Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Buying First Longsword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Puck Engman

PostPosted: Sun 19 Sep, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Buying First Longsword         Reply with quote

My friend (Sebastian A. Liem) is going to buy a long sword; but he is in deep agony because he do not know which one he should buy.
So he wanted to ask in these forums but he had troubles with registration, so I will pass on his message (first posted on Sword Forum International):

Quote:

Me and some friends of my have begun training western martial art, and then more specifically Ringeck (Daniel Lindholm and Peter Svärds translation) which is a German style from early 15th century. We are especially studying the long sword techniques and it's here you guys come in, I've decided to buy a long sword, my first sword.

The long sword should be from the same period as the style, late 14th and early 15th, be able to function as a true sword and durable enough for fighting. Blunted, would be wise, so I can keep my friends and it should be, of course, historically correct. I do have a limited budget unfortunately, about $400 + freight I'm, as a poor student, willing to spend. I live in the EU, more specifically Sweden, so shopping outside the EU adds a 25% extra to the price.

I've primarily cast an eye on Albion Armorer's upcoming Squire Line Swords, the "bastard sword" looks nice. I've also looked at Armour Class' different long swords. The Armour Class swords should be approximately 25% less expensive due freight and import tax.

But I ask you of your opinion? What do you think? Oh any tip on the things I need for storage and maintenance?

Thank you for your time.

/Puck Engman
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 19 Sep, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nobody named Sebastian A. Liem has tried to register and no message has been received indicating any trouble with registration. How odd.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Robert W. Betten

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 20 Sep, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
but he had troubles with registration...

^^^ if you have troubles with registering, naturally you wouldnt show up as having had a problem...because he wouldnt be in the members database.

on topic you may also consider ATRIM to the list of possible buys...storage and maintenance will depend on what you will be doing, are you primarily dry handling with form and such or also cutting? if your cutting what will the cutting medium be? in general a nice dry spot out of the scabbard, with a nice film of oil over the blade (not a heavy coating, this can be a factor for rust to develop). I'm not big on european historical swords so others will better answer that, but with albion and atrim you couldnt possibly go wrong.

*!*
"If the people we love are taken from us,
the way they live on is to never stop loving
them. Buildings burn, people die, but real
love is forever."
- Sarah 'The Crow'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 20 Sep, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert W. Betten wrote:
Quote:
but he had troubles with registration...

^^^ if you have troubles with registering, naturally you wouldn't show up as having had a problem...because he wouldn't be in the members database.

Every reg attempt is logged, not just successful ones. Hence, it's all saved in the database.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Robert W. Betten

PostPosted: Mon 20 Sep, 2004 2:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thats a neat feature...havnt got it on other forums I've started using this software (or havnt taken note of it).
*!*
"If the people we love are taken from us,
the way they live on is to never stop loving
them. Buildings burn, people die, but real
love is forever."
- Sarah 'The Crow'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Anders Lindkvist

PostPosted: Mon 20 Sep, 2004 3:45 am    Post subject: However...         Reply with quote

We discussed this matter a time ago....check this one out....

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=2208

My blog about history, handcrafts and reenactment.
http://kurage.wordpress.com

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Buying First Longsword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic