Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Maille question Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
James C. Whitley

PostPosted: Sun 26 Dec, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Maille question         Reply with quote

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'm sorry that, for my first post, I have to ask yet another question about maille; but I have searched the forums, and could find no answer to my question. I am hopeful that at least one of you will deign to answer it.

About how much noise does a coat of maille make? For argument's sake, let's say a knee-length, three-quarter sleeve, 4-in-1, riveted-mail hauberk. Does wearing a gambeson underneath it help? How about a surcoat over it? Obviously I'm not looking for scientific data here, but some feedback from those who have walked, rode, and fought in it would be most appreciated.

Yours very truly,
James Whitley
Gabriele A. Pini

PostPosted: Sun 26 Dec, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello James and happy New Year!

I have a knee long hauberk and the noise is for the majority given from the flaps of the legs when I walk: they hit my knees and jingle like bells. For the rest the mail is much less noisy than a plate armor: when you walk at a sedate pace or do some other normal activities the links tend to stay in place under they own weight.

I think that if I can found a system to block the flaps the mail can be very quiet (with the arms I don't have the same problem: the integrated gauntlets block the mail).

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Maille question
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic