Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New MRL Celtic Swords... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
T Franks

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: New MRL Celtic Swords...         Reply with quote

From the film, The Eagle. The hilts look interesting, but what's up with the blades?

http://www.museumreplicas.com/g-27-the-eagle.aspx
http://www.museumreplicas.com/g-27-the-eagle.aspx

For the price, i'd like em' just for the stylized hilts, but the blades are kinda Confused
Simon G.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

These have to be among the ugliest, dumbest blade designs I've ever seen. I suspect it's an attempt at giving them a "pitted/battle-worn" look, but it just makes them look like SLOs. I hope nobody buys those and Windlass moves on to less... Hollywoodian designs.

To think there are many Windlass models that are discontinued and that I would gladly buy... And they come out with this. A shame!
T Franks

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to agree about the blades. The hilts actually look somewhat close to some surviving examples, but the blades are a big turn off for me.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I actually wonder if those blades are cast from a mold instead of forged or stock removed.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
I actually wonder if those blades are cast from a mold instead of forged or stock removed.

Listed as forged, in the ad copy and with the option to be sharpened.

I'll wait for the Headless Horseman sword, if it ever appears.

Cheers

GC
T Franks

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Why are the Celtic swords in the eagle collection "battle worn", but the Roman ones are not? Laughing Out Loud
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The La Tene period only overlaps Roman incursion by a century or so. The anthromorphic hilts were not indigenous to the islands, so maybe old worn arms retained over the centuries of migration makes sense to portray them that way in film. Keep in mind also that it is just a film and the more I read about it, the less I would enjoy it as being very historically correct. Why then expect much (or less) of a movie prop?

Cheers

GC
A. Gallo

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The short sword's blade is really bad.I can't even tell what they were attempting to depict. At least the battle sword looks like its pitted/badly restored, the short sword just looks like it's made out of cheese.
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

At a glance I would've said they were some of those foam Larp weapons MRL produces...
"Tears are for the craven, prayers are for the clown.
Halters for the silly neck that cannot keep a crown.
As my loss is grievous, so my hope is small.
For Iron, Cold Iron, must be master of men all..."
-Cold Iron, Rudyard Kipling
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Simon G. wrote:
These have to be among the ugliest, dumbest blade designs I've ever seen. I suspect it's an attempt at giving them a "pitted/battle-worn" look, but it just makes them look like SLOs. I hope nobody buys those and Windlass moves on to less... Hollywoodian designs.

To think there are many Windlass models that are discontinued and that I would gladly buy... And they come out with this. A shame!

I just got an MRL catalogue in the mail - no. 114. -- the first I have seen in a long time. There were media tie-ins before, but now the catalogue is inundated with them - movie, televison, book, video. In this issue there were products (mostly costumes) for Harry Potter, Robin Hood (two separate sets), The Tudors, Braveheart, Steampunk, 300, Conan, Assassin's Creed, and Wheel of Time. I guess the stuff for The Eagle will show up in no. 115.
A. Gallo

PostPosted: Fri 18 Feb, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was about to say that it may be a good thing for the beater & wallhanger companies to focus on franchise licensing while smaller, more educated makers saturate the historical market... Especially since it seems to me like the price gap has shrunken so much.

But then I remembered how I have to forcefully forget hideous "440 Damascus" interpretations of R.E. Howard and G.R.R. Martin weapons to avoid ruining the books too...
Simon G.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 18 Feb, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Why then expect much (or less) of a movie prop?

Quote:
I was about to say that it may be a good thing for the beater & wallhanger companies to focus on franchise licensing while smaller, more educated makers saturate the historical market... Especially since it seems to me like the price gap has shrunken so much.

Well, the thing I find frustrating with Windlass - and apparently it's getting worse - is that they can actually make OK to very good products (for the price) and are also capable of erring towards something like historical accuracy... But they seem hell-bent on actually not producing weapons that are (somewhat) historically accurate or even in good taste (as these "celtic swords" would show). I mean it's as if they try to be bad. It's as infuriating as a writer who has some talent but who insists on writing cheap, cheesy "airport novels".

I suppose we're seeing the unfortunate consequences of the death of Mr. Hank Reinhardt... Back then Windlass had one educated person on board, but I guess marketing types have taken his place now.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 18 Feb, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Simon G. wrote:
I mean it's as if they try to be bad. It's as infuriating as a writer who has some talent but who insists on writing cheap, cheesy "airport novels".

Unfortunately, it's quite possible the author turns out "airport novels" because they sell well. Happy I believe that's the case here as well. What we often forget (or refuse to acknowledge) is that historical accuracy nuts are a minority of consumers. Catering just to us is bad business. Ask A&A, Albion, the Mercenary's Tailor, and other companies how lucrative catering to accuracy nuts is. (The answer: it's not) Happy Plus, many people enter this hobby through attractions to weapons seen on screen or read about in books. MRL is simply trying to be a business that makes money and is making sure they appeal to the widest audience possible. The best thing we (who cherish accuracy) can do is remember that we simply aren't the primary target audience for companies like MRL.

Quote:
I suppose we're seeing the unfortunate consequences of the death of Mr. Hank Reinhardt... Back then Windlass had one educated person on board, but I guess marketing types have taken his place now.

The reality is that Hank's close affiliation with MRL ended many years ago. His consultant role was a largely ceremonial/PR one. You can search for some of his posts here that outline that. He was frustrated with how little they asked for and heeded his advice as well as they direction they chose to go. Essentially, they made the business decision to go with profitability over accuracy.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Christopher Gregg

PostPosted: Fri 18 Feb, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey!!! They've just copied two of Jake Powning's Celtic sword reproductions, one of which is MY sword! I bought his "Little Crouching Lugh" sword back in 2003, and I can tell you, it feels like the real thing. These rip-offs do nothing to honor the Celts or Jake's work.

At least they're cheap... Sad

Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
T Franks

PostPosted: Fri 18 Feb, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher Gregg wrote:
Hey!!! They've just copied two of Jake Powning's Celtic sword reproductions, one of which is MY sword! I bought his "Little Crouching Lugh" sword back in 2003, and I can tell you, it feels like the real thing. These rip-offs do nothing to honor the Celts or Jake's work.

At least they're cheap... Sad
Well, to be fair, credit should be given to the original unknown smiths who first made these hilts. Even some of Jake's swords are reproductions of certain surviving specimens, with some personal flair added. Jake's swords & scabbards look very nice though. It must be nice to have one Cool If you look in the collections here, you can see Nate also has a nice repro of one of these very same anthro hilts that MRL offers, that is based off of a specific example. I guess what i'm trying to say is; aren't all "reproductions" copies, technically? Not just these MRL examples.
David Wilson

PostPosted: Fri 18 Feb, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As usual with MRL, disappointing. So close, and yet so far. The hilts look like fairly decent reproductions of originals, the blades look like... well, you know. The gladii are reversed; decent blades, nice scabbards, cheezy inaccurate hilts. Maybe these would make good project swords, if you wanted to put the time and effort into them...?

And leather lorica segmentata. Wow.

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
P. Cha

PostPosted: Sat 19 Feb, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You know, when those celtic swords become deal of the days and sell for 80 bucks, I think I may pick them up just for the hilts.
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Sun 20 Feb, 2011 6:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You know, without actually knowing, I'd guess these are simply the exact same designs they used as common props in the movie - which have to be cheap, easy and quick to make, and only need to look good or "right" at a distance. You'd be surprised how plain crappy most perfectly nice movie props actually look in person, especially the non-"heroic" (ie. made for close-ups) models.
"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 03 Feb, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

P. Cha wrote:
You know, when those celtic swords become deal of the days and sell for 80 bucks, I think I may pick them up just for the hilts.

The anthromorphic is the deal of the weekend. In other news, Sleepy Hollow has made it to their chart with one offering so far. http://www.museumreplicas.com/g-37-sleepy-hollow.aspx

Cheers

GC
Robert Muse

PostPosted: Fri 03 Feb, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Celtic         Reply with quote

If you want one of these, just buy the Del Tin for a few dollars more, or a used one for about the same.
Much better blade and will take a good edge with a little work. I have one, there are a few issues, but minor.

Regards
Robert

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New MRL Celtic Swords...
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: