Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Current Reproduction Bascinets Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ian S LaSpina

Reading list: 5 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jan, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Current Reproduction Bascinets         Reply with quote

I've slowly been trying to put together an impression of a late 14th century knight and I'm having a lot of trouble finding a quality houndskull bascinet reproduction. I'm trying to find one that is close to historical dimensions. An overwhelming majority of the ones I find out there though, are of bizarre proportions or seem to be designed for people with giant heads (and hey, they need protection too Happy ) But alas, I have neither a giant head, or a desire for a clearly incorrect looking bascinet. I've seen lots of the folks in WMA and AEMMA groups have great looking ones, so I know they're out there somewhere.

Now, at the high end of the spectrum, there is of course this beautiful reproduction by Jeff Hedgecock, and I'm totally in love with this helmet, but it's definitely at the higher end of my price range:
http://historicenterprises.com/bascinet-after...th=101_137

Of all the mid-rangy priced bascinets, I've found this one, and I was wondering if the more knowledgeable folks could comment on the historical accuracy of it's shape:
http://armstreet.com/store/armor/medieval-hea...-sca-14-ga

That one comes with aventail installed, which is a nice plus. I realize the mail itself is not flattened ring, wedge-riveted, but that is something I could change over time. Armstreet also has an ebay store with quite a bit of positive feedback, which is nice to see. In my research I've found lots of armorer's with problems in the communication and delivery departments, and I'm trying to avoid that headache.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Late 14th century, historical lines, houndksull bascinet is the end goal. Any help getting there would be wonderful!

-Ian
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jan, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, the shape is fine, it just doesn't have enough verveilles.

What do you intend to use it for? Living History presentations, HEMA training, re-enactment fighting, baton combat? Is it in your price range? This is a very inexpensive helmet for the type. Make sure it is the right thickness and that the visor to skull fit is appropriate for your intended use.
Ian S LaSpina

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jan, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I intend to use it for re-enactment purposes, but eventually HEMA training (i.e., I would prefer this investment not close me off to that possibility). I guess my mid-range price point would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $600 - $700 USD. I'm willing to go over or under as opportunity presents, but I'm just struggling to find anything at this point. Historical proportion is important to me, as is functionality.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest
"Monsters are dangerous, and just now Kings are dying like flies..."
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jan, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ian S LaSpina wrote:
I intend to use it for re-enactment purposes, but eventually HEMA training (i.e., I would prefer this investment not close me off to that possibility). I guess my mid-range price point would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $600 - $700 USD. I'm willing to go over or under as opportunity presents, but I'm just struggling to find anything at this point. Historical proportion is important to me, as is functionality.

Have you spoken with the folks at Best Armour? Their bascinets are in your price range, (some) appear to have proper proportions and I've heard good comments on their workmanship and flexibility. I must say that I've never purchased from them myself. I applaud your dedication to historical proportions as this was a factor that I had to overlook when purchasing my bascinet for SCA rattan combat purposes. We're required to have such thick steel and padding that it never looks "just right".

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Christian G. Cameron

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Fri 28 Jan, 2011 4:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://www.fabri-armorum.com/english/

My group has three helmets from Jiri, all excellent, all well fitted, and all affordable. Communications can be difficult, but by no means impossible, and the turn around time is splendid, as well as the final product. Authenticity is high average or better (fabricated not raised, some small details like buckle types) but really very good set against what else is out there at the price point.

Christian G. Cameron

Qui plus fait, miex vault

www.hippeis.com
Anders Jansson

PostPosted: Fri 28 Jan, 2011 5:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to give Albert Collins in Viaarmorari ( www.viaarmorari.com ) some good creds. His work is stunning. I have som pieces from him. I own a copy of the Lyle Bascinet (ratl iv 470 ) and it's hard to se the diferenc between my and the original... If I only was able to buy armour once this lifetime it would be by him.

I know many more that is happy with his works...

Hope this will give you some help.
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Fri 28 Jan, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ian S LaSpina wrote:

Any of the Eastern European armourers should be able to work with that figure. They tend to make stuff for your stated purpose. I've been impressed by the stuff offered through Willy Trambone on the AA. I think he fronts for an armourer without English language skills, very good rep for delivery.

Good Hunting!
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 28 Jan, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christian G. Cameron wrote:
http://www.fabri-armorum.com/english/

My group has three helmets from Jiri, all excellent, all well fitted, and all affordable. Communications can be difficult, but by no means impossible, and the turn around time is splendid, as well as the final product. Authenticity is high average or better (fabricated not raised, some small details like buckle types) but really very good set against what else is out there at the price point.

Those training helmets are quite nice!

Christian, have you done anything with his fencing swords?

http://fabri-armorum.com/english/?id=sport-sword.php

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild
www.chicagoswordplayguild.com

www.freelanceacademypress.com
James Arlen Gillaspie
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 28 Jan, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The vast majority of surviving bacinets (I can't seem to help using the French spelling) have very large skulls with a lot of crush space in the top and are almost as wide as they are long. Most modern bacinets look microcephalic compared to the real ones, because the visor is out of proportion to the skull.
jamesarlen.com
Martin Versch

PostPosted: Thu 03 Feb, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James Arlen Gillaspie wrote:
The vast majority of surviving bacinets (I can't seem to help using the French spelling) have very large skulls with a lot of crush space in the top and are almost as wide as they are long. Most modern bacinets look microcephalic compared to the real ones, because the visor is out of proportion to the skull.

Travelling to Ukraine I've purchased this bascinet from ArmStreet with extremely cheap local delivery
and pretty happy with it
http://armstreet.com/store/armor/medieval-ita...teel-armor

Mine one is wider then one represented at picture and may be even a bit larger then I like. Definitely not microcephalic.
I think it depends on local fighting rules. In Ukraine they have pretty realistic rebated steel battles so their helmets are larger then it's typical for lighter styles. I'm thinking about new armor set and considering Ukrainian armouries as serious alternative to local craftsmen as their prices are great and delivery to Europe is reasonable
Ian S LaSpina

PostPosted: Thu 03 Feb, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Martin Versch wrote:
James Arlen Gillaspie wrote:

Travelling to Ukraine I've purchased this bascinet from ArmStreet with extremely cheap local delivery
and pretty happy with it
http://armstreet.com/store/armor/medieval-ita...teel-armor

Mine one is wider then one represented at picture and may be even a bit larger then I like. Definitely not microcephalic.
I think it depends on local fighting rules. In Ukraine they have pretty realistic rebated steel battles so their helmets are larger then it's typical for lighter styles. I'm thinking about new armor set and considering Ukrainian armouries as serious alternative to local craftsmen as their prices are great and delivery to Europe is reasonable

I've been in contact with Mikael at armstreet over the last week and he's been very accommodating with me. Came across as very reliable from the folks at AA. Someone above mentioned the fact that there are too few verveilles on his helmets and Mikael agreed to double the number of verveilles on the helmet for a very small price increase. I think I'm going to give it a go, with the plans to still save up for a Hedgecock bascinet in the future, as I just dont know if I have the heart to let anyone strike anything Jeff Hedgecock make's because they're just too beautiful.

My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest
"Monsters are dangerous, and just now Kings are dying like flies..."
N Cioran

PostPosted: Thu 03 Feb, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a Jeffrey Hedgecock barbute, and I let people try to hit it all the time. My own noggin is far more important Wink

Cole

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Current Reproduction Bascinets
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic