Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A Game of Thrones Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Gabriele A. Pini

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jan, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: A Game of Thrones         Reply with quote

Yes, you are not dreaming, it's a shield in a TV show, and it's not made of 5cm of Ceramite and Plasteel....

As I said in the post "Celebrities with a sword" I have high hopes for "A games of thrones": it's a fantasy atmosphere, but the magic element is very rarified (not as much as in LOTR, but there aren't streets vendor who sell real magic scrolls like D&D), and the author is very protective over his world...

Some soldiers are even wearing ill-fittings aketons...
E Sideris

PostPosted: Sun 06 Mar, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm on the EDGE OF MY SEAT waiting for this show to come out! In watching the trailers, I can confirm that, no, Eddard Stark's greatsword is not bent at the guard (in reference to a discussion under 'Celebrities with swords'), and yes, it will be unbelievably awesome.

Also, I'd like to report that in the newest installment of the production diaries, a shot from the show revealed a rack of what I'm almost sure were Albion Liechtenauers.

Does anyone else know anything about the props for the show?

I might also add that every character is portrayed uncannily as I imagined. The cast of actors is impressive, the writers really seem to understand the essence of the epic, and are working closely with George R. R. Martin (the author), which is a very wise choice. He knows what he's about.

I'm so pumped.
Robert A

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar, 2011 2:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

+1 excited fan.

I'm a little curious to find out if the "ring mail" which keeps getting mentioned in the books will be portrayed as regular maille or as ring armour. Because I'm a dork like that.
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar, 2011 2:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am looking forward to the show myself.

On another note, I am sure that if Albions were used in the movie in any way, shape, form, or fashion - we would have heard about it long before now... Laughing Out Loud

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
E Sideris

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar, 2011 4:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

JE Sarge wrote:
I am looking forward to the show myself.

On another note, I am sure that if Albions were used in the movie in any way, shape, form, or fashion - we would have heard about it long before now... Laughing Out Loud

I don't doubt you, JE, but they were pretty distinctive. I'll look again; perhaps copies. It seems House Arryn guardsmen carry beautiful swords with a type D pommel, although I can't make out if they're DSA Crecys or Ritters. I still tend to agree with you based on publicity and financial reasons, but then again, with a budget of $4.5 million per episode, anything can happen. Here's the link to House Arryn:
http://www.westeros.org/GoT/Graphics/Gallery/...ion_01.png
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Look at this, epic: http://www.westeros.org/GoT/Gallery/Entry/2221/
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is a pity that they didn't pay the same attention to detail with armour as they did with the weapons. In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing this.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is too few mail in the show but the plate looks good: http://www.westeros.org/GoT/Gallery/Entry/2089/
Tom Kinder

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just wish Martin would finish writing the next book. I have been waiting for that book for years and this show isn't helping.

I haven't seen any of the show yet and I keep telling myself that I won't watch it until Martin finishes the next book but the truth is I just don't have the ability to watch the show. if I had cable and/or was not out on patrol so often I'd likely be glued to the set watching this. I'm sure I will at least rent it from netflix when it comes out but I may buy it too.
Johan Gemvik

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think it certainly looks interesting. Although whoever got the bright idea to put a visible beige spandex bodysock on the stuntman wearing the otherwise amazingly good looking silver armour should have his a** removed. What was wrong with the black bodysocks? Lost in the dirty laundry basket? Or better yet, a modern black sweater that'll at least wrinkle right in the elbow.
Or much better, some voiders. I hear riveted aluminium maille is pretty cheap nowdays from the right places and would not weigh the actor or stuntman down much at all and have the same silvery look. Might even save him some chafes and cuts from the plates.

Keep in mind that fantasy doesn't have to be historical or even practical so it usually isn't. I'm pleasantly surprised the few times when they are good, like lots but certainly not all things in LOTR. But that ring wraith gauntlet was sweet, most swords and so where all the maille except for the real closeups. I remember hating Gimlis stupid helmet though. Maybe it houses a real steel cap with built on reliefs in leather covered plaster? That's how I got through seeing it.

Yes, that shield in the first photo sure looks great!
My brother's read this series by Martin, I haven't. So maybe I should pick it up before this releases?

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge

Last edited by Johan Gemvik on Mon 07 Mar, 2011 3:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jim Adelsen
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Me too. Great books.

Tom Kinder wrote:
I just wish Martin would finish writing the next book. I have been waiting for that book for years and this show isn't helping.

I haven't seen any of the show yet and I keep telling myself that I won't watch it until Martin finishes the next book but the truth is I just don't have the ability to watch the show. if I had cable and/or was not out on patrol so often I'd likely be glued to the set watching this. I'm sure I will at least rent it from netflix when it comes out but I may buy it too.

www.viking-shield.com
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tom Kinder wrote:

A Dance with Dragons is officially coming out 7/12/11 per ol' Martin himself.

Can't wait for the book and now I'm going to have to find someone to befriend with HBO.
Michael R. Black

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Out in July?         Reply with quote

I'm not in the habit of chastizing martin over the length of time between books. Still, based on prior experience, I'm inclined to wait until I have the book in hand before believing any publication dates.
Jason Elrod

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Out in July?         Reply with quote

Michael R. Black wrote:
I'm not in the habit of chastizing martin over the length of time between books. Still, based on prior experience, I'm inclined to wait until I have the book in hand before believing any publication dates.

Here is the count down on Martin's official site http://www.georgerrmartin.com/if-update.html

Of course he does say that he isn't exactly done with the book. Laughing Out Loud
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It will be interesting if the new book is as good as the first couple; the last one was terrible.
A. Gallo

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I pre-ordered A Dance with Dragons right after A Feast for Crows came out. I can't believe it's (supposedly) a few months away... This was my first knowledge of that.

While I hate television way too deeply to watch the HBO series, I have to admit I'm impressed with how good the casting looks so far. Ned & Tyrion look just like the depictions on en.amokanet.ru/gallery/martin/ , which in turn looked pretty close to the mental images the books gave me.
Jason Elrod

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Taylor Ellis wrote:
It will be interesting if the new book is as good as the first couple; the last one was terrible.

Agreed. A Feast for Crows was definately the worst of the bunch. The only story line that was consistantly good was Arya's. Jaime, who was quickly becoming one of the most interesting characters, was quite the bore in this one. I expected more from a Lannister Wink

Of course with Tyrion back for Dance with Dragon's how can it be anything other than good? Big Grin
Gabriele A. Pini

PostPosted: Tue 08 Mar, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A. Gallo wrote:
Ned & Tyrion look just like the depictions on en.amokanet.ru/gallery/martin/ , which in turn looked pretty close to the mental images the books gave me.

Amok....
I had been searching for ages this site. The address I had long time ago shut off (I think it was in Russia and the connection was sketching the best times)

Vale Gallo!

Six years for aDwD... I was just out of the liceo at the time!

Thought of the day:
If you die after your mission is complete, the mission is still a success
Gabriele A. Pini

PostPosted: Mon 18 Apr, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The sun of early spring (and all know that this is the best time for Como), a cup of icecream and the first episodes of A Game of Thrones. What a good afternoon!

I appreciated at first glance the helm of the hound and how it move riding... like a hound boobing is head.

I know, I know, sword behind the back and all the rest. But then, he isn't a knight, no?
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 18 Apr, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well done. They had me in the 1st scene with the wolf pups. I am already embossing some wolf head shields as we speak!
Matthew Stagmer
Maker of custom and production weaponry
Youtube.com/ThatWorks

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A Game of Thrones
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: