Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Darnley's Falchion Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Darnley's Falchion         Reply with quote

This one is new to me, and it gives me a good idea for reconfiguring the Cold Steel messer. Big Grin

Looks like a horizontally recurved cross and either a globular or wheel pommel. Nice view of the scabbard chape!

Attachment: 218.9 KB
darnley.gif

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Reece Nelson

PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: cold steel messer         Reply with quote

oooooo Big Grin This'll be interesting how this will turn out Happy What time of pommel do you plan to use?
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll try the extra Alchem globular pommel I have lying around (I was wise to order two). I liked the way that turned out for the project shown below. I created a foot out of the body of the pommel. That type seems to have been common in this period and might provide just enough weight to counter the shortened CS blade. I have a cross that should work well for this, too.

The falchion shown in use by John Smith is very similar in form to Darnley's as well as some surviving 16th c. falchions. Note that his appears to have a globular pommel. This is probably the way I'll go, though it will be awhile before I get to it.

If anybody runs across similar artwork or surviving falchions please post them here!

Attachment: 168.42 KB
download.gif

Attachment: 115.68 KB
pic_virgina_a.jpg

-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Marc Bloom

PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I once saw a falchion in private hands (a Dealer) with a sheep's foot blade and the pommel was rectangular like an H1. The blade was very thick at the base and tapered continuously to the tip and was "flat ground". No scabbard. Would have looked a lot like this.
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Marc Bloom wrote:
I once saw a falchion in private hands (a Dealer) with a sheep's foot blade and the pommel was rectangular like an H1. The blade was very thick at the base and tapered continuously to the tip and was "flat ground". No scabbard. Would have looked a lot like this.

Do you recall what period it was from?

-Sean

Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a feeling that in the first picture the pommel is a disc. There is a strip of slightly darker color that I interpret as a bevel of a type H disc pommel. Of course, it might be something else and the pommel is a sphere.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the first image shows a wheel pommel, too.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the Smith falchion can be interpreted the same way, as there appears to be a rounded shape just below his hand, as if it's the raised face of such a pommel. Hey, I can do that too! What I really need to do is round up images of a variety of falchions from this period so I can get a better sense of the stylistic boundaries. Both of the examples depicted here seem to correspond to the general form of the famous Medici falchion.
-Sean

Marc Bloom

PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The dealer did not have any signs on the falchion, it had the same look as some of the big 14th cent swords that I can't point to right now since I'm at work.

The Danley looks like a type S pommel to me but it's hard to be sure.

Sean Flynt wrote:
Marc Bloom wrote:

Do you recall what period it was from?
Marc Bloom

PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

OK, it reminded me of plate 16D in The Archaeology of Weapons. Must get a copy for my nephew, pity Dover only has the original text and not the updated notes from the Barnes and Noble edition in the 90's.
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I feel safe saying the first one is a wheel and the 2nd is a ball or sphere. Look at the horizantal lines on the 2nd one. Makes it look like the artist was showing that it was round.

I don't feel the two falchions are similar at all. Not in blade, hilt or pommel. The smith sword even looks to have a double scooped false edge. The first one looks almost straight too as the 2nd has much more curve. I think the artist on the 1st one was trying to show a simple flaired hilt or a slight bowtie with a simple stepped wheel pommel maybe a type H.

Matthew Stagmer
Maker of custom and production weaponry
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
Allen Johnson

Reading list: 29 books

PostPosted: Thu 10 Mar, 2011 3:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That first pommel, looks like a wheel with a second bevel that may be giving the illusion of being globular.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Darnley's Falchion
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic