Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Eastern Trade Assassin's Boot Dagger Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Scott Roush
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 15 Feb, 2011 2:51 am    Post subject: Eastern Trade Assassin's Boot Dagger         Reply with quote

I mentioned a dagger in my wrought iron thread... it is pretty much done other than a detail on the scabbard I'm trying to work out. This is most definitely not rooted in any kind of specific history.. but I like to think of it as a dagger concept that drifted into the Roman Empire with trade caravans from the Far East. :-) It was done on commission.

It is wrought iron/pure nickel and 1080 core.. a construct that I want to use for traditional spearheads and more period correct daggers. One of the things I like about the nickel, other than looks, is that it inhibits carbon migration from the core.

I made a mistake on this.. a tried to fuller in a 'blood groove' and the piece jumped in the vise leaving a gash that could only be repaired by grinding down... so I have two different sides now!

I apologize for the inconsistent color balance of the images.. I'm playing with some new contrast techniques and I have to find a way to calibrate. The first and last are most accurate.

Also.. Still trying to decide what to do about the copper fitting on the scabbard..

http://www.bigrockforge.com
Isaac H.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Tue 15 Feb, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow! This has got to be one of the most awesome knives Iv'e ever seen! Big Grin Eek! Cool It is so unique.I really like your use of copper on the piece.Anyone (assasin or not )would be proud to own such an exquisitly crafted weapon.By the way,what type of wood did you use for the handle and sheath?It looks a little exotic and blends very well with the overall look of the dagger.
Wounds of flesh a surgeons skill may heal...

But wounded honor is only cured with steel.

We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves.
Each of us should please his neighbor for his good ,to build him up.
Romans 15:1-2
Scott Roush
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 15 Feb, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi there,

Thanks for the nice compliment!

That wood is Claro walnut... A type found in Northern California. This knife was made in trade for a King's Ransom in wood like this from Mark Farley at Burl Source. You should see the other stuff I got..

Thanks again..

Kevin Rolly

PostPosted: Wed 16 Feb, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Eastern Trade Assassin's Boot Dagger         Reply with quote

Scott Roush wrote:

I apologize for the inconsistent color balance of the images.. I'm playing with some new contrast techniques and I have to find a way to calibrate. The first and last are most accurate.

Also.. Still trying to decide what to do about the copper fitting on the scabbard..

Gorgeous work....

As for color balance, shoot a chip chart at the beginning or at least a gray or white card to set you balance. Do all of your contrast and filter adjustments first, then do you final color balance last.

Regardless, the piece and the shots are tremendous.

-Kevissimo
Scott Roush
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 16 Feb, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Kevin... Normally, using auto white balance and shooting in RAW I don't have any problems... but when I do a contrast overlay it throws everything so out of whack, it's hard to get back. I always use a grey card when I take the actual exposure...

But it may be that I'm not understanding... I haven't heard of a chip chart....

Thanks for the compliments though!

Kevin Rolly

PostPosted: Wed 16 Feb, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Roush wrote:
Thanks Kevin... Normally, using auto white balance and shooting in RAW I don't have any problems... but when I do a contrast overlay it throws everything so out of whack, it's hard to get back. I always use a grey card when I take the actual exposure...

But it may be that I'm not understanding... I haven't heard of a chip chart....

Thanks for the compliments though!

My pleasure. A chip chart is basically an (overpriced) card of all of your standard colors (RGB and CMYK) and grayscale. The way you are shooting is solid. Gray card is fine. Where things shift is when you start making your adjustments. As you add contrast your colors can shift depending on what part of the exposure curve is getting adjusted.

Not to drag this off into Photo Land, but that's actually how I arrived at the forum...and basically one of the few areas where I can contribute anything. Since I'm now beginning to venture into the DIY arena for a series I'm shooting, I have been fastidiously studying and admiring the work that true bladesmiths like yourself are doing here.

We are not far from setting up our own forge on this end in LA....So hopefully I'll soon have more to contribute to these forums other than "Hey, what's this?"

Again....much admiration for your work....

-Kevissimo
J.E. Sweeney

PostPosted: Wed 16 Feb, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

is this available? i dont see it on your site but am very interested.
- JESW
Scott Roush
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb, 2011 3:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi,

That one was done on commission, but I've gotten a few other requests so I will be welding up more billets over the next couple of weeks. So we could arrange an order if you like.

I would do something like pictured for $450 with the copper habaki/wrought iron guard combo and wooden scabbard.

I would do something similar without the habaki for $400. I would suggest a copper or brass ferrule wrap with some wire. I'm doing a small deba knife with that and it would look incredible on the dagger. Or we can come up with a whole new design! If you are interested, email me and I can show you the picture of the knife with the copper wrap... it should be complete today.

Thanks Kevin.. it would be interesting to learn more about the series you are shooting...

Kevin Rolly

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb, 2011 4:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Roush wrote:

Thanks Kevin.. it would be interesting to learn more about the series you are shooting...

Thanks for asking. Actually I'm doing an a 60+ panel painted photographic series of the Old Testament book of Judges. A time just when the iron age was coming into existence. Though my interest in swords has been with me since childhood, it's taken on a more serious depth doing research and acquiring the weapons for this. Now I'm hooked....(I just got my Hanwei bastard sword as my bday present to myself...) but anyways.....

Though I have a grant, I'm working on a budget. I can't be getting $1000 weapons for every character, so I've had to relay on replicas that work for camera. But I've now had the desire to craft character weapons for each of the main characters. ideally I would like these to be fully functional, historically accurate pieces, but I have to do what is right for emotional impact. A couple of the weapons will be completely character based and not historically based. But this really is a massive endeavor.

This is one of the early pieces I did in 2007. It's Shamgar who killed 600 Philistines with an Ox-goad (which was no more than a farming implement)

SHAMGAR AND THE OX-GOAD

The works are made by photographing the characters on traditional film, printing them in the darkroom and mounting them to wooden panels. The rest is oil paint. I paint in the backgrounds and other elements. Samson is the one whose going to be a challenge....

Anyways, that may be more than you asked for, but this is the journey that led me here....

-Kevissimo
Scott Roush
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 19 Feb, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

awesome photo Kevin.....

I just re-read what I wrote above in the first post and realized... I didn't mean to imply that the nickel/wrought iron combo would be period correct... I meant that I wanted to use that construct to forge profiles that would have occurred... obviously nickel wasn't a choice for early smiths!

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Eastern Trade Assassin's Boot Dagger
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic