I'm looking for images of troops and battles
Hi all,

I'm looking for images. Be they paintings, sketches, woodprint, engravings, carvings, or even etcetera.

I'm looking for images of troops drawn up for battle, and battle lines that have been joined. From any time up to and including Pike and Shot.

If you have the information regarding the date of the artwork and maybe the country, well that'd be just gravy.

Any helpers?

Dave
Try Cranston Fine Arts, they have gobs of paintings ans illustrations from all periods of military history. Spendy , though.

By Urs Graf, Schrecken des Kriegs,1521. Battle of Marignano. Swiss fighting Albanian Stradiots.

Hans Funk, THe Old and the New Confederate, 1532, top detail. Battle of Novara. Swiss fighting Landsnkecht.

You can also find some here:
http://www.thearma.org/arttalk/ArtTalk.htm

Attachment: 189.62 KB
Bad-war.jpg
Albrecht Durer, [i]Bad War[/i]

Attachment: 138.05 KB
Pavia.jpg
Battle of Pavia

Attachment: 41.08 KB
Marignano.jpg
Battle of Marignano
Greg Coffman wrote:

By Urs Graf, Schrecken des Kriegs,1521. Battle of Marignano. Swiss fighting Albanian Stradiots.

Hans Funk, THe Old and the New Confederate, 1532, top detail. Battle of Novara. Swiss fighting Landsnkecht.

You can also find some here:
http://www.thearma.org/arttalk/ArtTalk.htm

Great sources, but I believe the one labelled durer bad war is actually by Hans Holbein the younger
Check out this massive panorama of the Battle of Murten in 1476. It was painted by 1893 by Louis Braun et al. I haven't been able to find a single big picture of the whole thing, but the site lets you pan around and zoom in and out. Lots of detail to examine.
Mrak E.Smith wrote:

Great sources, but I believe the one labelled durer bad war is actually by Hans Holbein the younger

Yes, I believe you're right. Thanks.

Greg

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: