Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Alternative Del Tin Falcata? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
T Franks

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jan, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Alternative Del Tin Falcata?         Reply with quote

I came across this falcata on the Del Tin site. It is not their typical falcata that is offered from various retailers. It appears to be more of a "horse-head" type. I'm not sure if it is new, or perhaps it has been on their site for awhile and i've never seen it before? I've tried googling for some more info but havn't found much. I sent Del Tin a query, but I figured i'd share it with you guys till I get some info, or maybe someone else might know. Heck, maybe someone here might even be interested in it.

http://www.deltin.it/negoziovirtuale.htm
David Wilson

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jan, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmmm, very interesting! It looks like Fulvio may have changed the hilt assembly to a more accurate "full tang" or "grip tang" construction. Please let us know if/when you find out more info!

ps. The Claymore (claidheamh da laimh) has a wheel pommel. Is this a new model...?

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jan, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Where did you find that page? I can't locate it at the Del Tin website.

Prodotti in Offerta -pezzi di pronta consegna translates more or less as - products on sale - pieces ready for delivery.

I think these may be things kicking around the shop that Fulvio wants to clear out - discontinued models, prototypes, one-off experiments, variations or older versions of existing stuff, etc. There are some things there that I've never seen before, like the D-guard knives.
Christopher Treichel

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jan, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

sciabola da champagne. I think those last three were made for sabrage... ie opening champagne bottles
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jan, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher Treichel wrote:
sciabola da champagne. I think those last three were made for sabrage... ie opening champagne bottles

Sabering the cork off champagne bottles - I'd never heard of that. It looks like something to be practiced only by people who really know what they are doing. I just looked at some Youtube videos chronicling Sabrage gone wrong - broken glass and spilled champagne amid drunken laughter.

It's curious that Del Tin would make some champagne sabers.
Matt Corbin

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jan, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Where did you find that page? I can't locate it at the Del Tin website.

Prodotti in Offerta -pezzi di pronta consegna translates more or less as - products on sale - pieces ready for delivery.

I think these may be things kicking around the shop that Fulvio wants to clear out - discontinued models, prototypes, one-off experiments, variations or older versions of existing stuff, etc. There are some things there that I've never seen before, like the D-guard knives.

http://www.deltin.net/home.htm

Click on "Online Shop"....it will take you to that page.

THere are some nice things there. I'm particularly digging # 47 the "spada longobarda"

“This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle.”
- R. Ewart Oakeshott
Michael B.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jan, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:

Sabering the cork off champagne bottles - I'd never heard of that. It looks like something to be practiced only by people who really know what they are doing. I just looked at some Youtube videos chronicling Sabrage gone wrong - broken glass and spilled champagne amid drunken laughter.

Not to derail too much, much it's really not that hard, like anything, there are tricks and tips, and then practice. There is definitely a right and wrong way though. I've learned how, and is quite fun. I sometimes end our fight shows popping champagne with the sword with the armour still on. Even done properly though, you typically spill a small amount of the bubbly, don't do it over carpet!!

A Del Tin blade just for it would be cool actually, I use whatever, but it would definitely make it easier.

www.facebook.com/bearmountainforge2
Michael Bergstrom
T Franks

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jan, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matt Corbin wrote:

There are some nice things there. I'm particularly digging # 47 the "spada longobarda"
That looks pretty neat too. Hmm, that looks different from their normal Lombard sword too. I guess it's not just the falcata that's different.
Matt Corbin

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jan, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think it's the model 2072 just with a scabbard. It's one of their swords that you really don't see very often. Which is really too bad because it's a beautiful blade.

http://www.deltin.net/2072.htm

“This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle.”
- R. Ewart Oakeshott
T Franks

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jan, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matt Corbin wrote:
I think it's the model 2072 just with a scabbard. It's one of their swords that you really don't see very often. Which is really too bad because it's a beautiful blade.

http://www.deltin.net/2072.htm
It's pretty neat that it already has a scabbard with it too Cool
Christopher Treichel

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jan, 2011 7:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:

Actually not that difficult... served with some French Army Officers overseas for a few months who liked to do it alot... one gent showed that you could even do it with a butter knife... just take the back edge of the knife/sword and rub it with the knife sideways up and down the neck of the bottle a few times and then with sudden force and the blade backwards slide/hit the rim of the bottle right below the cork. this knocks the top of the bottle off cleanly and the foam keep glass out of the bottle... most folks think you actually hit the bottle like you were trying to decapitate it... that will only damage everything insight... if done right no glass will go into the bottle and it looks kind of cool, but not something I would ever do with a sword or knife I actually like.
T Franks

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jan, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Wilson wrote:
Hmmm, very interesting! It looks like Fulvio may have changed the hilt assembly to a more accurate "full tang" or "grip tang" construction. Please let us know if/when you find out more info!
Hiya David, I got a response from Fulvio. The falcata that is on sale at his website was made for his collection some years ago and he made two samples. It was reproduced by a photo that he found in a book (I don't know which one specifically). He has put it in his collection and decided to sell some double pieces.The blade has the same lenght of the falcata 202/A and its grip is made in two riveted plates of wood, with steel parts in its blade.

Man, I feel bad expressing my interest to him and not making the purchase Worried . I'm just in the middle of getting a few things, so it's not in my budget right now. Hopefully it will find a nice home soon. Or... It will be there waiting for me somewhere down the line Razz
William M

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jan, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I much prefer that falcata to the original one with the brass hilt.
The grip looks much nicer although a little crude, for me it better represents what I often see in museums. Though those swords are without the wood.

I am however a bit hesistant to buy as the reviews of the brass hilted sword are not great and it looks... like this shares the same blade?
T Franks

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jan, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William M wrote:
I am however a bit hesistant to buy as the reviews of the brass hilted sword are not great and it looks... like this shares the same blade?
I havn't heard much word on the brass del tin myself. I've seen a review on the Windlass Steelcrafts version here on myArmoury though. Seems like a decent sword for the price range. I've always thought that Del Tins were at least of the same quality as Windlass, if not better Worried . So i've heard anyways. I don't own one yet from either maker though.
William M

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jan, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah, I forgot about museumreplicas and deltin being seperate companies! The two brass hilted swords look so simliar I often take them for being the same blade.

I thought deltin swords were generally thicker and less balanced for use as a sharp than other swords. Something to do with them all being made as blunts due to Italian law.
David Wilson

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jan, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Del Tin "brass-hilt" falcata is a good sword, although historically inaccurate.... all similar swords (Such as those by Windlass and Deepeeka) are based on the Del Tin. I own one, purchased from MRL about 20 years ago, or so.....

That being said, this falcata looks to be an improvement (in terms of accuracy) over the old one... I wish Fulvio would add it to his regular line-up, and replace the inaccurate "brass hilt"....

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Alternative Del Tin Falcata?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic