Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Ragnar - a custom viking sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sun 19 Dec, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Ragnar - a custom viking sword         Reply with quote

I recently completed another great project with Tim Seaton. This time around he asked me to make him a viking sword and sent me just a view guidelines. Tim seems to always leave most of the details up to me and it's nice to get the creative juices flowing.

He wanted the sword to be based off of our production viking blade but with the fuller extended towards the tip more and fully polished.

Here is what I came up with.

Tim named the sword Ragnar shortly after recieving it. I had been refering to it as the Sword of Seaton.

Wrought Iron hilt, handle spacer and pommel cross.
Steel trilobe
Copper handle spacers
Antler handle

For more pictures and a video please visit our website http://baltimoreknife.com/ragnar.htm

Comments are always welcome,
Matt

Matthew Stagmer
Maker of custom and production weaponry
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
Tim Seaton

PostPosted: Sun 19 Dec, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: RAGNAR         Reply with quote

good morro all

i talked to matt a while age and ask him to forge me a custom viking sword I gave him a few ideas and left the rest up to him Cool
Matt took a few ideas and then came up with a amazing sword and hilt constuction is priceless
I am very blessed to have Matt and Kerry at B.K.S as friends and sword makers
i highly recommend Matt at B.K.S to any one who truly appreciates custom sword work

happy holiday all
tseaton
Bryan W.

PostPosted: Sun 19 Dec, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm fortunate to live relatively near BKS and recently commissioned something from them. I tend to be a little more exacting but they were quick to come up with some cool suggestions. Can hardly wait to see what they create ultimately.
Isaac H.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Sun 19 Dec, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nicely done!! I've always loved BKS workmanship,but this is something else. Cool The stage by stage video of this sword's construction was also higly informative.I find this project to be especially inspiring for me personally because I just so happen to be in the middle of hilting my own viking sword Wink Big Grin
Awesome all around

Wounds of flesh a surgeons skill may heal...

But wounded honor is only cured with steel.

We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves.
Each of us should please his neighbor for his good ,to build him up.
Romans 15:1-2
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Mon 20 Dec, 2010 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: RAGNAR         Reply with quote

Tim Seaton wrote:
good morro all

i talked to matt a while age and ask him to forge me a custom viking sword I gave him a few ideas and left the rest up to him Cool
Matt took a few ideas and then came up with a amazing sword and hilt constuction is priceless
I am very blessed to have Matt and Kerry at B.K.S as friends and sword makers
i highly recommend Matt at B.K.S to any one who truly appreciates custom sword work

happy holiday all
tseaton

You are a very fortunate Viking indeed! The hilt furniture is very attractive and nicely executed. Happy
Are you a transplanted Minnesota Vikings fan in California? (You did name your sword Ragnar. Wink )

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 20 Dec, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Isaac H. wrote:
Very nicely done!! I've always loved BKS workmanship,but this is something else. Cool The stage by stage video of this sword's construction was also higly informative.Wink Big Grin
Awesome all around

Well said and since I can't say it better, the reason for quoting the above. Wink Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 21 Dec, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bryan W. wrote:
I'm fortunate to live relatively near BKS and recently commissioned something from them. I tend to be a little more exacting but they were quick to come up with some cool suggestions. Can hardly wait to see what they create ultimately.

Cant wait to get started on this project. Smallswords have always been a favorite of ours.

Matthew Stagmer
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 21 Dec, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Isaac H. wrote:
Very nicely done!! I've always loved BKS workmanship,but this is something else. Cool The stage by stage video of this sword's construction was also higly informative.I find this project to be especially inspiring for me personally because I just so happen to be in the middle of hilting my own viking sword Wink Big Grin
Awesome all around

Good to know. Glad it helped a little bit. This sword just went together perfectly. I noticed that I didnt add any of the blade making to the video so maybe I will post them here if anyone wants to see.

Matthew Stagmer
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 21 Dec, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's cool you used wrought on the hilt. Do you have a shot that shows the sheen you utilized on the iron?
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 22 Dec, 2010 5:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
That's cool you used wrought on the hilt. Do you have a shot that shows the sheen you utilized on the iron?

In the video it shows the finish right before I etched. I think they were polished to a 400 then hit on a scothbrite wheel that smoothes the grain out a bit more and then etched. I often use hand scotchbrite during the etch. I do a lighter etch on wrought then most. I just like the subtle colors to come out and not so much a texture change.

Matthew Stagmer
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 22 Dec, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Stagmer wrote:
Jeremy V. Krause wrote:

In the video it shows the finish right before I etched. I think they were polished to a 400 then hit on a scothbrite wheel that smoothes the grain out a bit more and then etched. I often use hand scotchbrite during the etch. I do a lighter etch on wrought then most. I just like the subtle colors to come out and not so much a texture change.

Thanks- a very nice video. I like the sheen you arrived at and your musical selection for the video. Cool
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 22 Dec, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Matthew Stagmer wrote:
Jeremy V. Krause wrote:

Thanks- a very nice video. I like the sheen you arrived at and your musical selection for the video. Cool

Nothing like some VIking Jazz Happy

Matthew Stagmer
Youtube.com/ThatWorks

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Ragnar - a custom viking sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic