Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Where to find maille standards? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Sat 25 Dec, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Where to find maille standards?         Reply with quote

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but since it had to deal with reproduction armour I felt it was okay.

Does anyone know where to buy maile standards (collars)? They seem to have been pretty popular in the 15th century but internet searches bring up nothing...

If you can't buy them, are they one of those things people usually make themselves?

This is probably a noobie question but I didn't know where else I could find out.

Any information is appreciated. Happy

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women; thus your honor will grow. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honor in wars." -Johannes Liechtenauer

"...And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one..." Luke 22:36
M van Dongen

PostPosted: Sat 25 Dec, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://www.getdressedforbattle.co.uk/acatalog...aille.html

That's one option.

http://historicenterprises.com/standard-alter...th=101_141

And that's two.
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Sun 26 Dec, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you, you've been very helpfull. Happy
"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women; thus your honor will grow. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honor in wars." -Johannes Liechtenauer

"...And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one..." Luke 22:36
Michael B.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 26 Dec, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To add to the list:
Ice Falcon
http://store.fastcommerce.com/icefalcon/top-q...183-c.html

www.facebook.com/bearmountainforge2
Michael Bergstrom
Augusto Boer Bront
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 26 Dec, 2010 4:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another one
http://www.battlemerchant.com/Chain-Mail:::5....3f07de20f3

Armourer-Artist-Blacksmith
www.magisterarmorum.com

Pinterest albums to almost all existing XIVth century armour.

Pinterest albums on almost all existing XVth century Italian armour.
D. Swift

Reading list: 108 books

PostPosted: Sun 26 Dec, 2010 6:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Also recommended: http://www.capapie.co.uk/standards.html
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 26 Dec, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like the one that stands up and covers the neck up high under the chin, those that end at the base of the neck don't really protect the neck in my opinion although they do add to shoulder protection.

I also wonder if there are not two types of these that resemble each other and might overlap in function: These would be the maille standard which I think should protect the neck and more or less cover the top of the shoulders and the much wide and deeper bishop's mantels that cover the shoulders and can extend to almost solar plexus level so function as well as an upper chest protection. Do some maille standard/bishop's mantels do both cover the upper chest but also have a high maille collar ?

Not helping you much in finding one but my question might be useful in deciding what type and what extent of coverage one would like or need depending on what other armour one is using with it.

I also imagine that when helms like sallets and armet became popular a full maille coif became obsolete even more so than when maille aventaile attached to the bottom rim of a bascinet made the full coif wasteful of maille since the maille over the head would be useless to uncomfortable under a helm: At this point a maille standard became a convenient and more flexible option to wearing a bevor or extra protection under the bevor and attaching maille to the bottom of a sallet doesn't make sense but the standard does the job the aventaille or the earlier full coif does and works well with the sallet's wide and deep sides to protetect the neck.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 26 Dec, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, maybe you could get a coif and cut of the top part leaving as much of the high neck coverage you might want ?

You might have to add some leather collar attached inside to the standard to be able to close it properly, stiffened/padded and not have it sag. Wink

Might be easier to find a full coif than a standard with a high collar ? All depends on what you can find out there and the prices of a cheap Indian made coif modified to a standard being lower than a custom made standard if you can't find one you like. Wink

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Sun 26 Dec, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yea I like the standup ones too, acording to my books they had thicker rings at the top to allow then to be stiff.

That's an intreresting idea jean, I already have a maile coif (although its butted Sad ) maybe I should try that...

David Teague

PostPosted: Mon 27 Dec, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert Hinds wrote:
Yea I like the standup ones too, acording to my books they had thicker rings at the top to allow then to be stiff.

Hi Robert,

I don't know about "Thicker" rings, but some had smaller rings at the top.

I always pad my standards and use buckles on the back.

(Hey, there's Bill Grandy !!! ) Wink

I use a hidden trauma plate for WMA. You don't have to if you just going to wear it with armour for show, but if your are going to take strikes to the neck I'd recommend it.

This free floating plate is made from 16 ga steel that is held in place with 2 layers of padding and buckskin. (I made this one for Bill Grandy)

If you are going to wear one with a 14th century harness or over a gambeson ,padding the whole standard makes sense.

If you are going to wear it with a later period harness, only pad the top 3 inches or so so it works with your armour. Bill's works great with his fencing gambeson but won't work with his 15th century harness.

If I were you I'd order the standard from HE as Jeff has them in stock right now, is in the US and his company is good folks to deal with. The one I made for Bill is made with one from Ice, Andre is great to deal with too, but some times you have to wait a few months for your order to show up.

I've been meaning to post a DIY article on how to set up a maille standard for use for some time now. I think they kick @ss as a piece of freeplay gear with the longsword as they don't restrict movement.

Cheers,

David

This you shall know, that all things have length and measure.

Free Scholar/ Instructor Selohaar Fechtschule
The Historic Recrudescence Guild

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Where to find maille standards?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic