The Instant Antique
A featured article by Sean A. Flynt

[ Linked Image ]
Arms & Armor English Loop-hilt Smallsword
A hands-on review by Stephen Fisher

[ Linked Image ]
Albion's Next Generation Duke Sword
A hands-on review by Chad Arnow

As always, you can see our Complete History of Updates listed right from our home page.
Just a quick thanks to Sean Flynt, Nathan and myArmoury for another great article. Yet, another plus
for what is already,IMO, the best resource for arms& armour enthusiasts of all levels of interest.

Bill
aka William
Quote:
I'd like to thank the Academy and all the little people...
I promise not to go a-rieving and I SWEAR I won't antique this one!

Is it just me or did you ...??? :eek: :D

Ah, the incurable tinkerers :lol:
Oh, I did, I did! Can y'all ever forgive me? I knew somebody would mention this but here's my excuse....I asked ElJay for some additional info about the weapon and, without a word from me, he encouraged me to experiment with antiquing the piece. So, with it's daddy's approval, I figured it was OK. Plus, something about the post-production black finish started to react with the brazing of the pommel to create a white crusty substance. So I felt the finish had to come off anyway. I just rubbed the hilt with steel wool and initially got bright steel highlights over black recessed areas and the finish was a dead ringer for the classic "black & white" armours of the era. Went ahead and cleaned it all off, though, and I'm pleased with the result (as is ElJay, by the way!) I still haven't gone a-rievin', though. Love the piece. It might have been an unusual blade choice ca. 1560, but not out of the question.
I'm eager to see any projects completed or any plans to start projects using the techniques described in Sean's article
Nathan Robinson wrote:
I'm eager to see any projects completed or any plans to start projects using the techniques described in Sean's article

Agreed! I love to see people's home projects. It's inspiring, for one, and it's great to see the usual production swords in a new light.
Thinking Sean has seen this but, here's a brass swept hilt I did a month or so back.

Bill

Attachment: 80.1 KB
acid etch swept hilt.jpg

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: