Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Wanted: milanese pauldrons Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jack Cowan

PostPosted: Fri 24 Dec, 2010 2:30 am    Post subject: Wanted: milanese pauldrons         Reply with quote

i'm looking for a basic pair of milanese pauldrons. i'm going to use them for jousting so i'd like them to have form and function...where should i start looking?
Jack Cowan

PostPosted: Fri 24 Dec, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i'd really like something like these pauldrons...

Attachment: 90.15 KB
4599_1095624588893_1174924317_30289082_4808106_n.jpg

Attachment: 56.2 KB
4599_1095624788898_1174924317_30289087_2103240_n.jpg

Attachment: 67.74 KB
4599_1095624868900_1174924317_30289089_2516209_n.jpg

Zac Evans

PostPosted: Fri 24 Dec, 2010 2:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Get them made for you by a respected custom armourer. In america, I can think of two still working, but I'm sure there are a few more I haven't heard of.

Historic Enterprises

Wasson Artistry

Also, what is that guy in the picture doing? Pauldrons, great helm and no breastplate? Someone needs to do some research.
Jack Cowan

PostPosted: Fri 24 Dec, 2010 3:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

we do stunt shows at renaissance faires in the u.s..... he's well aware of not historically accurate....he actually started tobias capwell's jousting career!!when you do 10 show a weekend falling off your horse every show, for 40 weeks sometimes your comfort comes to mind... thanks for the links very helpful! do you know any good armorers that work in stainless? every thing i've found isn't the best looking...
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 24 Dec, 2010 5:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've moved this topic out of the Marketplace Talk forum. That forum is only for people seeking to buy used items from other readers. It is not for the seeking or giving of advice of any kind.

Thank you.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Zac Evans

PostPosted: Fri 24 Dec, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry mate, I don't know, but then I've never asked anyone to make me anything out of stainless.

I don't understand how less armour would be better for falling off? Or how a greathelm would be more comfortable than an armet?
Josh Warren

PostPosted: Fri 24 Dec, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

GDFB makes the only ready-to-go, off-the-shelf pair of Milanese pauldrons that I can think of off the top of my head.

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...+Shoulders

Non Concedo
Jack Cowan

PostPosted: Fri 24 Dec, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Zac Evans wrote:
Sorry mate, I don't know, but then I've never asked anyone to make me anything out of stainless.

I don't understand how less armour would be better for falling off? Or how a greathelm would be more comfortable than an armet?

well maybe you should try falling off a running horse a couple hundred times in armor and with out, then maybe you could form a valid opinion...

thanks for moving the post to the proper place...
Zac Evans

PostPosted: Fri 24 Dec, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jack Cowan wrote:

well maybe you should try falling off a running horse a couple hundred times in armor and with out, then maybe you could form a valid opinion...

Having seen Toby Capwell peeled out of his saddle by his forehead while I was working at Hampton Court Palace joust, and get back up and continue the competition , I know what I'd prefer already. It was on gravel path as well.

Then there was the time Sean George was bucked off a horse 5 times in 15 minutes. Thankfully his cuirass saved him from harm, and once his horse was switched he went on to win that joust.

I myself haven't fallen off a horse while in armour yet, although I do ride them in it. Like here. Talking to the people I have worked with, it sounds like armour is the way to go, but I'll let you know if I change my mind once my opinion becomes valid.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 24 Dec, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Folks,
I'm seeing people starting to get a little upset. That's not necessary, especially considering that the part of the conversation that's getting people riled up is off-topic to the original question.

Let's stay nice, polite, and civil. It's how things are supposed to work on this site. Plus, it's Christmas. Happy If we can't be charitable and understanding at this time of year, we have no chance the rest of the year. Happy

Let's get back on topic and back to being nice all around.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jeffrey Hedgecock
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 24 Dec, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Having been mentioned here, being an armourer who also jousts competitively worldwide, and having come off horses enough while armed to be able to speak from experience...

I must agree with Zac.

Anyone coming off a horse will be better off if wearing properly made, properly fitted armour. That's because if properly made and fitted, the armour performs it's intended function as a second skin, it -supports- the body on impact, be it from a lance or the ground.

Improperly fitting armour can be hazardous. I believe poorly fitting armour is why many people often believe it's detrimental to wear armour when falling off a horse. Because most armourers don't know what they're doing when making jousting armour, people get junk and get hurt while wearing it. If the armour doesn't fit, it's more of a liability than a benefit.

Armour works when it's made right. If it's made wrong it can hurt you rather than protect you, especially if it doesn't fit.

That's not to say that ANY armour will protect you completely from hundreds of falls off horses. No armour will protect forever when subjected to continued abuse, especially without proper maintenance. It's a fact that the human body will only survive a limited amount of abuse, regardless of whether it's clad in good or bad armour. Falling off horses takes its toll eventually, even if you're wearing really good armour. One should have realistic views of what can be expected from armour, but it's good to start with good equipment if you want your body to do well over time.

Sorry to be blunt, but I believe I have the qualifications to speak on this issue.

Cheers,

Jeffrey Hedgecock
Historic Enterprises, Inc.
WorldJoust Tournaments™
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Fri 24 Dec, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James Arlen Gillaspie http://mysite.verizon.net/tulkaz/index.html and Brent Junkins http://www.anshelmarms.com/ both have exceptional records as business people from what I have gathered, have done solid historically designed/shaped work, and have both worked in stainless. I would underscore Jeff's work as well, but I know he prefers spring steel.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Wanted: milanese pauldrons
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic