Historical accuracy of a modern replica
Hello all,

Found this sword on a czech maker's web site :
http://www.armorymarek.com/public/default/use...rd/e65.jpg
http://www.armorymarek.com/public/default/use...d/e65k.jpg

I love its aspect, but I'm curious about its historical accuracy... The guard especially, with this combination of a double set of side rings and "crab-claw" quillons, strikes me as rather strange. I've dug all around this site's extensive image library and found nothing alike, except maybe the second sword from the right on this picture : http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/photo/1140.html

I'm curious about the pommel too, I love this shape but would like to see a period original with the same one, especially with engravings on it as this one has...

In short, if anyone has thoughts about the historical accuracy or plausibility of this piece, I'd be grateful... Thanks in advance!

All the best,

Simon
I'm sorry I cannot help you with that particular sword, but thank you for introducing me to Armory Marek. I've never heard of them before, but they have alot of helmets that are catching my eye. I'm sure someone can chime in to help you about that sword soon.
No problem T Frank, and glad you found interesting things on Armory Marek's website ! They indeed have many beautiful pieces of armour !
There's something about it that makes me think that the individual pieces and proportions aren't quite historically correct. Having said that, there's also something about it that is attractive to me! I like these oddballs.
I've recently ordered a few items from Armory Marek; recently enough that they are still in production, so I can't give any real review here. One thing that I never found on their website, and found out by asking is that all of their swords are apparently blunts intended for practice/freeplay. Which is exactly what I wanted, but may not be for others. That doesn't mean they won't make you a sharp if you want one. You would have to ask.
I hear you Nathan, I too am struck between "hmmm, this one's odd and doesn't seem very historical" and "wow, this one is beautiful and original!" (I'm a sucker for all-metal grips and elongated "scent-stopper" pommels...).

Well, I'll continue searching for some historical justification for it then... :D

PS : Craig, the FAQ on Armory Marek's website says :
Quote:
The arm blades are made of spring steel 14260, 15260 with 52-54 HRC hardness, have rounded edges and point. Nevertheless, sharp blades can also be provided.

All the best, Simon
Simon G. wrote:

PS : Craig, the FAQ on Armory Marek's website says :
Quote:
The arm blades are made of spring steel 14260, 15260 with 52-54 HRC hardness, have rounded edges and point. Nevertheless, sharp blades can also be provided.

All the best, Simon

So it does. :eek: :blush:
Heh, no worries Craig... I've been lurking on Armory Marek's website for a year, I must've looked at nearly all of his pages, so I've got an unfair advantage ;)

Plus, the first time I learned he could make his blades sharp is when I asked him long ago, hadn't seen the information in the FAQ either :blush:

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: