Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > OlliN Falchion purchase. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 13 Mar, 2011 4:10 am    Post subject: OlliN Falchion purchase.         Reply with quote

Well been drooling over this one for a while and I just couldn't take waiting any longer so good idea or bad as far as my bank account is concerned I " bit the bullet " and amputated some cash from my account and bought the OlliN Falchion which is a version of the Thorpe Falchion.

I did consider other possible Falchions that are also very appealing like the Albion Vassal but the deciding factor was blade length which longer with the OlliN version and closer to the average two edged one handed sword of 30" to 33" sword length.

The shorter length falchions and later messer are close to 26" / 28" in length and although maybe handier I sort of like the idea of a full length blade better.

My first falchion and also a deciding factor because it does fill an unfilled niche in my collection.

I may have to make my own scabbard though but this may be easier with a single edged sword: Making the wood part should be easy but I'm uncertain if I will commit to covering it with leather as my first reason for it is just storage and I don't know if I want to put in the effort ? In any case once the wood core is done I might have a local friend cover the wood with leather as he has made a few scabbards for me in the past, and this will avoid having to ship the falchion or have him hold on to it during the month or two it might take for him to finish the scabbard ( Metal scabbard furniture is another problem to solve for a falchion )

Anyway, I usually hesitate to buy swords that don't come with at least a minimal scabbard but I can at least cobble up a storage one quickly ...... I'm good with carving and hand tools I'm just too lazy to usually wanting to commit the time to make a scabbard. Wink Laughing Out Loud I have made a few crude one's in the past but the excellent DIY scabbard project by some of you out there, not to mention the talented professional makers have unfortunately raised my expectation about how crude is too crude and I might have to put some real effort into a project .....

In any case this falchion is worth the effort and I can live scabbard-less for a while as the OlliN swords usually come in a nice wooden box that can be used for storage and " safe ' display.

Oh, here is a link to the KoA page showing the falchion:
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...Falchion+C

NOTE: Took a nice stiff drink and said to myself " why not " and spent the money ..... too late now. Wink Razz Oh, and folks " Don't drink and Paypall. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud Oh, well sometimes life is just too short to not indulge ourselves. WTF?! Wink

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 13 Mar, 2011 4:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This Topic ( Linked below ) also was a deciding factor in purchasing the OlliN falchion, as I remembered the Topic and did a search to refresh my memory that the OlliN falchion was based on the Thorpe falchion although their production version seem more a generic copy of the type or a very similar one than the full custom collaboration with Christian fletcher and OlliN.

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=13370&start=0

JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 13 Mar, 2011 4:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats on your purchase! Happy
J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 13 Mar, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean,
Congrats! I've been very interested in that piece since I first saw it. Maybe someday you could impulse buy a digital camera instead of a sword so we could all see pics of your ever-growing collection. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sun 13 Mar, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A very good choice Jean. I have handled a copy of this sword and got to meet Mark and Matt at the same time. I could only dry handle it as it was in a crowded area but the blade has a great presence as well as being nicely balanced. Plus Mark and Matt are great guys as you are well aware of after the Ravenwolf project they made for you. In fact it was one of the things I spoke with them about when I met them.
Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 13 Mar, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats on a beauty Jean! I really like the guard on this one. Something about the rounded ends with the cut outs is just plain cool! Enjoy it!
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 13 Mar, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: OlliN Falchion purchase.         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
NOTE: Took a nice stiff drink and said to myself " why not " and spent the money ..... too late now. Wink Razz Oh, and folks " Don't drink and Paypall. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud Oh, well sometimes life is just too short to not indulge ourselves. WTF?! Wink

I'll drink to that. It is a rather nice looking Falchion though Cool

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Chris Last

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sun 13 Mar, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Excellent Jean! You will not be disappointed. It is an amazing piece!
" Hang fires are all fun and games untill someone gets their eye poked out... by charging calvary." - J.Shoemaker

Chris Last
GSM-Bristol
http://www.gsmbristol.org
Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Sun 13 Mar, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations Jean,

That's a really fearsome looking weapon and at 3lbs.2oz. I am sure it will come with a bit of "punch".

The folks at Ollin seem to really capture the complex blade design here.

It's nice to see that the KOA lists this fine sword as "battle ready". Happy Wink
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Last wrote:
Excellent Jean! You will not be disappointed. It is an amazing piece!

Chris should know Jean. Since it was his falchion that I was able to handle last year!

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Chris Last

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
C

It's nice to see that the KOA lists this fine sword as "battle ready". Happy Wink

Oh it is. When taking it to a couple of cantaloupes, we deemed it "f@#$-all Sharp."

" Hang fires are all fun and games untill someone gets their eye poked out... by charging calvary." - J.Shoemaker

Chris Last
GSM-Bristol
http://www.gsmbristol.org
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Jean,
Congrats! I've been very interested in that piece since I first saw it. Maybe someday you could impulse buy a digital camera instead of a sword so we could all see pics of your ever-growing collection. Happy

I've mentioned this to Jean in the past as well. I say we start a donation drive for "Jean's New Camera" if only for my own selfish desire to see the awesome collection that he has amassed. Wink

That is one attractive falchion. It would be fun to see it in context with the rest of Jean's collection (ala Chad's & Nathan's drool worthy posts).

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just got the usual e-mail notice from Kult of Athena telling me that the sword has been shipped and with the tracking number. Happy Cool
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No camera? They are like $20 at Wal-Mart, man. Do the community a favor and get yourself one. If moneys an issue, I will Amazon you one as a gift. Laughing Out Loud
J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

JE Sarge wrote:
No camera? They are like $20 at Wal-Mart, man. Do the community a favor and get yourself one. If moneys an issue, I will Amazon you one as a gift. Laughing Out Loud

I offered to send him a camera but he said he already had one years ago. Happy

(Jean, this is a hint: we want to see your FANTASTIC collection in photos!)

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Tue 15 Mar, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean, Im going to echo all the other statements of desire to see photos of your collection. Really i think it would be awesome to see your collection featured in the collection gallery! Big Grin
..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 16 Mar, 2011 4:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
JE Sarge wrote:

I offered to send him a camera but he said he already had one years ago. Happy

(Jean, this is a hint: we want to see your FANTASTIC collection in photos!)

Yeah, still in the box and never got around to playing with it. Sad Sad Sad Wink Blush

If the bill is still in the box I may be shocked ( date of purchase ) by how efficient my procrastination can be: When I get up in the morning, or late at night or mid-afternoon to start my day the first thing I say to myself is I should do some tests with the " NEW " camera but then going out or doing something else ends up taking priority ...... yes, I need therapy because when I put something off to later I " DON"T JOKE AROUND " or do it half way. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud ( Call it a mental block ! ).

Won't make any promises because I hate breaking my word but I'll try to at least open the box and read the operational manual ..... again ! Those can really " demotivate "by making simple stuff seem complicated ..... maybe I'm just ignore the manual since that was probably my mistake when I bought the camera ( Which must be ancient/obsolete tech by now. Razz ).

Thanks for the encouragement but please don't " push " I get stubborn when pushed and immovable like an old mule and that lowers the odds that I will do something about it. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud Cool

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 21 Mar, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just arrived and it's really impressive and big and scarry in a good way.

Will get back to it in a few days with a review and " maybe pics " but no promises about the pics. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud

The quick version is that this is a very good buy and different from the shorter messers or falchions as it should handle more like a very long one hander.

Just as a teaser I would say that in handling it's presence feels halfway between my Huge RavenWolf sword and my Albion Tritonia or Gaddhjalt: It's far from ponderous but one must work with the mass rather than fight it to change guards but I'm not as experienced with onehanders than with longswords as far as guards or fencing techniques are concerned but it does feel easy to pivot around. Big Grin

Chris Artman

PostPosted: Mon 21 Mar, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
the OlliN falchion was based on the Thorpe falchion although their production version seem more a generic copy of the type or a very similar one than the full custom collaboration with Christian fletcher and OlliN.

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=13370&start=0

Yes, it is hanging on a custom rack in one of my rooms. I need to take some pictures of this collection one of these days. I'll get around to it once I get the mother of all mothers from a long term A&A custom project that is being worked on...

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > OlliN Falchion purchase.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic