Nick (or he may even be reading this topic), but I can't really fault the quality of his work for the price, even though he took a lot longer than he originally quoted (that's not unusual for a totally custom piece that wasn't particularly straightforward in its design).

Most of my communication was by email, to which he responded speedily, although I did need to give the occasional prod when things went quiet.

Hope you get through to him OK, as I thought the finished article was worth the wait.

Julian
Philip Melhop

PostPosted: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 6:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wish I had seen this earlier, I have just paid a deposit on a boarding axe too. He was very prompt in responding to my emails and quoted a 6-8 week delivery.
I guess I wait and see.
Phil
A. Heidalen Skog

PostPosted: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have contacted him several times by mail, but no answer. Have not called though.

Paying almost 400$ (50%) up front, and not to receive a word is not fun at all.
Phil Crawley

PostPosted: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've ordered from him twice.

The first item came promptly and even had extra bits thrown in for free. The second item was months overdue, having been quoted weeks, and it took a serious amount of effort on my part to get it out of him, including threatening legal action.

The quality was excellent on both pieces though so I suspect it's the usual problem of a one man operation being "discovered" and getting a deluge of unexpected orders.

I'm considering a third order ( some kind of fokos) but will be expecting and negotiating a realistic delivery time from him

-- Angels also carry weapons --
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/symposium.html
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/PhilCrawley
A. Heidalen Skog

PostPosted: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Received an e-mail from Nick last night. Someone on this forum had contacted him mentioning this thread.
Thank you whoever you are ^^

It seems he is a bit overworked.
Philip Melhop

PostPosted: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wasn't me, but it never hurts for these guys to know that we talk to each other Big Grin Personally I find "overworked" to be a very poor excuse for non-communication. If you can't do the work in a timely manner ........don't take the deposit.
Phil
Bridget C

PostPosted: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Everyone
This is my very first entry on a forum!! I wish I had discovered this forum in November 2010 when I placed an order with Nick and paid for it in full – yep in full – mug that I am.
He explained that my langsax would not be ready before Christmas and I had no problem with that, he also said that he would be in contact soon. I have since tried to contact him via emails – all ignored until I had to send a rather unpleasant one. He got back to me apologising and stating that he had had ‘computer problems’ and had lost my details and that he hoped to finish the langsax by the end of the week. Two weeks later my husband telephoned him to inquire about the order only to be told that he had hurt his knee and was on crutches, but he only had three outstanding orders one of which was ours. I now read that he is overworked – 3 different excuses.
I have do not have a problem having to wait for items – if I’d been sent a langsax the following week I’d have known it wasn’t custom made. However, what I do have a problem with is his lack of contact – an email just to say that he had not forgotten us and to give us an update on the progress (or non progress as the case might be) would have been nice. Instead I got nothing at all with a worry that I have been a victim to a conman.
My son tells me that I will be getting a TLDR for this posting – I really hope I don’t but I am rather cross!!
Emil Andersson

PostPosted: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bridget C wrote:

My son tells me that I will be getting a TLDR for this posting – I really hope I don’t but I am rather cross!!

You shouldn't worry about that, the childish TLDR-phenomenon is a thing of immature audiences. As long as what you're writing is relevant to the discussion it will be read.

I haven't ever made any dealings with this maker, but I sincerely hope that you'll all come out of this with your wanted bounty.
Philip Melhop

PostPosted: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

have to say that I have had dealings with a number of makers in the UK and have had no problems, I will wait and see what happens, the proposed delivery time puts it outside the Paypal dispute window Mad .
Phil
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bridget C wrote:

Tell your son that, on this site, your post is not considered long at all. In fact, it's rather short. Around here, we like complete sentences that convey complex thoughts rather than quick single-line posts that offer no real value. In short, we prefer signal over noise. Your post was just fine.

Cheers!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Philip Melhop

PostPosted: Thu 03 Mar, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

did the original poster get sorted to their satisfaction? How about Bridget C?
sorry about the bump but I have a personal interest here
Thanks
Phil
Bridget C

PostPosted: Thu 03 Mar, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Philip Melhop wrote:
Thanks
Phil

Still heard nothing from him, I'll probably if the thread isn't too dead post about it on here.

Last edited by Bridget C on Thu 10 Mar, 2011 7:08 am; edited 1 time in total
A. Heidalen Skog

PostPosted: Thu 03 Mar, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Philip Melhop wrote:
Thanks
Phil

Still not sorted. But I have a teensyweensy bit more hope now though.
Paul Moxon

PostPosted: Tue 15 Mar, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Order from Nick         Reply with quote

I ordered from Nick in mid December and have emailed him a few times with one response. He mentioned he had hurt his knee, this might be why the wait is so long. However, originally he said it would take him 4 weeks to complete the order and in his last email 1 week, that was nearly a month ago now. I recently sent him another email asking for a refund, as my wife and kids gave me the money for my Christmas present :-) Looks like Dad won't be getting a Christmas present this time around. I'll let you know if I ever get the Scramasax or my money back.
Bridget C

PostPosted: Thu 17 Mar, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, its a happy ending for me as my item has now been picked up for courier delivery.
Philip Melhop

PostPosted: Fri 18 Mar, 2011 3:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is good news Big Grin I had contact a couple of days ago, so there is hope yet.
Does anyone know if he is aware of this thread?
Phil
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 18 Mar, 2011 5:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bridget C wrote:
Well, its a happy ending for me as my item has now been picked up for courier delivery.

Always a relief when stuff finally arrives and even more when the communication from the maker/vendor has been spotty at best ! These things can happen occasionally with even the best makers when " life " gets in the way but one should not be as forgiving if it's a pattern of bad communication. ( Not forgiving just means thinking twice or even thrice about buying something else from the same maker ).

Following general comments not directly aimed at a specific maker or customer relations issue: Many delays can be acceptable if not excessive or repeated over months or years, since customs projects can have unpredictable setbacks, but delays aren't acceptable or professional behaviour when the maker becomes unreachable or one can not longer believe that the " excuses " are credible or truthful.

But there are some makers who give excellent service, keep their time commitments generally well, and are easy to reach if one has concerns or questions and even better yet " proactive " in keeping the customer informed about the status or any status change in their project. ( Not as numerous as they should be and they make the others look even worse in comparison )

Oh, Bridget I hope that now you have that happy ending you will continue visiting the site and posting replies or ask questions on any Topic(s) you find of interest.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Bridget C

PostPosted: Sun 20 Mar, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We collected the most magnificent Langsax late on Friday evening - just as the courier was shutting up shop (we were out when they attempted delivery)

All I can say is it was worth every second of the wait, it is truly a beautiful, one of a kind item from the sheath to the blade. The only fault I can make is the lack of contact from Nick, his skills and quality of workmanship cannot be faulted in any way.

We shall be recommending him and (if he will accept our order!) will use him again. and we will try to be more patient!

I have written to Nick to say how pleased we are with the item and - well basically everything I have already mentioned.

My advice is to anyone who wishes to commission Nick is to order long before the item is required.

I sincerely hope that everyone else who is waiting for an item from Nick are as pleased with their order as we are our with ours.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Nick Johnson/Knives by Nick
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: