Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > A few projects searching for a patron Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 20 Jan, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: A few projects searching for a patron         Reply with quote

Happy 2011!

I have been chugging away at some commissions as of late and they have been coming along slow, but well, unfortunately it doesn't leave me much time to work on projects that have been started without a patron, or ones that were canceled for one reason or another. So I am shamelessly posting my collection of "I'd love to finish these if I had the time" collection, as well as link up two pieces that are completed, although they have been posted prior to.

For the items which already have been introduced, the +Ulfberht+ blade, this is still the most successful attempt to date, I don't feel the flaws take away from the piece, and while it is pretty and too clean, well that is just the way I like to roll. Here is a link to the original thread : http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...highlight= All I have left is to give it two to three days of hand rubbing and I can ship, if you are looking for fittings drop me a PM and we can take things from there.
ASKING $1300 for just the blade

The large seax, while the scabbard is nothing fancy, the blade is truly amazing, everyone that has held it so far has loved it! It really gives you a feeling "must, cut, now" Here is the link to the original thread : http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...highlight= And while it was sitting around, a little sister was born to the seax, no scabbard, but gripped to match.

Seaxes have been sold

As the other items were not introduced I will post each as an individual post to try to keep things "clean" New offers include a lugged spear, pattern welded seax, and a falchion,

Attachment: 100.33 KB
Ulf.jpg

Attachment: 76 KB
Seaxgrip.jpg

Attachment: 39.11 KB
SeaxOA.jpg

Attachment: 49.92 KB
New.jpg

Last edited by Michael Pikula on Tue 25 Jan, 2011 7:20 am; edited 3 times in total
Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jan, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This falchion has been a lingering "passion project" of mine, the overall design and proportions have been borrowed from the van der Weydens St John Altarpiece. ( http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...t=falchion ) The blade is forged from W2, water quenched, and has the telling signs of a really neat hamon. The pommel is forged, as is the guard, the flor de lis have been cut out by hand, filed to shape, and welded to the guard, the blade is crazy fast and smooth in the hand, think big fillet knife. Here are some specs on the blade, as it sits now

Blade length : 22.125"
Blade width at shoulder : 2"
Weight with hilt components : 2lb. 3oz.
POB : 3" forward of guard

There are several options for the completion of this piece which will effect the price including:
Do you want the hamon exposed, or leave it natural?
What type of grip?
How long of a grip?

I wanted to do something special with this piece, so I am open to going a bit above and beyond if a patron is interested in taking on the completion. I am looking at about a weeks worth of work to get this piece finished, without the exposure of the hamon, and a straight forward grip.

I've started working out the finishing details with a patron on the falchion, it is no longer available at this time.

Other details can be discussed and may change the price, please get in touch for more details.

Attachment: 82.51 KB
fac.jpg

Attachment: 30.36 KB
faloa.jpg

Last edited by Michael Pikula on Tue 25 Jan, 2011 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jan, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Up next is a lugged viking spearhead, forged from a single bar of L6. I would require about 2 days to put the final finish on this piece and have it ready to ship. I also have a round 7' ash haft that it can be mounted on.

Spear is sold

The blade is 12" from the socket, and only about 2/3 of the blade is sharp.

The Lugs are brazed in place

Attachment: 78.2 KB
sp2.jpg

Attachment: 46.15 KB
sp1.jpg

Last edited by Michael Pikula on Tue 25 Jan, 2011 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jan, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lastly I have a pattern welded seax blade, the spin has two rods of twisted L6/W2 welded onto a L6 edge. It may seem small and light but this guy is a great cutter and very handy. There is a little bit of nose dive that occurred in the heat treat, I didn't bother trying to take it out since this is a feature that is seen on many originals and adds a bit of "bite"

Blade length : 20.5"
Blade width at shoulder : 1.25"
current tang length : 6.5"
Weight : 13oz.

sold payment pending

Attachment: 133.03 KB
seax.jpg

Last edited by Michael Pikula on Mon 31 Jan, 2011 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Mark T

Spotlight topics: 2

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 21 Jan, 2011 1:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Michael,

That falchion is georgeous ... I like the double clip very much - we don't see enough of those around on reproductions, despite their existence in a few period sources. Great stuff!

Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!
Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jan, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the complement Mark, even though the falchion needs more work to be done it is one of those pieces that I am really looking forward to finishing.

The prices are generous since I feel a touch off for posting unfinished work in an effort to find them a patron. There is nothing wrong or off with the pieces, I just can't afford to work on them right now, and would love to finish them in a timely manner. Eventually I'll find the time, and currently they are an awesome distraction from working on the projects I need to work on. So I figure it is a good deal for both parties, someone will get a great sharp and pointy object, I get to finish the project, everybody wins and is happy. Big Grin
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jan, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice work. I hope you find the time to finish them up sometime soon. The falchion is coming along nicely and I still love the inlay viking sword.
Matthew Stagmer
Maker of custom and production weaponry
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jan, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Matt, if these are still around in a few months I'll do my best to finish up the falchion and bring it to your hammer in with the inlayed blade. Hopefully we can do some test cutting with them as well!
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jan, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Pikula wrote:
Up next is a lugged viking spearhead, forged from a single bar of L6. I would require about 2 days to put the final finish on this piece and have it ready to ship. I also have a round 7' ash haft that it can be mounted on.

Asking $350 for the spear head, add $60 for mounting on haft.

The blade is 12" from the socket, and only about 2/3 of the blade is sharp.

The Lugs are brazed in place

Well, I can't resist much longer and the price is just too tempting plus I'm happy to help out getting one of these pieces finished, so I will P.M. and/or e-mail to talk details and make the order official. Wink ( So unless someone got to it first lets say that the sale is " pending " at least at my end ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Mon 24 Jan, 2011 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jan, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Jean!

The spearhead is pending contingent on the details getting worked out and socket specs. Happy

Also the only items that have not been spoken for at this time are the Seax and the Ulfberht blade.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jan, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing it cleaned up with it's final finish. Happy Cool

Also happy to hear that some of the other patronless items have found a home.

At times makers show us things that are finished and ready to ship but this is almost just as good or better since the wait should be short for most of these and it does give people the opportunity to add or change a few things to their liking when you finish the pieces.

It's also fun and " different " to be adopting an orphaned commission. Wink Laughing Out Loud Cool

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 28 Jan, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well the Viking Spear has been finished and shipped. Big Grin Cool
Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 29 Jan, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are a few shots of the spear head all cleaned up, with a nail.

Attachment: 61.31 KB
DSCN1104.JPG

Attachment: 52.63 KB
DSCN1105.JPG

Attachment: 65.29 KB
DSCN1108.JPG

Attachment: 58.29 KB
DSCN1110.JPG

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 29 Jan, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Pikula wrote:
Here are a few shots of the spear head all cleaned up, with a nail.

Hurrah ! And it's all mine. Wink Laughing Out Loud Cool

Sort of being " mean " to all those who might have been tempted to buy this one and waited too long to make up their minds or those who now seeing the finished piece realize what they are missing. Wink Razz ( Well, like I said a little " mean " ).

Well, one could always decide to order one like it or another kind of spear or polearm from Michael. Wink Wink Big Grin

I also see that the Falchion seems to be also sold or pending. Happy Cool

Robert Muse

Feedback score: 100%
(2 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 31 Jan, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Seax         Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I just got the two seaxs from Michael. I have a couple of other of his creations and he never fails to deliver. They are both excellent, but the langsax is really stunning, fast and deceptively light, making for a very fast recovery. Michael said the sheath wasn’t fancy, but it is really a great work, very well made and actually a very handsome compliment to the langsax. As a closing comment, I have never received a custom or stock item as sharp as he got these. I’m glad no one else snapped these up.

So, yes, I am very happy as always with Michael’s work. He has always been a gentleman to deal with and I hope to see more great items.

Robert
Scott Roush
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jan, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

very nice stuff Michael.. that spear and the pattern welding are top notch.

we need to get together soon. I have a bunch more of that wrought chain pictured in my WIP.

http://www.bigrockforge.com
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 04 Feb, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just received the Spear head this morning and I'm impressed but not surprised by the quality of the work. Happy Cool

I will be making a REVIEW Topic to get into more detail about my impressions about the spear head.

Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Fri 04 Feb, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Just received the Spear head this morning and I'm impressed but not surprised by the quality of the work. Happy Cool

I will be making a REVIEW Topic to get into more detail about my impressions about the spear head.

Great grab Jean, I was seriously looking at that piece. Please mount it, stab some stuff, take some photos and write your review soon!

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > A few projects searching for a patron
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic