Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Forged in Time Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
James Cunniffe

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jan, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Forged in Time         Reply with quote

Hi to all

I just came across this site www.forgedintime.com .I was looking at there work and it looks real good ,I am most interested in there Windblade longsword if anyone has dealt with or has any information for me about there swords that would be great. Thanks James

Though the pen is mightier than the sword,
the sword speaks louder and stronger at any given moment.
James Cunniffe

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jan, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Any info on the quality of these swords would be great ,,anyone????
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jan, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting, I thought I had searched out every sword-maker's web site in the world, but I also missed this one. There's no mention in 'Spirit of the Sword' (although that doesn't mean much, given that they missed A&A). His name (Benjamin Rial) does not turn up on a myArmoury search.

Its very interesting that he hand forges and aims for historically accurace sharp swords at a meaty middle price (in the 500s). Not many people in North America are working in that range (Darksword Armoury hand forges heavier re-enactment type blades, Valiant Armoury outsources its hand forged blades). The stats provided look good. The pictures are not very good, in fact some are just drawings, making it hard to judge. But at first glance I did not notice anything wrong (although he's mainly into late medieval longswords, which are not my forte). He presents himself as being serious and knowledgeable and having been around for a long time. So why isn't he more famous???

I'm also conservative about ordering swords from people I don't know, unless I've seen great reviews, great pictures, and independent statistics, I prefer to see and handle before I buy. I hope some people can fill us in more on this interesting fellow.
James Cunniffe

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jan, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree J.D. I too cant understand how no one ever heard of this swordsmith and he makes some very good stuff. I have emailed him and he did reply very fast and was very helpful with all my questions .I am pretty sure I am going to buy the Windblade off him it looks like a very fine sword. He said it take 4 to 6 weeks for a sword to ship and also if i wanted changes on the sword i.e. guard ,pommel type that there are no extra charge, which I think is a great deal also the pommels are hot penned.
Simon G.

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jan, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Guys, have you seen this review of a piece by (apparently) this same "Forged in Time" maker?

http://www.ramanon.com/forum/showthread.php?8...het-review

Not a sword, however, but a smatchet. Looks quite good.

EDIT :

Quote:
if i wanted changes on the sword i.e. guard ,pommel type that there are no extra charge, which I think is a great deal

That is interesting. I like makers ready to do "semi-custom" work for no additional charge, it's a great way to have personalised swords at a small price. I will watch this "Forged in Time" closely & hope you soon give us a review of the Windblade, James! Wink
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jan, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James Cunniffe wrote:
I agree J.D. I too cant understand how no one ever heard of this swordsmith and he makes some very good stuff. I have emailed him and he did reply very fast and was very helpful with all my questions .I am pretty sure I am going to buy the Windblade off him it looks like a very fine sword. He said it take 4 to 6 weeks for a sword to ship and also if i wanted changes on the sword i.e. guard ,pommel type that there are no extra charge, which I think is a great deal also the pommels are hot penned.

Well, if and when you do get it, it would be a community service to post a review and some pictures here. I'm curious to see what you get. -JD
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jan, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with Simon and J.D. that you should write a review once/if you've bought the sword. It would be a great service to the myArmoury community and very appreciated I'm sure. Happy
"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women; thus your honor will grow. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honor in wars." -Johannes Liechtenauer

"...And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one..." Luke 22:36
Philip Melhop

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jan, 2011 2:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmmm, nice reviews even though it only vaugely resembles a Smatchet
here are two, the upper one from Paul MacDonald in Edinburgh, the other by Boker

The Forged in Time version looks like a composite of the Smachet and Fairsword
Fairsword picture off the net

That said, the workmanship looks pretty good.
Phil
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jan, 2011 4:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just an observation regarding his site and wares. The photos do make it hard to see much detail in his work and the fact that some of the illustrations appear to be drawings is a bit of a concern. Also, I have seen very few smiths who are turning out such a huge variety of blades. In looking through his site I found a Scottish dirk. The dirk is made from a blade and fittings which used to be available from Track of the Wolf and a couple of other outlets. IOW it is not hand-forged. I have a dirk made from those components and the fittings and blade are identical to the one on the site.

I am not being critical, in fact what I viewed on the site looked pretty good. However I suspect that some of his work uses mass-produced blades. If he says that on his site and I missed it then I certainly stand corrected.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Benjamin Rial

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jan, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey guys, I posted my response over in the maker forum to comply with the rules. It can be found under "Forged In Time".
I will do my best to address your questions.

"The only thing new in this world is the history we don't know."-Pres. Harry S. Truman

www.forgedintime.com

Vel Arte, Vel Marte
David Jasper

PostPosted: Fri 29 Nov, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Forged in Time Rip Off         Reply with quote

Hi All,

Just wanted to put my 2 cents in on my experience with Forged In Time. I ordered a knife back in March of 2013, and waited the 6 months that I was told it would take to make. I wasn't told this until I paid for the knife. But oh well.. A hand made knife is worth the wait if it is high quality. So far, I haven't received the knife. I was told that it had been shipped but magically disappeared. I asked for the tracking number, but the owner wouldn't give it. He said he had another that he would send out within the week. This was a month ago.
What I see from this person is that he lies, doesn't respond to problems, and I am thinking doesn't really operate a sword and knife making company. I think he just takes the money and runs.
So beware of this guy. From my experience, he is a crook.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Fri 29 Nov, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Many of the swords from your site look like customized Hanwei Tinker swords, Benjamin. The site doesn't say that, but it would be fair to say it if it is the case.
Daniel Sullivan

PostPosted: Fri 29 Nov, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Forged in Time         Reply with quote

Just to fan the flames a bit .... One of the attached photos is from Forged in Time, the other is from MR Ltd, (Windlass) Note the blemishes in the leather, background, etc. In my opinion it is the same photo.

Regards,
Dan
Tom King

PostPosted: Sat 30 Nov, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Forged in Time         Reply with quote

Daniel Sullivan wrote:
Just to fan the flames a bit .... One of the attached photos is from Forged in Time, the other is from MR Ltd, (Windlass) Note the blemishes in the leather, background, etc. In my opinion it is the same photo.

Regards,
Dan

There is an incredibly obvious reason for that: he is a reseller of just about every brand on the market. His custom work is pretty easy to differentiate, seeing how they are not under the submenu "windlass" or "Hanwei".

I think we are growing to fond of scandal in this community.

Attachment: 104.92 KB
seriously guys, not everyone is DSA.jpg

Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sat 30 Nov, 2013 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Forged in Time         Reply with quote

Tom King wrote:
Daniel Sullivan wrote:

Regards,
Dan

There is an incredibly obvious reason for that: he is a reseller of just about every brand on the market. His custom work is pretty easy to differentiate, seeing how they are not under the submenu "windlass" or "Hanwei".

I think we are growing to fond of scandal in this community.

Yet, once bit, twice shy and despite someone not knowing how to read a site; it is apparent the seller/maker may have some issues in delivery. How many chances should any vendor or maker get. I see the sword community at large as lot more forgiving than they really should be and all I can say in the end is I will not ever knowingly give a vendor or maker a second chance if the product or similar service/commission can be had from another source. That applies to custom and customized work as well. Call me jaded and overly cautious. I hate to laugh up my sleeve over some of the issues prevalent over the decades of lack in fulfillment by the sources and even the quality then supplied (if ever), so it may be better to disregard my thoughts entirely but I know I don't much like accepting second chances even if just opinion.

Cheers

GC
Daniel Sullivan

PostPosted: Sat 30 Nov, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Forged in Time         Reply with quote

Tom,

Thanks .... You are correct. Occasionally I have a very firm grasp on the obvious! Didn't fully scan the site, had I done so I would not have posted the photos.

You may also be right about "fond of scandal" as things could get a bit out of hand; however I like the idea that we tend to look out for fellow practitioners.

Cheers,
Dan
Tom King

PostPosted: Sat 30 Nov, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Forged in Time         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:

Yet, once bit, twice shy and despite someone not knowing how to read a site; it is apparent the seller/maker may have some issues in delivery. How many chances should any vendor or maker get. I see the sword community at large as lot more forgiving than they really should be and all I can say in the end is I will not ever knowingly give a vendor or maker a second chance if the product or similar service/commission can be had from another source. That applies to custom and customized work as well. Call me jaded and overly cautious. I hate to laugh up my sleeve over some of the issues prevalent over the decades of lack in fulfillment by the sources and even the quality then supplied (if ever), so it may be better to disregard my thoughts entirely but I know I don't much like accepting second chances even if just opinion.

Cheers

GC

Seeing as someone resurrected this thread from 2011 to rightly or wrongly slander/call into question this maker, I take it with a grain of salt. In the same way several fanboyish 1 post accounts appeared during the DSA debacle a month or so back, I'll take the rather positive reviews of this makers product (this years $50 custom hatchet thread and others, where people received product and were happy with the quality and service comes to mind) over a single claim of impropriety repeatedly posted by the same person.

Now could the maker have dropped the ball and behaved as a malicious crook? "Maybe". Could USPS have lost a package? Maybe. Could we only have one side of the story? Yes, and I don't expect the maker to drag his dirty laundry out to quell the only negative feedback I've ever seen about his product. Makers that do such usually don't have a reputation for long if they go after every person that has a bad review, rightly or wrongly.
David Jasper

PostPosted: Sat 30 Nov, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to Tom King         Reply with quote

Sir,

I generally do not go around giving bad reviews, so your inference that I am slandering without cause is insulting. However, I will respond with this. I have been trying to get resolution from Forged In Time for months with no luck. I have been getting the run around and now lack of communication. So it would appear to me that the individual that runs the site is not going to live up to his obligation. This gives hard working knife and sword smiths a very bad name and potentially will harm their business. That is something that I would not like to see, as there are many reputable individuals out there trying to ply their craft to feed their families.
Now if the individual in question had continued communication, and gotten me my knife, there would have been no issue. Even if he said it would take months more there would have been no problem. But to lie and then stop communicating altogether, that smacks of dishonesty.

Also, I posted my experience in 2 places as I didn't know which one would be most appropriate. I am not attempting to slander anyone, just trying to let people know one mans experience. Which I think I am entitled to do.
If hearing of a bad experience with your hero shatters your view of the world, I apologize. However, it doesn't make it any less true.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sat 30 Nov, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Forged in Time         Reply with quote

Tom King wrote:
Glen A Cleeton wrote:

Cheers

GC

Seeing as someone resurrected this thread from 2011 to rightly or wrongly slander/call into question this maker, I take it with a grain of salt. In the same way several fanboyish 1 post accounts appeared during the DSA debacle a month or so back, I'll take the rather positive reviews of this makers product (this years $50 custom hatchet thread and others, where people received product and were happy with the quality and service comes to mind) over a single claim of impropriety repeatedly posted by the same person.

Now could the maker have dropped the ball and behaved as a malicious crook? "Maybe". Could USPS have lost a package? Maybe. Could we only have one side of the story? Yes, and I don't expect the maker to drag his dirty laundry out to quell the only negative feedback I've ever seen about his product. Makers that do such usually don't have a reputation for long if they go after every person that has a bad review, rightly or wrongly.

Hi Tom

My reply in this thread was of a very general note and not specific at all to this particular maker/vendor. Believe me, I am well aware of all the possibilities and anyone that has spent a few months on bladed forums will see similar instances and problems. I have to assume you might be aware of other venues (particularly Blade Forums) where dirty laundry is indeed a major topic area for resolution or even just venting.

I am probably on the "don't deal with him at all" list of a great many (even notable) makers and vendors as a pariah of sorts. On the other hand, have had a first hand responsibility to allow the grace of several that have fallen from favor only to see them excused time and again to take money for goods of the "future". How often can one underline "don't buy unless it is in stock" as the best one can offer of a problem source. How much time should (even a moderator) spend on playing to a crowd as a mediator? I have had my share of it, way too much of both.

Please make no mistake in equating DSA with any other single entity. I am not sure which "debacle" you are referring to but my laughing up my sleeve might be one instance of correlation I can relate to. That company is simply just laughable to me (believe me, I can only view them in great humor).

Again, my reply quite general and as with the last line in my first reply my thoughts of little consequence aside from a caveat emptor that echoes through the halls of virtually any forum dealing with the exchange of money.

Happy Holidays

GC
J. Hargis

PostPosted: Sun 01 Dec, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Forged in Time Rip Off         Reply with quote

David Jasper wrote:
Hi All,

Just wanted to put my 2 cents in on my experience with Forged In Time. I ordered a knife back in March of 2013, and waited the 6 months that I was told it would take to make. I wasn't told this until I paid for the knife. But oh well.. A hand made knife is worth the wait if it is high quality. So far, I haven't received the knife. I was told that it had been shipped but magically disappeared. I asked for the tracking number, but the owner wouldn't give it. He said he had another that he would send out within the week. This was a month ago.
What I see from this person is that he lies, doesn't respond to problems, and I am thinking doesn't really operate a sword and knife making company. I think he just takes the money and runs.
So beware of this guy. From my experience, he is a crook.

Sorry to hear about this, David. My experience with Ben has been positive. Yes, he does take some time, but I have always received timely responses to my inquiries and always received my orders. Ben has always behaved in a gentlemanly manner with me, so I'm a somewhat taken aback here. I certainly hope that nothing of serious negative consequences has occurred in Ben's life. Thank you.

Jon

A poorly maintained weapon is likely to belong to an unsafe and careless fighter.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Forged in Time
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: