Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Patern Welded Seax (progress pics) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
J Helmes
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 21 Jan, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Patern Welded Seax (progress pics)         Reply with quote

Hi here are a few pics of a seax i'm currently working on. The blade is 17" long and made from wrought and steel salvaged from a very old buggy spring. It has a 7 layer spine that has been sandwiched between two pieces of iron, then the edge was welded on. The wrought in the twisted spine was cooked briefly in bone meal turning it slightly white. The pommel is made from bronze sheet that was forged to shape then wrapped around a wooden core. The ends of these bronze parts will later be capped top and bottom. The final pommel piece will be cast. There are also further images of this seax on me facebook page . Cheers Jeff

Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jan, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now that there is a beauty, I have a thing for just bare blades.... Link to your facebook so I add?
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Sat 22 Jan, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: seax         Reply with quote

Nice ! I am curious about the mention of the old buggy spring. Does this make any difference in the result?
Bon coeur et bon bras
Perry L. Goss

PostPosted: Sat 22 Jan, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Bone meal process         Reply with quote

Ah, nice blade! Like it. I also like the other sax that is more utilitarian that someone posted.

Anway.

Can you share with us the process on the bone meal? Effects, problems etc. I would never want to cook in bone meal, but the general knowledge advancement is good, ya!?

I know that for high dollar, historical reproduction firearms they use bone meal to color, rather than chemicals. And it ain't cheap!

Thank you

Scottish: Ballentine, Black, Cameron, Chisholm, Cunningham, Crawford, Grant, Jaffray, MacFarlane, MacGillivray, MacKay-Reay/Strathnaver, Munro, Robertson, Sinclair, Wallace

Irish/Welsh: Bodkin, Mendenhall, Hackworth

Swiss: Goss von Rothenfluh, Naff von Zurich und Solland von Appenzel
J Helmes
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 22 Jan, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the interest folks!

Jean-Carle Hudon- I use the old buggy springs as the old ones were made from shear steel, which is a form of carburised wrought iron similar in effect and looks as well refined period steel. It is essentially 1060-1080. It is a real joy to use it welds like a dream and is very forgiving.

Perry L. Goss The wrought was cooked in bonemeal as part of an experiment. I was attempting to add Phosphorous to the iron. Early pattern welded cores in northern European blades sometimes combined two kinds of iron plain iron and phosphorous rich iron. phos generally does very little in the way of good as an additive to iron. here is an interesting bit on high phos iron http://forums.dfoggknives.com/index.php?showtopic=14395&st=0
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jan, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: old steel         Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, a few years back I saved the metal trim off an old wagon wheel from a barn which was being demolished, so if ever you're driving by St-Sulpice, Quebec don't be shy...
Bon coeur et bon bras
Josh Maxwell

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jan, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Patern Welded Seax (progress pics)         Reply with quote

J Helmes wrote:

Crocs in the shop huh?
J Helmes
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jan, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a pic of the leather covered handle. I just need to cast the rivet block and it's done.
Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jan, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jeff, Crocs in the shop or not, you did a wonderful job on the seax! If you keep experimenting and pushing the envelope you are either going to leave us other makers behind or keep pushing us to keep at it. Either way rock on, you are doing excellent work and look forward to where you go from here.

Best!
Michael

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Patern Welded Seax (progress pics)
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic