Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Pics from the Rothenburg Imperial Museum Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael Ekelmann

PostPosted: Sun 12 Dec, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject: Pics from the Rothenburg Imperial Museum         Reply with quote

http://picasaweb.google.com/10696555995709463...9D71_vaQw#

My family and I visited Rothenburg ob der Tauber, a walled city in Germany's Franconia region. These pictures are from the Reichstadt Museum, mostly, plus some pics of the city and other places.

“Men prefer to fight with swords, so they can see each other's eyes!" Sean Connery as Mulay Hamid El Raisuli in The Wind and the Lion
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Sun 12 Dec, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

WOW! Those photos are great. I can't thank you enough for posting them, so many fascinating pieces.
..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 12 Dec, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for posting these pictures Michael! I must compliment you on your excellent photography of some very fine pieces. I especially like the viking swords and the ear dagger is simply beautiful! Thank you for sharing.
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 12 Dec, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting pics! Thanks for sharing.
www.elchon.com

Polish Guild of Knifemakers

The sword is a weapon for killing, the art of the sword is the art of killing. No matter what fancy words you use or what titles you put to
it that is the only truth.
Moses Jones

PostPosted: Sun 12 Dec, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for posting those pictures they are fantastic.
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Sun 12 Dec, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael,

Thank you for posting your images. They brought back some very fond memories. How wonderful that you were able to visit "the" Christmas store with snow on the ground. Happy

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Scott Brown

PostPosted: Mon 13 Dec, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This museum is marvelous! The weapons are largely from a private collection turned into the museum and there are a lot of very unique pieces there. I spent two long days documenting a lot of them but that was nowhere near enough time! Glad you found this gem of a museum. Happy
Member, WMAC
wmacoalition.com
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You mean the norman style helm in the first two pics is original??????

That would be great news
Peter Marinus

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rothenburg is beautiful! The whole region breathes history. I go there frequently. (Everytime I'm in the area, which can be two or three times a year.) There's a little shop called 'Die Waffenkammer' (The Armoury) which carries Hanwei/CAS and Del Tin, as well as loads of fantastical wallhangers. (At least, last time they had some Del Tins. I now own one which I see as the start of my 'serious' collection Happy )

This museum managed to slip my attention, though! A lot of really interesting weapons. (Is that one of those really widebladed rapiers that A&A and windlass make replicas of? Sixth row of pics, second from right. Never seen one of those for real.)
Thanks for posting about this place! Now I have a reason to go to Rothenburg next year! Big Grin
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Thu 16 Dec, 2010 6:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Marinus wrote:
There's a little shop called 'Die Waffenkammer' (The Armoury) which carries Hanwei/CAS and Del Tin, as well as loads of fantastical wallhangers. (At least, last time they had some Del Tins. I now own one which I see as the start of my 'serious' collection Happy )

Our next trip through Germany is going to include Rothenburg again, only this time I'll have a camera that doesn't suck. Can you tell me where Die Waffenkammer is located in Rothenburg? It sounds like a great shop to blow a few hours (and some cash) in.

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Michael Ekelmann

PostPosted: Sat 18 Dec, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If I'm thinking of the same store it's on the main street that leads from the Spitallgasse Tor to the markplatz and Rathaus square. They have an indoor fish pond that fascinated my daughter, she loves to watch fish, especially ones like koi.

All the armour and weapons in the pictures were originals, or at least the museum displayed them that way. There was a ton more to see in the Reichstadt museum, I just didn't have the heart to ask my wife to take pictures of every thing in the arms and armour rooms! The Crime and Justice museum is worth a visit as well. There are manuscripts detailing how judicial duels must be fought, executioner's swords and axes, bearing and parade weapons, along with some serious torture devices.

“Men prefer to fight with swords, so they can see each other's eyes!" Sean Connery as Mulay Hamid El Raisuli in The Wind and the Lion

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Pics from the Rothenburg Imperial Museum
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic