Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Japanese Metalworking class by Patrick Hastings Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Richard Furrer
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 10 Dec, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Japanese Metalworking class by Patrick Hastings         Reply with quote

Hello All,
I am pleased to announce a five day class taught by Patrick Hastings on traditional Japanese metalworking.
The class will be hosted by Ric Furrer at his shop in beautiful Sturgeon Bay, WI
http://doorcountyforgeworks.com/2011_Class_Schedule.html

The class description is below and do have a look at Patrick's website to view what can be created with these techniques:
http://www.taganearts.com/

Ric

Japanese Metalworking Techniques with Patrick Hastings
Patrick Hastings of Tagane Arts has agreed to teach a five day class on Japanese Metalworking techniques.
This is a “hands on” class.
April 11-15

Class is limited to six (6) students (minimum of four registered to run)
Class is open to all skill levels, from beginner to advanced. The main requirement is a love of Japanese Metalwork.
$750
Five Day Course
Japanese metal Working techniques with Patrick Hastings

This class is an introduction to Classical Japanese Decorative Metalwork. The techniques you will learn are well suited to soft iron/steels as well as copper,silver, gold and other traditional alloys.
Mr. Hastings will demonstrate a selection of traditional techniques and then guide you through those techniques as you try them yourself.

An essential skill in this art-form is the creation and maintenance of your own tooling. Any given project may require new tools and on the first day Patrick will discuss the manufacture and design of the various Tagane tools. You will learn how to shape and sharpen the specialized Tagane such as the "Katakiri" chisel, "Shishiaibori" chisel and inlay punches. You will be making a "Hisage" scraper which is integral to Japanese metal carving. All the steel blanks for these tools are included in the price of the class and you will acquire not only the knowledge to make more, but will have a basic tool kit of your own at class end to take to your own shops.

You will test and tune your tooling on a smooth sheet of metal mounted in "Matsuyani" (Japanese Pitch). Patrick will introduce you to "Katakiri-bori" (Broad Stroke Engraving), a unique form of engraving which expresses line in a similar fashion as Japanese Ink painting. This is an amazing technique and a wonderful way to get familiar with how tagane are used.

From there Patrick will introduce you to "Ten Zogon" (Dot Inlay), "Hira Zogon" (Flush Inlay), "Taka Zogon" (Raised Inlay) and finally a technique of relief carving of the raised inlay. All of these techniques can be combined and mixed to created a wonderfully wide range of effects.

A note from Patrick:
"I love to teach and I am really looking forward to this class. I know it will be a lot of fun for all of us.
Feel free to email with questions"
TAGANE ARTS bladefittings@earthlink.net
http://www.taganearts.com/

Ric Furrer
Sturgeon Bay, WI
www.doorcountyforgeworks.com
Richard Furrer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jan, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Class is now Full

Ric

Ric Furrer
Sturgeon Bay, WI
www.doorcountyforgeworks.com
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jan, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats. I hope to get my production line of weaponry stream lined enough that I can start taking more trips and doing more classes like this. I often host such things but I still have much to learn and Mr Hastings is on my list.

Maybe next year.

Matthew Stagmer
Maker of custom and production weaponry
Youtube.com/ThatWorks

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Japanese Metalworking class by Patrick Hastings
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic